Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Tire replacement for Spyder. What's current the best option?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 05:38 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 309 Posts

Most will say generic PS4S... I had those and was not happy at all due to the soft sidewalls. This makes sense because Michelin stated their goal for the PS4S was to match the performance and lap times of its predecessors the PS2/PS3/PSS, but with greater levels of comfort, slightly longer tread life, and lower levels of noise. With the proliferation of the Michelin Cup line of street tires, the PS4S was to move more daily driver friendly than its Michelin predecessors. For this reason, I actually prefer the near 20-year-old Michelin PS2 N-spec. It has beefy sidewalls thus MUCH better feedback and turn-in for spirited street driving. Basically you are trading slightly more NVH for a tire that fits well with the superb steering these cars are known for.

Yes, the PS2 is older tech, and that being the case it relies more on stiffness for performance rather than the latest silicon enhanced rubber compound. But at the time the PS2 debuted, it was the top-level Michelin tire, used on supercars like the McLaren SLR and the Porsche GT2/GT3. This is pre Michelin Cup tire days. Unless your car serves as a daily, I would absolutely go N-spec PS2 over generic PS4S. You will gain some NVH and lose some tread longevity, but you'll receive superior turn-in and greater road feedback in return.

Last edited by Zach L; 07-26-2023 at 05:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
The Duke (07-27-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 05:43 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

It was you Zach L! 😆 You were the one commenting about the sidewalls. I knew I’d read it somewhere before.

Honestly in an open top Porsche I’m sure the change in NVH between tires would be marginal. Interesting twist here and makes deciding a little harder.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:57 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 309 Posts

Haha I think I'm very much in the minority with the PS2 > PS4S position. **Note this is for the generic PS4S, not the N-spec PS4S which I believe the most discernible difference is the N-spec's stiffer sidewalls. Many times I talk with fans of the PS4S and find their experience has been with N-spec PS4S on a GT4 or some other newer Porsche. Unfortunately, AFAIK, Michelin doesn't have an N-spec PS4S in 987 sizes. If they do, I for sure would give it a shot and suspect it would be as good or possibly better than the N-spec PS2.
Old 07-26-2023, 06:15 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Yep no N spec PS4S in our stock sizes
Old 07-26-2023, 06:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Last night, I drove my 987.2 Spyder home on brand new PS4S. It had been in the shop for a week so I noticed the ride more than usual. It’s firm.

I also bought PS2 N3 for my 964 C4, hoping it has stiff sidewalls to give sharper handling. I will report back, albeit it won’t help if there are none in Spyder sizes.

Old 07-26-2023, 06:51 PM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 120 Posts

I have both the Conti’s and PS2’s on my 964, I think the Conti’s may be a little stiffer but I need to get more miles on them before confirming.

As far as PS2 vs PS4 I have read in many instances the same as what Zach is reporting and for me the feedback is a huge part of what makes the Spyder so good so I’m not keen on switching to something more compliant. What’s ironic is that the original Bridgestones that came on the Spyder were even stiffer than the PS2 but the tire turned rock hard within 2 years and made for “interesting” cornering characteristics. The other drawback to the Bridgestone is the weight, they are very heavy compared to the Michelins.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:12 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
It was you Zach L! 😆 You were the one commenting about the sidewalls. I knew I’d read it somewhere before.

Honestly in an open top Porsche I’m sure the change in NVH between tires would be marginal. Interesting twist here and makes deciding a little harder.
Exactly. You guys aren’t making this an easy decision. And just to compound the issue, when switching to a new tire, any tire, it’s usually compared to the worn or timed dated tires that are coming off the car, so not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison.

What we need is for someone to buy sets of both PS4S and PS2 Nspec and do a back to back comparo of new versus new tires. Not new versus old.

I nominate AWay to take one for the team😉

DaveGee
Old 07-26-2023, 08:04 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

All in the name of science! Also, I'm not doing that! haha

I'm VERY sure either would be a massive improvement over my 5yr old set.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:38 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Just updating this. Decided on the Porsche PS2 N2 spec tires based on comments here and the Porsche stamp of approval. They’re being installed right now so will update a bit later with how they feel.
The following 2 users liked this post by AWay:
islaTurbine (08-11-2023), Zeus993 (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 11:20 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

I've never thought of PS2's always thinking the latest and greatest PS4's were the best.

I'm going to check into these.

Old 08-11-2023, 03:24 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 81 Posts

I went from RE-71Rs on the car when I bought her CPO'd, to PS4s and the difference is night and day. It feels so much more tolerable on the street. Very compliant and still handles well. It was bone crushing before to the point the wife would seldom ride in it. My .02.
Old 08-11-2023, 03:44 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Yea wow, new tires are always a treat! I’ve only gone for a short casual drive but the difference in ride quality was immediately apparent. While these aren’t the PS4S I would echo what @alemaniac said, compliant for sure. There’s also great rim protection on the PS2 tires compared to the ones that came off the car. Michelin just makes fantastic tires. The car had some Firestone tires on it from years ago when I purchased. Still looked new but dated 2018 and also not a brand appropriate for this car.

Expensive day though as the Volvo needed tires as well and I changed out the 4 TPMS sensors on the Spyder at the same time. The install guy was incredibly careful and even let me take off and then reinstall the wheels myself. While he was changing the tires I took the time to clean the barrels perfectly of the old weight residue with goo gone. I’m always so nervous when having tires installed but there was absolutely zero a mark on the wheels to show for it. Top job and super happy.

The following 3 users liked this post by AWay:
alemaniac (08-11-2023), Spyder_2011 (08-11-2023), Zeus993 (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 04:37 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
I’m always so nervous when having tires installed but there was absolutely zero a mark on the wheels to show for it. Top job and super happy.
Looking GOOD!. I echo your sentiments about having tire work done. I never thought about asking to remove and install myself in person at the garage, but I did consider getting a Quick Jack and bringing the tires in, ala carte, while my baby was suspended in the air. LOL. In the end, I just had them done at my local Porsche dealer. And I paid accordingly, Lol. There was not a single harm done to the wheels though. Happy customer and loving the new rubber.
The following users liked this post:
AWay (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 06:11 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 269 Posts

Thanks for the report AWay. I decided to go with PS4S and have install scheduled about two weeks from now. Regarding TPMS, >>I changed out the 4 TPMS sensors on the Spyder<< I wanted buy a set of HUF for $135, but my Indy doesn’t want to touch them. “Porsche TPMS” are ~$550. What did you end up doing?

DaveGee
Old 08-11-2023, 06:32 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Thanks for the report AWay. I decided to go with PS4S and have install scheduled about two weeks from now. Regarding TPMS, >>I changed out the 4 TPMS sensors on the Spyder<< I wanted buy a set of HUF for $135, but my Indy doesn’t want to touch them. “Porsche TPMS” are ~$550. What did you end up doing?

DaveGee
All good Dave, I'm sure you'll be just as happy. I went with Huf from TPMS.com for $139 as you said for a set of 4 and all is perfect. I think most shops don't understand that these Huf sensors from TPMS.com come in our correct frequency and preprogrammed. They don't have to do anything but physically install them whereas I think most TPMS need programming from the installer. Then all we have to do is tab through our MFD settings and activate the learning. Takes about 5 mins of driving and then you're all set.

Quick Reply: Tire replacement for Spyder. What's current the best option?