Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Question For Spyder Owners - Storage Related

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011 | 12:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Question For Spyder Owners - Storage Related

What are your thoughts are on how to store the sun cover. Here are the scenarios.

1. Keep the rear buttresses of the top disconnected so that the top isn't pulled down tight.

2. Disconnect the cord which holds the cross brace in place while in storage.

I'm thinking that by doing above the top will be there to protect the interior but it won't be stressed.

Note that I will have the car under an indoor car cover for dust protection.

Anyone do the same and or does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 11-20-2011 | 01:42 AM
balakris
Instructor

What's the issue with leaving it "stressed"?
Old 11-20-2011 | 11:45 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by balakris
What's the issue with leaving it "stressed"?
I'm just thinking that over time the material will stretch to the point that it either fails or becomes loose and needs to be replaced.

I guess I shouldn't worry that much since the top isn't that expensive and it's easy to replace.

I was just curious if doing the above would improve the lifespan.

I noticed you live in Raleigh, we are considering moving down that way in the coming months and we have been spending the last couple of weeks learning about the area.
Old 11-21-2011 | 11:40 PM
balakris
Instructor

Raleigh is great. Also a great Porsche community down here with both the Hurricane region and Carolinas region to choose from. Lots of jobs, great climate year round. I'm originally from Austin, TX.

However if you enjoy the big city, you will miss that here.
Old 11-22-2011 | 08:22 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I know the Porsche community is active down there and I also know that it is probably the #2 spot in the US for great driving roads.

Fortunately I will have a job that lets me live anywhere on the East Coast (North Carolina and North). We are trying to figure out exactly which part of the Raleigh Durham area is best. Specifically we want either really good public schools or maybe the possibility to get our kids into a Charter School.

We live 50 minutes from Boston and visit maybe 3 times a year. We won't miss the city!
Old 11-24-2011 | 02:50 PM
medtech
Drifting

Afshin,

If you are storing it for the winter I would go with #1 & 2. However, I would probably put tension back on it for about a week per month so nothing deforms.

Mostly I'm thinking about the part that contacts the windows. If that warps even slightly, you may not get a good seal.

I doubt it's really necessary, but if you're looking to extend the life of the top, that's what I would do.

A

Quick Reply: Question For Spyder Owners - Storage Related