Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Using arm restraints in Boxsters/Spyders?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:40 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Using arm restraints in Boxsters/Spyders?

I know a few Boxster/Spyder owners here track their cars.... and I was wondering how you have the arm restraints setup with the factory seat belt system, or if that's even possible. Thoughts and ideas?
Thanks!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:00 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lithium1330
I know a few Boxster/Spyder owners here track their cars.... and I was wondering how you have the arm restraints setup with the factory seat belt system, or if that's even possible. Thoughts and ideas?
Thanks!
not possible with factory seat belt and with harness it's impossible to give a point by which makes it really dangerous. My PCA chapter agreed that it was my call and I took the arm restraints off - I have 6 points harnesses.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:47 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Yes, it's possible with stock belts, you just loop them under the lap belt but it's certainly not optimal since they can slide around. I use them with my six points and I don't have a problem giving signals.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:43 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Not really applicable to arm restraints, but on a general note: be careful when adding additional restraints on a mostly stock car. It's important to only use upper body restraints in conjunction with a proper roll cage, lest your spine become the B-pillar in a rollover. Shoulder belts allow your body to roll out of the way, but 5/6-pt harnesses don't. I used to use a chest strap, but stopped due to this. SCCA specifically prohibits upper body restraint in cars without cages, I believe.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:36 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Yes, it's possible with stock belts, you just loop them under the lap belt but it's certainly not optimal since they can slide around. I use them with my six points and I don't have a problem giving signals.
Guess you have different length than mine... having said that, if you have no problem giving a signal, it probably means that they are not up to the job of keeping your hands in if you rolled... as I said, I'm taking that risk anyway so I'm not judging.
JM

Quick Reply: Using arm restraints in Boxsters/Spyders?