Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder - Annoying ticking / clicking from foot well?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 AM
balakris
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spyder - Annoying ticking / clicking from foot well?

I noticed some weeks back an annoying ticking sound when I drive over bumpier roads (surface streets, not highways). Its coming from the driver's side area above the pedals.

I tried isolating it myself to no avail. I took it in to see if the dealer could locate it. They strapped some of the wires down there with felt tape, but it is still there.

Anyone else run into this? It is most noticeable with the top up. I'm going to take this back in but wanted to see if anyone else had the issue. It's driving me nuts
Old 07-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Mine is dead quiet over the endless bumpy roads here in MA but I also only have about 1600 miles on the car.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:49 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ ditto, tight as a Porsche seems to always be

check this out; my wife noted a "ticking", which was the keychain bouncing against the dash collar around the ignition switch. I heard it, but knew what it was and paid no mind.

I'm sure you ruled that out however...
Old 07-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
^ ditto, tight as a Porsche seems to always be

check this out; my wife noted a "ticking", which was the keychain bouncing against the dash collar around the ignition switch. I heard it, but knew what it was and paid no mind.

I'm sure you ruled that out however...
Funny I noticed the exact same thing when I put a keychain on a couple of weeks ago. Testament to how quiet the cabin really is even though it's a convertible.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:42 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

Check the steering wheel or column. I have ticking in that area. It comes and goes. More noticeable at very low speeds. I haven't taken my car in yet.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No ticking in the front for me. Try turning off the Auto climate control- long shot.

The only "ticking" or rattling I have had on my Spyder were from the rear metal top snaps (when top is off). Annoying as hell. I replaced 2 of them and it went away.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:17 AM
balakris
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*Update

Took the car back into the dealer last Friday they ended up keeping it for nearly 4 days looking for the rattle. Turns out one of the cross-members near the footwell was not properly welded hence the sound. Here are some pictures of the area in question. Sorry for the grainy pictures, the dealer provided them.

The dealer called into Porsche. They recommended JB weld type compound to stop the rattle which worked! So happy to not have the rattle any more. FYI if anyone comes across this issue.

Quick Reply: Spyder - Annoying ticking / clicking from foot well?