Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Carrying a bicycle in/on Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:37 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Carrying a bicycle in/on Spyder

Has anyone looked into carrying a road bike on a Spyder?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
Has anyone looked into carrying a road bike on a Spyder?
My bicycle bought from a company located in Eugene OR folds up and fits into the front trunk of my 02 Boxster. The bicycle is a road bike though it came with narrow 20" wheels/tires. But it has center pull brakes, a 3 speed hub and an 8 speed chain derailler.

Also, has quick disconnect at both front and rear wheels. One needs no tools to loosen the bike's joints and fold it up. The front wheel does need to be removed from the front forks and the handle bar with its neck comes out of the steering head. Oh, and it has special crank pedals with a quick release that allow each pedal to be unlocke and folded.

I actually drove my car to Eugene -- on my way to CA -- and had the sales person demo a bike would fit. After he proved it would fit I ordered one custom tailored to me and have carried the bike many times in the car, in the front trunk, but also, folded up and placed on the passenger seat though the bike gets wrapped in a heavy blanket to protect the interior cabin surfaces.

Check out http://www.bikefriday.com

Now there are several other makers of folding bicycles but my research -- done nearly 8 years ago though -- determined for the money Bike Friday bikes the best. This may have changed.

I think I paid around $1300 for my bike. One can pay more -- way more -- and less, though not by much. And prices may have gone up in the meantime.

Sincerely,

Macsgter.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:38 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 139 Posts

I guy I used to know bought a Bike Friday almost 20 years ago. Swore by it.

Other than that, any license plate bracket mount bike rack would work. I would definitely not want anything trunk mounted to the aluminum rear lid.

Quick Reply: Carrying a bicycle in/on Spyder