Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Question on Spyder side stripes

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 12:27 PM
xpensivewino
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Question on Spyder side stripes

Hello,
My incoming Spyder does not have side stripes, which I like very much. I generally only like to utilize factory stuff, but noticed that the Porsche side stripes come in two varieties. Regular around $250, and Spyder specific at $750! I see no visible difference in the two types, but the verbiage states “smaller, or shorter” or something to that effect for the Spyder. So my question is are the “Porsche” side stripes on the Spyder a smaller or different font size? I know the Spyder stripe is longer and full length compared to the Cayman R version. Can someone measure the height of one of their letters, as well as the total overall height of the triple stripe its self? Thanks for any advice or measurements you can give. Thanks
Old 03-21-2024, 12:35 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 575 Posts
Default Spyder Retro Stripe Option...

Originally Posted by xpensivewino
Hello,
My incoming Spyder does not have side stripes, which I like very much. I generally only like to utilize factory stuff, but noticed that the Porsche side stripes come in two varieties. Regular around $250, and Spyder specific at $750! I see no visible difference in the two types, but the verbiage states “smaller, or shorter” or something to that effect for the Spyder. So my question is are the “Porsche” side stripes on the Spyder a smaller or different font size? I know the Spyder stripe is longer and full length compared to the Cayman R version. Can someone measure the height of one of their letters, as well as the total overall height of the triple stripe its self? Thanks for any advice or measurements you can give. Thanks
Hey there - mine arrived missing the front section on both sides. I suspect the detailer removed them before applying the PPF.

On the suggestion of Spyder owner Kevin Y I had custom "Singer-style" stripes created by Andy Wong here in Vancouver. Using the grey colour found in the Turbo II wheels and a rich red and IMO, I think they look GREAT and suit the retro vibes of the car.

I can measure them if you like.

Last edited by Zeus993; 03-21-2024 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:44 PM
xpensivewino
Racer

I’m also curious on the termination point of the stripes at both front and rear wheel wells. I’ve seen photos of factory striped cars with them going all the way to the wheel arch edge, and some seem to terminate at the flat radius of the wheel arch. Any concrete rule on this?
Old 03-21-2024, 01:16 PM
xpensivewino
Racer

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Hey there - mine arrived missing the front section on both sides. I suspect the detailer removed them before applying the PPF.

On the suggestion of Spyder owner Kevin Y I had custom "Singer-style" stripes created by Andy Wong here in Vancouver. Using the grey colour found in the Turbo II wheels and a rich red and IMO, I think they look GREAT and suit the retro vibes of the car.

I can measure them if you like.
Thanks so much for the reply. If you know them to be the same as the original versions, I’m fine with a measurement. They look to be correct to me. I’m looking for just plain black ones so if your guy was reasonable and they are a match to the originals size wise, I may have him do a set for me. Thanks
Old 03-21-2024, 02:25 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by xpensivewino
Thanks so much for the reply. If you know them to be the same as the original versions, I’m fine with a measurement. They look to be correct to me. I’m looking for just plain black ones so if your guy was reasonable and they are a match to the originals size wise, I may have him do a set for me. Thanks
Have you looked at the 987 PET for the appropriate part number for the factory stripes? I don’t have it in front of me but that would be the first place that I would start.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:59 PM
xpensivewino
Racer

[QUOTE=islaTurbine;19345096]Have you looked at the 987 PET for the appropriate part number for the factory stripes? I don’t have it in front of me but that would be the first place that I would start.[/

yes, factory part number refers to a $750 stripe kit that appears to be the same physically as the non Spyder version. Hence the reason for the thread, I’m trying to determine what the $500 difference is besides part numbers and the phrase “Spyder version
Old 03-22-2024, 12:48 AM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 96 Posts

Here’s a picture of the side stripes from the factory:

The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 10:41 AM
xpensivewino
Racer

Originally Posted by Spyder_2011
Here’s a picture of the side stripes from the factory:

It’s so frustrating to try and get accurate information. I’m probably overthinking it, but I’m attaching this guide I found. On your car which clearly looks factory applied, the stripes do go all the way to the ends of the wheel arches. Some do and some don’t. Maybe it was up to the individual installing them. The guide speaks directly to the reasoning of terminating short as to not wanting rock chips to start to degrade the stripe. Oh well, I’ll just get the correct measurements of the size of the stripes, order a set and apply per the guide.

Old 03-22-2024, 01:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 580 Likes on 345 Posts

I have two Spyders. I will take some pics and measurements as I’d like to know the outcome here.
Old 03-22-2024, 01:57 PM
xpensivewino
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM
I have two Spyders. I will take some pics and measurements as I’d like to know the outcome here.

John,
That would be great. Can you please measure the total thickness or height of the strip its self, also total height of one of the letters, and how much door there is below the bottom of the stripe? Thanks so much
Old 03-23-2024, 05:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The stripe is 78mm high and the PORSCHE letters are 43mm high and 82mm wide. I will get photos in natural light and the car parked outside so there is no parallax errors measuring

Last edited by John McM; 03-23-2024 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:18 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The lettering looks like a Porsche font we used in Windscreen banners. Overall it looks like an easy stripe to replicate. A local 911 owner put a similar stripe on his car. I will check the measurements on that.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:29 AM
xpensivewino
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM
The stripe is 78mm high and the PORSCHE letters are 43mm high and 82mm wide. I will get photos in natural light and the car parked outside so there is no parallax errors measuring
John, thanks so much for the measurements. This is very helpful. I’m sure most all the full length car stripes available are very close to this measurement. I’m not sure why the Spyder kit is $750 versus the non Spyder version, but now I can match a much more affordable option. Cheers Steve
Old 03-23-2024, 05:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The stripe is 78mm wide. The lower end is 5mm from the bottom of the door. The stripes are 8.5mm wide as is the lettering. The gap above and below the lettering is 10mm. The letters are 43mm high and 82mm wide. Please note that the above does not add up. We need to take account of measuring errors.

Last edited by John McM; 03-23-2024 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The stripe placements are slightly different on the two cars. The consistent theme appears to be that the stripes stop before the end of the panel

70mm

88mm

Last edited by John McM; 03-23-2024 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Question on Spyder side stripes