Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder or GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:46 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Spyder or GTS?

Which would you choose? The Riviera one is very tempting, but I love everything about the Spyder.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:36 PM
gwc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very tough choice.

I considered a new 997 including the GTS prior to going with the spyder. I think it comes down to what one wants to do with the car. For me the spyder has a little more old school sports car feel that elicits some visceral feeling that I just do not get with the 997. I was just looking for a weekend toy, will probably never be lucky enough to make it to the track, so the spyder with its smaller scale, drop top, and all the other goodies was a easy choice for me. As porsche often reminds us, it is not always just about horsepower. The spyder is so unique.

having said that...That is one sweet GTS. Now, if I could only own one porsche and had to use it on a regular basis...I might choose a GTS.

The easy answer is get em both!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

What happened with the Azure Blue Spyder, did it fall through?

Want to buy my Basalt Spyder and I'll buy the Azure Blue?
Old 08-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

As Gary already stated, the right choice really depends upon what you want. The GTS would definitely be the more comfortably, roomy and luxurious daily driver while the Spyder will provide the sports car experience like nothing else.

Have you driven the GTS to compare it against the Spyder?

By the way, I was kidding about my earlier comment to buy my Basalt Spyder, she's a keeper.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:06 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 56 Posts

No the azure is still priority one. I have someone coming to look at my spyder tomorrow and also going to see what carmax says. I was at the races today and saw a few vintage 356 and 911 racers in non metallic navy colors and they all looked amazing. They may not have been azure, but very similar.

I can't explain how much I love and how perfect the Spyder is. Like others have said, many of us know how unique it is, it's truly a throw back to the purist cars of the 550, 356 eras. It looks like nothing else in the Boxster or Porsche lineup and has iconic styling and race car performance and comfort all rolled into one.

I guess my main problem is whatever car I choose will be my daily driver. I don't take people with me in the car often. I do have a bike and sometimes go surfing so a roof would be nice at times but I'm more the type that would get the spyder and borrow a friends car when need be.

Maybe I'm just sooooooooooo jealous that cayman is getting a riviera blue Spyder. This and Mexico Blue (I know very similar) have always been my all time fav Porsche color! I have not driven both to compare but I have read very positive reviews about the GTS. I guess one attraction to the GTS would be to spec and order my own assuming they are still in production. Obviously there is quite a price difference as well.

When I was born, I came back from the hospital in a 356, so whatever I choose, I want to have the soul and passion of excellence that Porsche represents.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:57 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

Old 08-14-2011, 07:14 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

As JSF 101 can tell you, I'm going through the same decision process. I have a Gen II base Cayman somewhat "improved for the track and autocross and a '09 Carrera S that I also enjoy and is somewhat personalized. Our local dealer is trying to get me to trade the C2S on a Cayman "R" allocation he has that I could configure. My conflict is that while I would like an "R" PTS Azura blue, why do I need to Caymans and two with similar suspension seats etc. plus I enjoy the Silver C2S. Probably keep what I have and enjoy the heck out of them.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:28 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

Even though I own a Spyder I probably would pick the Riviera Blue GTS over the Azure Spyder. Riviera Blue on that GTS is stunning. The perfect color for that car. I'm not a fan of the Azure blue on the Spyder plus it's loaded with options I wouldn't want. That being said, my Spyder was low $60s out the door. I wouldn't have paid another $50k for the GTS.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:40 PM
dagolfpro
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
Even though I own a Spyder I probably would pick the Riviera Blue GTS over the Azure Spyder. Riviera Blue on that GTS is stunning. The perfect color for that car. I'm not a fan of the Azure blue on the Spyder plus it's loaded with options I wouldn't want. That being said, my Spyder was low $60s out the door. I wouldn't have paid another $50k for the GTS.
What was the sticker and which dealership did you buy from? I'm looking at one with $73k sticker. Trying to figure out what I should pay. Thanks

Ren
Old 08-14-2011, 06:35 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by dagolfpro
What was the sticker and which dealership did you buy from? I'm looking at one with $73k sticker. Trying to figure out what I should pay. Thanks

Ren
I'm not going to be much help. The General Manager and I are good friends so I got an extra discount that a normal buyer wouldn't get. Also my car was one of the first in the country and Porsche dealers had no idea if the Spyder was going to popular or not. Now dealers are aware of the demand for the car. They probably aren't too receptive to large discounts. MSRP on my car was $68K.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
I can't explain how much I love and how perfect the Spyder is. Like others have said, many of us know how unique it is, it's truly a throw back to the purist cars of the 550, 356 eras. It looks like nothing else in the Boxster or Porsche lineup and has iconic styling and race car performance and comfort all rolled into one.

I guess my main problem is whatever car I choose will be my daily driver.

I guess one attraction to the GTS would be to spec and order my own assuming they are still in production.
I think you will find the GTS drives like a boat compared to the Spyder. At least that was my impression with a C2S around the auto-X course at one of those Porsche Experience driving events last year, and the GTS has the same suspension. Which is great if you want a GT car, but since you find the Spyder to be "perfect", the GTS will not be in comparison.

The GTS would make a better daily driver, but for the price of a PTS GTS, I imagine you could buy the Azure Spyder and a nice utility vehicle.

While the GTS is the ultimate 997 Carrera, and has indeed received great reviews, I'll bet it instantly looks old when the 991 makes its debut in a few weeks.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:07 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spyder! It is a special car.

Quick Reply: Spyder or GTS?