Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

2011 Spyder up on BaT

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 06:44 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
You rang?

Thrilled to have bought this car and can’t wait to pick it up. Looking forward to joining the community.
Congrats to you! I was definitely keeping a close eye on this one but I'm still holding out for a red, blue or PTS one, though.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:32 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
Congrats & nice move for the last bid!Curious if that's your one&done bid or still willing to fight should someone shows up.
Ha, thanks! More serendipitous than anything. My initial strategy was to bid once for what I’d be happy to pay for the car and then walk away, but that’s easier said than done, and when I’ve told myself that in the past (e.g. the gulf blue e63 wagon that sold on cars and bids recently which I ultimately lost) I’ve never been able to resist bidding further.

However, it turned out that I wasn’t even at my computer when the auction ended because I had been called away, so when I came back to it I just assumed I’d lost!

Looks like I should be able to get the car this week

Last edited by Bents; 06-19-2021 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:27 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

@Bents congratulations and welcome aboard…I am interested to learn who painted the red pieces in the seats, while they were available as an option I thought the seller noted they were painted after the fact as were the mirror housings ….
Old 06-19-2021, 08:38 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
@Bents congratulations and welcome aboard…I am interested to learn who painted the red pieces in the seats, while they were available as an option I thought the seller noted they were painted after the fact as were the mirror housings ….
I’ll ask!
Old 06-20-2021, 08:40 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Congratulations. It's a special car you now own and at an attractive price. I'd be checking your 10 day weather forecast for some good driving days!
Old 06-06-2022, 10:21 PM
dieseld
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Bents @jakermc Hi guys! New guy here, do mostly lurking and posting on other forums, but finally made an account bc the spyder you both owned is on sale nearby and I'm very interested to hear your pros / cons about this particular car. I currently own a 6sp 981 bgts and I love it. Part of me feels it might be step down (creature comforts, radio), a lateral move (engine) but not sure about driving dynamics. I'm not a track guy, more of a weekend twisties cruiser, so I'd figure the lighter chassis and hydraulic handing would make it feel more lively.

Others, please feel free to chime in, especially if you owned both 987 and 981. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2022, 10:41 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dieseld
@Bents @jakermc Hi guys! New guy here, do mostly lurking and posting on other forums, but finally made an account bc the spyder you both owned is on sale nearby and I'm very interested to hear your pros / cons about this particular car. I currently own a 6sp 981 bgts and I love it. Part of me feels it might be step down (creature comforts, radio), a lateral move (engine) but not sure about driving dynamics. I'm not a track guy, more of a weekend twisties cruiser, so I'd figure the lighter chassis and hydraulic handing would make it feel more lively.

Others, please feel free to chime in, especially if you owned both 987 and 981. Thanks!
PM me your number and I’ll give you a call tomorrow. Happy to discuss the car.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:52 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by dieseld

You are exactly correct with your assumption of "more lively". While the hydraulic steering is nice, to me the biggest driving change between the two results from the 981 having a 2.5" longer wheelbase. That may not sound like much, but it changes the car's character significantly. In general, the 981 will feel more planted and stable mid-corner through a turn. Longer wheelbase will absorb more road undulations giving a smoother ride. The 987 on the other hand will feel more responsive and more agile. They are close in weight, but the 981 feels like it gained more weight than it really did. If pure driving enjoyment is what you're after, the 987 is the better choice.

Quick Reply: 2011 Spyder up on BaT