Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Anyone take their Spyders on road trips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:16 PM
autopc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone take their Spyders on road trips?

I am shopping for a fun weekend car that will see 3-4 road trips a year in good weather. Live in Midwest so the car will only be driven in nice weather. Probably about 3K-4K total miles driven per year. Each road trip is usually 3-4 days long and around 500-1000 miles each way. My brain is telling me to buy a 997.2 with PDK but my heart is yelling for a Spyder. Anyone take their Spyder on road trips? How long? I understand the Spyder is far from the perfect road trip car but can it be done? How is noise at highway speeds with the top up.

Or would you not suggest a Spyder for road trips? My other option is a 997.2?

A know a 997.2 would be a lot more practical but not as unique or as exciting.

Feedback appreciated!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Salj
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

I drove my Spyder across the state of FL last weekend for a track day at PBI. Car handled superbly even through monsoon downpour without any water leaking in. However, the car is very loud and was not optimal for my passenger over the 3.5 hours. PSE was not activated.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:36 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 56 Posts

Spyder is great for long road trips. Despite the little bit of wind noise with the top up, which I don't mind, it's a perfect cruiser on the highway with the top up and of course down. It's a very comfortable car, has 2 trunks, and gives you the ability to take some nice backroad twisties when you are tired of just cruising along in a straight line at comfortable highway speeds for a few hours.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

It all depends on one's personal requirements for quietness and comfort, and the options on the particular Spyder in question. AC and radio are optional, as are more comfortable 'sport' seats (compared to the standard sport bucket seats with very little padding or adjustment).

A Lexus it is not. But it is not an old MG, either. If there is one thing that surprised me about the Spyder, it is how normal and modern it feels, given its focus. That said, I don't see myself in the Spyder for more than a couple hours (unless the Spyder is the reason for the destination).
Old 09-12-2011, 07:41 PM
autopc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It all depends on one's personal requirements for quietness and comfort, and the options on the particular Spyder in question. AC and radio are optional, as are more comfortable 'sport' seats (compared to the standard sport bucket seats with very little padding or adjustment).

A Lexus it is not. But it is not an old MG, either. If there is one thing that surprised me about the Spyder, it is how normal and modern it feels, given its focus. That said, I don't see myself in the Spyder for more than a couple hours (unless the Spyder is the reason for the destination).
You bring up excellent points. I'd want the comfort options like a/c, radio, PDK, "sport" seats. The only issues for me might be the bikini top. Noise at highway speeds and security. I can't help but think about how someone can just slide their hand under the top? Do both the front and back storage compartments lock? I think I could do at least a few road trips no matter how much wind noise there is when the car is new. I am not sure if noise would deter me from other road trips after the initial novelty wears off?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Front and rear compartments lock the same as a regular Boxster and both would be safe places to store items. The front well is very deep and large and could easily hold a large duffel bag for two. WIth the top up I feel pretty comfortable leaving the car in public places although I wouldn't park it in a sketchy area since it does attract attention. The top is easy enough to put on/take off, i doubt it would deter you from driving the car.

As far as driving the car goes, it definitely is not a GT car and it is not geared towards comfort. It is a drivers car and it is designed to provide feedback to the driver. Most cars can provide comfort, acceleration and good cornering skills, the Spyder provides some comfort, great acceleration, incredible cornering skills and perfect feedback through the steering wheel and seat and it heightens the driving experience. This additional sensory input also increases fatigue and I'm usually very tired after spending 1/2 day behind the wheel. The sport buckets are very comfortable but they aren't going to be as comfortable and a heated/padded leather sport seat.

If you want a long distance cruiser I would consider the 997, if you want razor sharp capabilities and increased sensory inputs go with the Spyder!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:05 PM
batty
Instructor

I'd second Ashfin and Smithee's take on things. The longer and straighter the road trip the less ideal the Spyder becomes. Still, I've done numerous 6-7 hour day trips, 3-3.5 hours there and then back again. At the end of the day, you feel it in a satisfying, tired and weathered sort of way. Probably wouldn't want to jump in the Spyder and do another 6 or 7 hours the next day, but if any of those 6 or 7 hours involved winding, mountainous rouds, the experience will be burned into your memory for a lifetime.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:21 PM
autopc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by batty
I'd second Ashfin and Smithee's take on things. The longer and straighter the road trip the less ideal the Spyder becomes. Still, I've done numerous 6-7 hour day trips, 3-3.5 hours there and then back again. At the end of the day, you feel it in a satisfying, tired and weathered sort of way. Probably wouldn't want to jump in the Spyder and do another 6 or 7 hours the next day, but if any of those 6 or 7 hours involved winding, mountainous rouds, the experience will be burned into your memory for a lifetime.

Was it the size of the car, noise, firmness of the ride, focus due to quick response and handling that made you tired? Do you think you would feel the same after a drive in a Boxster S?

Any creature comforts? Do you have radio, a/c and optional "sport" seats or the sport buckets?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:47 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from a 800 mile weekend (300 miles to and fro, and 200 track miles Spyder was spectacular on the track and even with the top off for the return 300 mile leg. This car is fantastic!
Attached Images      

Last edited by 4forme; 09-14-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:20 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At some point during your trip(s), you might want to stop and take a break...or a short snooze. You can't do much in the Boxster to recline your seat, but the more conventional 911 interior layout is much more conducive to such breaks since the seats recline nicely.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:22 PM
MNSpyder
1st Gear

Flew from Minneapolis to Raleigh, NC to pick up my Spyder and drove it all the way home, had a blast, even the girlfriend did once she got the keys. Also made road trips to Kansas City and Chicago this summer. Great road tripping car. I thought it might be uncomfortable on long trips with the bucket seats but was pleasantly surprised. No a/c was never really an issue except for the Ryan Expressway in Chicago which was gridlock and mid 90's.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:08 AM
autopc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MNSpyder
Flew from Minneapolis to Raleigh, NC to pick up my Spyder and drove it all the way home, had a blast, even the girlfriend did once she got the keys. Also made road trips to Kansas City and Chicago this summer. Great road tripping car. I thought it might be uncomfortable on long trips with the bucket seats but was pleasantly surprised. No a/c was never really an issue except for the Ryan Expressway in Chicago which was gridlock and mid 90's.
Good to hear! Chicago traffic is grid lock all the time, everyday.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:56 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just spent 5.25 hours in the seat and drove 275 miles on a day trip. Felt like a million bucks when I got out!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:32 PM
autopc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by medtech
Just spent 5.25 hours in the seat and drove 275 miles on a day trip. Felt like a million bucks when I got out!
Do you have the sport buckets or sport seats?
Old 09-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by autopc
Do you have the sport buckets or sport seats?
Sport Buckets trump normal Sport Seats in every way. I have had both.

Some guys bring up heated seats with the normal seats, but I find there is no need because the Buckets hug you so well (and keep you perfectly warm if you are a sissy ) Alacantra is warm.

Quick Reply: Anyone take their Spyders on road trips?