Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder Car Cover Experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:20 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Spyder Car Cover Experience

I saw a post about a Boxster car cover, and there were some questions about whether it would fit for the Spyder. Here's what I use:

I don't have the part number, but my local dealer had a 996 Boxster outdoor Porsche cover. The parts guys said the 996 Boxster cover is better than the 997 Boxster cover, and they had one left, so we took it out to my Spyder to fit it. Your local dealer will know the exact difference, but I think the 996 cover was thicker, or better material (and a little cheaper).

I like the thicker material, even in my garage where my Spyder lives, on the chance I bump into it with something.

The cover fit tight, which is how I wanted it. When I use it outside it won't flap and scratch in the wind. It's silver on the outside with the Porsche logo on the front, and says "Boxster" on the back. Good camouflage if parking it at the airport, or in a public lot. The inside has the soft white fuzzy stuff.

It isn't tight across the humps in the back, but it's not that loose either. If it's really windy I'll put the sun top on, or not use the cover. I've never had the cover scratch or buff the car. I do carry a California Car Duster and clean any exhaust particles or grime off the back before I put the cover on, which keeps the cover inside clean, and reduces the chances of scratching.

The added benefit of the cover is that, when folded up in the front or the back, it keeps stuff from flying around on a curvy road.

The cover is so tight, you do need to put in on in a specific order (take it off in the reverse):

Pull it over one mirror.
Pull it over the next, stretching it across the windshield. The second mirror will have to be folded in just a bit to slip it over.
Fit it over the rear of the car, all the way down over the exhaust.
Pull it half way over one corner of the front.
Pull it all the way down on the other front corner.
Go back and pull it all the way over the initial front corner.

Sounds complicated, but it's brilliant and takes 30 seconds or less.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Thanks for the description. Was this an outdoor cover or indoor cover? I assume Outdoor since you use it outside.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:42 AM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

It is an outdoor cover.

Quick Reply: Spyder Car Cover Experience