Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987.2 Spyder Sunshade/Weather Protector Usage

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 01:30 PM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 987.2 Spyder Sunshade/Weather Protector Usage

Greetings,

Now in the third week of owning my Spyder and really enjoying the car. I was curious how some of you are using the Sunshade and Weather Protector- separately (in the case of the former) and together:

1- What is the max speed with both Sunshade and Weather Protector (I know what the manual says) that you have gone? Any issues?
2- What is the max speed with just the Sunshade? The manual doesn't distinguish top speed with or w/o the Weather Protector? Should there be a difference due to drag changes?
3- When just the Sunshade installed, do you pull out the windscreens within each headrest or the center window between the headrests?
4- I've noted that with the Sunshade and Weather Protector installed, the Passenger window seals perfectly (in and out) but the Driver's side does not the further towards the back of the window (towards the rear). Can this be adjusted?

Thanks,

G.

Last edited by geoorlando; 08-05-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:03 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

1) I have a speedwarning set at 205 for this purpose
2) I do not notice any difference between the two
3) I usually have the window out unless it is to cold or wet. Taking the screens out doesn’t make a big difference. I prefer the look with the screens.
4) are you sure the top is fitted correctly? Both the end caps in place op the top brace?
the window can be adjusted but I would do it with the backpiece installed as the window rubs the rubbers at the back.

enjoy your spyder!
The following users liked this post:
geoorlando (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 04:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

At the track, I have had the top visibly lift at speed. The seals on the windows open due to the lifting and there is a marked change of pressure.

With the rear screen off, on the road, at higher speeds, the top seems to vibrate more at the back than with the screen on.

Note it’s the total wind speed that matters. Travelling at lower road speeds in high head winds or side winds brings on the effect. It’s not dangerous, just noticeable.

Last edited by John McM; 08-05-2021 at 04:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
geoorlando (08-05-2021)

Quick Reply: 987.2 Spyder Sunshade/Weather Protector Usage