Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Am I the only one getting Sport Seats in the Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Am I the only one getting Sport Seats in the Spyder?

I really tried to like and fit in the Racing/Bucket seats but my poor old, short body just couldn't get comfortable. Not enough lumbar and too crunched up for me. I can't wait to get my white Spyder- mid-July delivery expected. This will be a weekend, mountain fun car but I still went with the AC and radio to get my wife to come along for a few get-aways together. I feel kind of like a Poseur getting this little hot rod equipped all cushy when most are getting them they way they were intended- very light and minimalistic. I still think it will be more fun to drive than my 997 turbo or M3, just not on a daily basis. I'm one of the few who thinks it looks kind of cool with the top on, so what do I know. I hope everyone keeps posting pictures so I can enjoy them vicariously for another month or so.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:57 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
I really tried to like and fit in the Racing/Bucket seats but my poor old, short body just couldn't get comfortable. Not enough lumbar and too crunched up for me. I can't wait to get my white Spyder- mid-July delivery expected. This will be a weekend, mountain fun car but I still went with the AC and radio to get my wife to come along for a few get-aways together. I feel kind of like a Poseur getting this little hot rod equipped all cushy when most are getting them they way they were intended- very light and minimalistic. I still think it will be more fun to drive than my 997 turbo or M3, just not on a daily basis. I'm one of the few who thinks it looks kind of cool with the top on, so what do I know. I hope everyone keeps posting pictures so I can enjoy them vicariously for another month or so.
Enjoy your car and...don't worry about what other people think. This is the path toward good mental health.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:36 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 908 Posts

Actually it's the opposite... Most are ordering with options. Very few are doing the radio and A/C delete. Most dealers are ordering the Sport Seats due the Bucket limitations.

I on the other hand ordered went true to form:
-Carrara White
-Black Full Leather
-Short Shifter
-Sport Buckets w/ Crest
-Xenons
-Aluminum Foot Rest
-Painted Wheel Crest
-Radio and A/C Delete

My 2 cents... You get it the way that you prefer not others.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks VGM and Cayman. Too many times in the past I have chosen options to help sell the car later only to be disappointed in one way or another. Surprisingly (or trying to make me feel better), my local dealer says that the options I have chosen would probably make it easier to sell later. The AC and radio can easily be removed; cars that they have had with the racing buckets have been harder to sell than comparable cars with sports seats. But I bought this for me, not someone else but I am still surprised that so many prefer the buckets. I do think this is The Porsche Bargain- half the cost of my 997 t and better suited for my weekend jaunts and with heated seats in the winter.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:27 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 908 Posts

But I bought this for me, not someone else but I am still surprised that so many prefer the buckets.
If the Bucket seats fit your body they are simply the best seat Porsche offers. If they don't fit (as in your case) they don't make logical sense.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:29 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. If you track, Sport Bucket are a must as they have the pass through holes for the shoulder harness straps and provide superb lateral support. I don't track without a HANS and harnesses and I love the support.
2. If you don't track , or only once in a blue moon, enjoy the comfy seats. You can't safely use a harness set-up with the comfort seats.

Getting in and out of Sport Buckets does require contortion, so for your everyday street car you would need to be pretty hard core to spec them. My Spyder is a "second" car and I love my Sport Buckets but would tire of them for day to day use.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one getting Sport Seats in the Spyder?