Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987.2 Spyder - New Porsche Parts Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 07:35 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 987.2 Spyder - New Porsche Parts Convertible Top

OK, OK...I admit that I have a mental affliction that causes me to buy unneeded parts for my “special cars”, especially when I convince myself those parts are on the cusp of becoming NLA. So that’s why I recently special-ordered both major sections of the Spyder top from a Porsche dealer. When I saw the manufacturing dates on the sections (shown in my photos), I decided that I was not paranoid after all. Just in case someone else is thinking of doing this, I thought I would show what you get out of the box from Porsche Parts.

The box as received:

The rear window panel, the complete full section with the plastic window in a protective “sandwich”, a direct full replacement of the original section:

The top fabric panel, consisting only of the large full fabric section requiring the transfer of the original mounting hardware:

I ordered these parts from SuncoastParts.com and got fantastic personalized service from Nick Terrenzi. The top section was only in stock in Germany, and the back window panel was on back order by Porsche, with only one available in stock in Germany. With all the complications of securing the items over there and then dealing with the COVID disruptions of trans-Atlantic shipping, the time estimate for delivery was over a month. The parts finally showed up at Suncoast when I was spending weeks on the Opposite Coast dealing with family matters. Nick very graciously consented to hold the shipment for me until I finally got back home and could take delivery.

Oh yes, the cost of the parts was $2295 for the top section and $1395 for the back panel, plus $62.11 for shipping. Mental affliction dealt with.
The following 6 users liked this post by SCMike:
alemaniac (05-23-2021), Boiler Inspector (05-26-2021), Marine Blue (05-24-2021), MattUF (05-25-2021), Miggytosh (07-23-2021), Turbo Jonny (05-25-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-23-2021, 08:39 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 81 Posts

Awesome, I was thinking about doing the same. My detailing and PPF work was prioritized first, though. Thanks for the informative post!
Old 05-24-2021, 09:25 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Mike, that’s a smart move IMHO. It’s good to know that the rear section is actually supplied complete and not just a cloth piece like the top. Does the top include any instructions on how to install or is it fairly obvious? I’m just curious if the top will need to be handed to a professional to be replaced.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:07 AM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Mike, that’s a smart move IMHO. It’s good to know that the rear section is actually supplied complete and not just a cloth piece like the top. Does the top include any instructions on how to install or is it fairly obvious? I’m just curious if the top will need to be handed to a professional to be replaced.
Afshin,
I'm afraid that it is just parts-in-a-box, no instructions at all. The rear window section looks to be just a simple replacement exercise. Fortunately, that will probably be the section that will undoubtedly need replacement first, because the plastic window is the least durable part of the original top. However, installation of the top fabric section looks like an exercise best left to a professional. It will need to be attached to the existing front header, perhaps some sewing to recycle the rear deck attachment points for the flying buttresses, and there are two loose pieces (small black pieces provided separately from the top section) whose function was not immediately obvious, plus other steps that I probably can not recognize. Any good convertible top professional should be able to tackle the job, especially if the old original top is right there as a pattern. Another cautionary point: I NEVER store the pieces in the handy dandy plastic storage tray Porsche provides in the Spyder's trunk. I feel the trunk packing process results long-term in too much wear-and-tear on the pieces (especially that plastic rear window, which on mine already has a permanent kink in the plastic from a previous owner).
Old 05-24-2021, 11:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Mike, thank you for the feedback. I was hoping both pieces would be plug and play, at least one of them is.

Thus far both of my top pieces are in great shape but I’ve been extra careful when handling the top to avoid damage. I agree the storage spot for the rear section is a bit tight and I try to limit its use. Lately I just lay it out in the trunk and it seems to stay put.

On the plus side, the entire car doesn’t need to go to the shop to have the top replacement performed.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:57 PM
MezgerFan
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
...I agree the storage spot for the rear section is a bit tight and I try to limit its use. Lately I just lay it out in the trunk and it seems to stay put.
That is what I do as well, to avoid bending/kinking etc.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:50 PM
motoken
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 21 Posts

Mike,
Thanks for the informative post. My top is starting show some wear, and I've been thinking of getting the parts to have on hand as well. The most significant wear items are the velcro on the buttress parts used for stowing the top. The "stickiness" has worn out. Also, the flap wear you store the cable upon removal has some worn stitching. I hardly ever use the rear panel, but the window has some scuffing on it and I think I have the same "permanent kink" in the plastic gasket as well.
Do you think the boxes the items came in are adequate for long term storage?
Ken
Old 05-26-2021, 08:24 AM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by motoken
Do you think the boxes the items came in are adequate for long term storage?
Ken
The two sections came in individual wrappings in the one large box shown in my photo. I am in fact using the box to store the items safely. SWMBO taunts me that I keep buying schtuff that only future owners of my cars will use. I noted the 2016 production date on the rear section and the 2018 date on top section, which I guess is the last time Porsche had Magna Germany produce these parts. That makes me wonder about future availability of these parts....
Mike
The following users liked this post:
motoken (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 07:43 PM
Boiler Inspector
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
The two sections came in individual wrappings in the one large box shown in my photo. I am in fact using the box to store the items safely. SWMBO taunts me that I keep buying schtuff that only future owners of my cars will use. I noted the 2016 production date on the rear section and the 2018 date on top section, which I guess is the last time Porsche had Magna Germany produce these parts. That makes me wonder about future availability of these parts....
Mike
Beautimous ABM by the way, but I may be biased.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:52 AM
bertsboat
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

You going to sleep with that top?
Old 08-23-2022, 09:18 AM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bertsboat
You going to sleep with that top?
At the price, I probably should in order to get my money’s worth. But nah, all the pieces are stored in their original wrappings and box, in a corner of the spare bedroom.
Old 08-26-2022, 04:49 PM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

Still wondering how difficult it would be to replace the plastic window with a Plexi or Glass piece.

Quick Reply: 987.2 Spyder - New Porsche Parts Convertible Top