Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder on track with new tires- AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:39 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spyder on track with new tires- AWESOME

Sourced and installed a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cups to replace the used-dog-food Pirelli PZeros that came on it. Readers may recall I destroyed the Pirelli fronts while on track at Spring mountain.

Short/sweet- the MPSC's were AWESOME and transformed the car. Ran it today at RenoFernley Raceway on a 4 mile road course, and it was GREAT.

Ran cold pressures (nitrogen) of 2 psi under stock. Hot was approx 35lbs f/r.

The front needs camber and I have ordered the Tarret GT3 lower control arms to fix this.

Also need the P50 Motorsport brake pads (PCCB specific) for aggressive tracking. Don't know if steels are the same but I have WAY more brake than tire. Wish I could fit bigger tires, but am afraid as I don't know what works with this new Spyder suspension.

As it is I can brake WAY late and deep, and outbrake most of what was on track.

But, box stock with just decent tires (the Cups) and not the dog squeeze (the Pirelli PZero's) that came on the car, it was fantastic on track.

Putting the Trofeo track tires on would result in a track monster.

Had I remembered to plug in the ECU bridge to trigger my SmartyCam I would have delicious video to share. As it is I have bupkis to show. Sorry.

If you want a very fun track toy at a great price, a Spyder certainly fills the bill. And is perfectly comfy cruising around town with your significant other.

What a great car.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:03 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

+1 re the Spyder being a fun track toy at a great price! Had my Spyder out on the track recently, and I am still stunned with what it could do. And that was with the stock Pirellis. The fun factor has been dialed up to 11 with the Spyder, dare I say even more so than with the RS.

Attachment 447077

Last edited by zellamsee; 02-16-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:38 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by zellamsee
+1 re the Spyder being a fun track toy at a great price! Had my Spyder out on the track recently, and I am still stunned with what it could do. And that was with the stock Pirellis. The fun factor has been dialed up to 11 with the Spyder, dare I say even more so than with the RS.

Attachment 447077
I certainly had just as much fun with Mr. Spyder on track as I do with my RS. The Spyder is definitely more balanced and eager to turn. And it feels lighter on its feet. The RS is a velvet sledgehammer, the Spyder is a well balanced scalpel.

For the average person the Spyder offers a very compelling value. Very happy with mine thats for sure.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:13 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I certainly had just as much fun with Mr. Spyder on track as I do with my RS. The Spyder is definitely more balanced and eager to turn. And it feels lighter on its feet. The RS is a velvet sledgehammer, the Spyder is a well balanced scalpel.

For the average person the Spyder offers a very compelling value. Very happy with mine thats for sure.
I just did a 450 miles road trip with mine... it's now officially broken in
Oil change tomorrow, oil analysis next week and then... off to the track!
JM
Old 05-30-2010, 11:22 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
I just did a 450 miles road trip with mine... it's now officially broken in
Oil change tomorrow, oil analysis next week and then... off to the track!
JM
Off to the track indeed! Track report from you ASAP please!

I am running Laguna Seca for two days (May 31/June1st) in Mr. Spyder and very excited! Should have some tasty Smartycam in car data/video to share.

Driving here (320 miles) with the PDK I averaged 31 mpg on highway! Holy crap!
Old 05-30-2010, 11:42 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
Off to the track indeed! Track report from you ASAP please!

I am running Laguna Seca for two days (May 31/June1st) in Mr. Spyder and very excited! Should have some tasty Smartycam in car data/video to share.

Driving here (320 miles) with the PDK I averaged 31 mpg on highway! Holy crap!
Will do. I also have to post my V1 hardwire install (Porsche really did save a lot of weight on non-necessary items), the BK sub bar installs and pics of the overall looks of the harnesses... I average something like you on the hway constantly changing the RPM... until I needed to see what red line of fifth could do... and found out !!!!
BTW, my tires are the Good Year and they are REALLY good.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:11 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Awesome cars, I can't wait to drive one.. I most certainly know it will live up to the "hype" and the input from you guy's in regards to it's balance and fun factor I sha'll report back!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:29 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car looks great in silver. I saw a black one at Holberts over the weekend, which looked good as well. I might help instruct at RTR's NJMSP event, so I may get a chance to see Jean Marc's new ride in action.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Nice shot. Silver is definitely the best color. (I am biased, of course.)

Going to try to get to the track with it this month, but in the mean time it has been an absolute blast in the canyons.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:12 AM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by renvagn
The car looks great in silver. I saw a black one at Holberts over the weekend, which looked good as well. I might help instruct at RTR's NJMSP event, so I may get a chance to see Jean Marc's new ride in action.
Unfortunately i won't be there... Though I haven't completely given up just yet!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, silver rocks!

Attachment 448096

Last edited by zellamsee; 02-16-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:15 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, silver rocks!

Attachment 448096
Great photo and I agree on the color - I think I'll try to get one in silver.

Quick Reply: Spyder on track with new tires- AWESOME