Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Rattle from inside both doors

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 03:22 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 277 Posts
Default Rattle from inside both doors

Hi all,

On my recently new to me Spyder there is a tinny rattle within each of the doors that is basically constant unless the road is like glass. I have seen a post about how it might be from the seatbelt tower (or whatever it is called) but it's not that. It sounds like it could be the latch where the door closes, but I was wondering if this is common issue/rattle? Search didn't turn up much other than the previously noted comment.

Many thanks,

-Adam
Old 07-14-2021, 06:46 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
Hi all,

On my recently new to me Spyder there is a tinny rattle within each of the doors that is basically constant unless the road is like glass. I have seen a post about how it might be from the seatbelt tower (or whatever it is called) but it's not that. It sounds like it could be the latch where the door closes, but I was wondering if this is common issue/rattle? Search didn't turn up much other than the previously noted comment.

Many thanks,

-Adam
Here’s a shot in the dark. Last week I was starting to get a similar tinny rattle from somewhere around the rear of the passenger door, only when driving on rough surfaces when the rear top section was dismounted. Turned out to originate from the lower/outermost mounting stud to which that rear top section attaches. By lightly plinking on the trim section that carries that stud with my fingers, I was able to reproduce the tinny rattle. The center “nipple” of that stud is loosely held in the stud, and no amount of tightening of the stud keeps it from vibrating. Strangely enough, the same nipple on the driver’s side can be induced to similarly rattle by finger plinking on that side’s trim piece, BUT while driving, there is no tinny rattle from that side of the car. Dr. Watson concludes that the trim piece holding the stud on the RHS is a hair more loosely secured than the same trim piece on the LHS, just enough to cause the RHS nipple to audibly vibrate on rougher pavement. I may try a small piece of duct tape fix when it is no longer 95+ deg-f in the garage. Otherwise for me this is just part of the topless character.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:25 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Thanks for this. I’ll check that when my garage temps cool down too

Last edited by Bents; 07-14-2021 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:05 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be it. It certainly sounds like it's coming from inside the doors. Once it cools down I'll remove the cards and see what's going on.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:24 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be it. It certainly sounds like it's coming from inside the doors. Once it cools down I'll remove the cards and see what's going on.
Sorry that it wasn't your cause. I found my tinkling rattle easy to "fix" with a duct tape "brassier" for the noisy nipple (no, I am not in the pronfilm trade). A small square of silver duct tape applied to the noise maker keeps it from rattling within the stud. The fix is invisible unless the boot lid is up. Of course I will have to remove the bras whenever I need to use those particular studs to mount the rear top panel on the car, and the duct tape may not have much of a lifetime. But it is trivially quick to reapply the duct tape pieces as needed. For the time being, the tinkling rattle on rough roads is gone.

Last edited by SCMike; 07-15-2021 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Rattle from inside both doors