Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Potential PDK Spyder owner doubts

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 12:58 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
The 981 has the worst steering of all modern Boxster/Cayman models. Porsche greatly improved it for the 982, although I still prefer any of the hydraulic systems over either of the electric systems.

The bigger issue for me was the longer wheelbase. 60mm doesn't sound like much but it changes the car's feel dramatically. Yes, it provides smoothness over rougher roads and enhances mid-corner stability, but there are some downsides. The 981 is not heavier than the 987, but it feels that way. It feels less agile, less responsive. For those that have had both, they describe the 981 as feeling more grown up, and the 987 feeling more fun. I believe this comes down to the wheelbase more than any other single item.
My experience exactly. Had a 981 Cayman GTS w/PDK, then went back to the Gen1 Spyder (twice, both w/PDK).
Old 03-28-2024, 01:31 PM
97NASD90
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@russet I'm considering this spyder for my wife. I was curious if you could share your impressions on the condition of this particular car? The ad copy mentions extensive records/maintenance - was any of this available for review? Perhaps your PDK impressions also indicate a need for a pdk service and/or other maintenance. I'm located up in Montana so flying to SF is a bit of a commitment. Really appreciate any insight you could share.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:41 AM
russet
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97NASD90
@russet I'm considering this spyder for my wife. I was curious if you could share your impressions on the condition of this particular car? The ad copy mentions extensive records/maintenance - was any of this available for review? Perhaps your PDK impressions also indicate a need for a pdk service and/or other maintenance. I'm located up in Montana so flying to SF is a bit of a commitment. Really appreciate any insight you could share.
On paper I think this particular Spyder was surprisingly compelling. It's a one owner car who at some point applied PPF to much of the car presumably early in the life cycle. The PPF has aged to a point where I think replacement is in order (Minor peeling in places but no cracking that I saw), but the paint looks great. In terms of the way the car drove I wish I had the data points to know whether any behavior was specific to this example or Spyder's in general. My sense was it MAY benefit from some basic mechanical tune-up. If in doubt I would recommend arranging a PPI at one of the many Porsche shops throughout the bay, I was going to do one prior to purchase to confirm for myself that nothing was wrong. I've had good experiences with Porsche Burlingame and Carrera Motors in San Mateo. Personally if I had the garage space and lived somewhere with less traffic and more open space I'd buy this car in a heartbeat. Also I asked and they do not have the previous owner's service records unfortunately. The dealership mentioned replacing all the fluids and I believe did some other service work as well, I would make sure to ask. My line of thinking was worst case scenario with this example there may be some early upfront costs to get it cosmetically and mechanically how you want it (PPF replacement, PSE retrofit) but then it will probably be one of the cleaner Spyder's out there.
The following users liked this post:
cpuc (03-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Potential PDK Spyder owner doubts