Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

My parked Spyder was hit tonight... : (

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 02:57 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts
Default My parked Spyder was hit tonight... : (

While I was at a company dinner my parked Spyder was hit. A Subaru Forester backed out and rear ended my rear bumper. I was walking out of the restaurant and I noticed someone around my car... At first I thought she was taking pictures. When I walked up she told me what happened and mentioned she left me a note and contact info on my window. I got her insurance info and took a few pictures. She apologized and we parted our ways. Luckily she only did damage to the rear bumper. My tail lamp and nothing else was damaged. The plastic collapsed on impact. It's approx a 10" dent. I have pictures on my iphone but i cant upload them as i left my computer at my office. I'll post them on here tomorrow. The bumper will need to be replaced and repainted. So my question is how much of a hit am I going to get for this if I decide to sell later? On top of repairs what should I ask for the negative impact for resale down the road? I'm not mad about the accident as it's something that can be fixed, I just want to be covered on all ends, repair and the after effects of it.
TIA.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Bummer on the damaged bumper. Lucky the person didn't take off, seems to be very common these days.

I would take high resolution pictures and keep them in your file with the rest of the maintenance records. If originality is important to the next buyer then it might be a deal breaker but the odds are that most people won't care that much about a new bumper caused by a minor parking lot bump. The pictures would be evidence that the damage was minor.

Focus on getting it repaired perfectly.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear about the damage to your car. That really sucks. Hopefully, it won't require a lot of work to repair.

At least the person who hit your car was a decent person and stuck around to give you her insurance info. I came out to my 944 twice and found someone had hit the car pretty hard, they did not stick around to leave me insurance or contact info, and of course there were no witnesses.

Hopefully, it will look like new again soon.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:39 AM
equ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think such a minor event is cause to pursue diminished value.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that.

No diminished value as long as they fix it right. (Replace bumper backing foam also).
Old 10-15-2010, 02:23 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Bummer on the damaged bumper. Lucky the person didn't take off, seems to be very common these days.

I would take high resolution pictures and keep them in your file with the rest of the maintenance records. If originality is important to the next buyer then it might be a deal breaker but the odds are that most people won't care that much about a new bumper caused by a minor parking lot bump. The pictures would be evidence that the damage was minor.

Focus on getting it repaired perfectly.
Agree 100% with the above -- good that there was no damage to the body (metal) -- my sense is that bumpers get resprayed quite frequently, especially with respect to lease returns where the car has been parked frequently in the city (where many parallel park by "feel"). Given that the car is fairly new (such that the paint hasn't faded), I would think it should be very easy for a top notch body shop to get a perfect paint match.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it, either. Bummer of course, but it's not body damage. And white is easy to match. Some would consider it a great opportunity to put on a Euro bumper sans bumperettes.

Besides, with no radio and no AC, you can't be too concerned about resale value...
Old 10-15-2010, 03:24 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A dent can be removed in a urethane bumper cover leaving very little or no signs of repair if it is dented in. Heat with a hair drier and after it is warmed just push out from the back side. This is a good option if nothing else was damaged. 15 - 20 minutes work is less than the hassle of insurance paperwork.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:24 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

I have since dropped it off at a certified Porsche Repair Shop... have a rental and now considering if I should get my wheels powder coated black while I have the rental and they have the car. Thoughts on the wheels? Any advice on powder coating vs. Painting?
Old 10-15-2010, 10:01 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I powder coated some turbo twist wheels on my first 996 (back in 99) and it looked really bad compared to the painting glossy finish. I would paint and not powder coat
JM
Old 10-16-2010, 12:46 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
I powder coated some turbo twist wheels on my first 996 (back in 99) and it looked really bad compared to the painting glossy finish. I would paint and not powder coat
JM
Can't you get powder coat in gloss black?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:59 AM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope everything works out in the repair. As for wheels, get them powder coated as that is a much more durable finish than painting. Painting looks great until the mount & dismount of tires chip them up. Find a shop that specializes in wheel powder coating, and also ask what temp they bake the coating on at. You don't want the higher temp to weaken the integrity of the wheel. Yes, you can get them done in glossy black.

Quick Reply: My parked Spyder was hit tonight... : (