Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

A Case for the Cayman R vs the Spyder!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Rob T
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Rob have you driven a 987 Boxster? They are incredibly quiet with the top down, even at highway speeds of 70 mph you can have a normal conversation with the passenger. I test drove the Spyder with Sport Exhaust and I didn't think the noise was unreasonable. You might consider taking a test drive of both cars with your wife before making a decision.
Thanks, I will definitely do that. We aren't interested in a Boxster though. It will come down to the Spyder and a Cayman.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob T
Thanks, I will definitely do that. We aren't interested in a Boxster though. It will come down to the Spyder and a Cayman.
Sorry, I should have said Spyder.

This does make me wonder if the double humps in the back have any affect on overall wind noise when the top is off as compared to a standard Boxster. Anyone know?
Old 11-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Dig-It
Advanced

I don't remember there being any difference in wind noise between a Boxster S I test drove and the Spyder I purchased. Both had the wind deflector installed.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry, I should have said Spyder.

This does make me wonder if the double humps in the back have any affect on overall wind noise when the top is off as compared to a standard Boxster. Anyone know?
I don't recall any noticeable deference between my pass Boxster's and my current Spyder as far a wind noise goes. (top down comparison)
Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

the spyder is an absolute classic in the making. the proportions are perfect.
the cayman r is nice, but it's really a half-way house between the spyder and the gt3.
if you want a hard-top, get the gt3. if you can't afford a new one, get a 996; bargain at $50k.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Rob T
Advanced

Rob have you driven a 987 Boxster? They are incredibly quiet with the top down, even at highway speeds of 70 mph you can have a normal conversation with the passenger. I test drove the Spyder with Sport Exhaust and I didn't think the noise was unreasonable. You might consider taking a test drive of both cars with your wife before making a decision.
We did test drive the Spyder, and I completely agree that it was surprisingly quiet at freeway speed with the top down (and side windows up though).

As I posted elsewhere:

Just a quick history, as you know, I currently have a Lotus Exige S. It is a very good handling car. It is also pretty quick. I've read a bunch of different articles, both on the net and in print, including the Car and Driver issue naming the Spyder the best handling car in America for less than $100k (with the Lotus coming in second). So I have read numerous accolades regarding the Spyder, including posts from GT3 and 911 Turbo owners. Bottom line, how could this car measure up to everything that I have read and heard, not to mention the fact that it would be compared to my Lotus?

Well, it didn't take long at all to come to my initial reaction, which was basically this:

Hole. Eeee. Kuhrapp.

First, accelerating onto the freeway (kudos to the salesman, who had no problem with my pushing the car) I realized how much I miss nice strong TORQUE, which my Lotus obviously lacks. The power was more effortless than the Lotus, though it probably wasn't actually accelerating any faster. But it was very addicting.

But the best part, by far, was taking a nearly 360 degree offramp at high speed. This is an offramp that I am very familiar with, as I have had my Lotus on it numerous times. Well, hell if the Spyder didn't feel noticeably more planted firmly into the road than the Lotus! Stable. Secure. Confidence inspiring. Not a single squeal of the tires. Smooth as could be. I couldn't help but comment to the salesman after taking another twisty onramp, that I felt that if the Lotus was the second best handling car, the gap between one and two was pretty large!

I was seriously surprised at just how good this car handled. I just didn't expect this kind of improvement over the Lotus. What is truly amazing is that Porsche was able to get this kind of handling out of the car without giving it a super harsh ride, like my Lotus (which is the main reason that I'm looking for something else).

I had to call my wife down to drive it with me. She loved it too, but I did make her sick to her stomach when I took the same offramp at an even higher speed!

The car is more quiet than the Lotus. My wife laughed and said the Spyder was more quiet than the Lotus even with the Spyder's top down (I drove the car three times, once with the salesman, and twice with my wife with the roof on and with it off).

I have nothing negative to say about the Spyder. I could complain about the price, but in reality it is a bargain considering the performance and fun factor.

What an amazing car!

Unfortunately, as expected, they wouldn't give me anything close to what my Lotus is worth on a trade in, so I have to sell it first. By the time I do, I'm sure that this used Spyder will be long gone.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:42 AM
Rob T
Advanced

Do we know when the first allocations for Cayman R's will be available?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:26 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

If it's like the Spyder, they will be availble mid-late this month.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:54 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer told me on Nov 19 that they'd received their first allocation for Cayman R.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:14 PM
jeneric996
Instructor

Sounds great, Rob! I can't wait to see you in the Spyder. I still haven't seen your Lotus too!
Regards,
Eric
Old 12-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Rob T
Advanced

Originally Posted by jeneric996
Sounds great, Rob! I can't wait to see you in the Spyder. I still haven't seen your Lotus too!
Regards,
Eric

Well, it won't be the Spyder that I test drove, because Walter's already sold it! Took all of 4 days too.

A couple quick pic's of the Lotus (which will go on the market soon):

You've got to get a ride in it before it's sold!
Old 12-03-2010, 02:03 AM
jeneric996
Instructor

That is still a nice ride, Rob.

You've got to get a ride in it before it's sold!
Can't wait!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

A case for the Spyder vs the Cayman R:

No doubt a coupe will always have a stiffer chassis and be the preferred platform for a track car. BUT, what about the 100lbs or so of added weight at the very top? The whole point of these cars is weight and the R will never be able to beat the Spyder in that regard. This and looks continues to keep me focused on the Spyder.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:24 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

just based on the styling, i till prefer the Boxster Spyder, and i'm not a convertible person, at all.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Rob T
Advanced

Originally Posted by 20C4S
just based on the styling, i till prefer the Boxster Spyder, and i'm not a convertible person, at all.
Me too. And even though I was thinking of waiting until the Cayman R came out to make a final decision, the stars all aligned perfectly for me and I was able to get a deal on a slightly used Spyder (with 1500 miles on it) for a very fair price. I'm loving the car!

Quick Reply: A Case for the Cayman R vs the Spyder!