Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987 Spyder Alignment Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 10:33 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 81 Posts
Default 987 Spyder Alignment Numbers

Taking my car in for a little work and I am getting the PSS9s adjusted to raise the car up maybe half an inch and thus it will need an alignment. She just sits too low for me to use without wincing when I approach any mild incline or speed bump. Tired of scraping the splitters. Car was previously corner balanced, but I'm looking at doing maybe one to two track events tops per year, maybe none this year. I just want it dialed in for spirited driving without shredding tires. It does feel dialed right now. Car also has GT3 LCA's so I should be able to get "good" numbers.

So, what alignment numbers should I be aiming for? I want something more aggressive than the stock Spyder numbers, but nothing too crazy hardcore. TIA

Old 07-08-2020, 11:13 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Here are my alignment numbers. Told the shop this was my weekend car that I'd be using for spirited driving/track days, wouldn't be used for commuting so I wasn't worried about premature wear.8.0.1
The following users liked this post:
alemaniac (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 11:20 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Thanks so much, Matt! That is how I use my car, as well. Weekend drives. Does it feel dialed in for your needs?
Old 07-09-2020, 07:46 PM
MattUF
Racer

It hasn't ever left me wanting more
The following users liked this post:
alemaniac (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 09:12 AM
alemaniac
Racer

Originally Posted by MattUF
It hasn't ever left me wanting more
What is your suspension setup, component wise?
Old 07-10-2020, 12:17 PM
MattUF
Racer

I have KW v3 coilovers, stock LCAs
Old 07-10-2020, 03:12 PM
alemaniac
Racer

I have KW v3 coilovers, stock LCAs
Gotcha. Would you mind getting me your measurements from the wheel arch to the middle of the wheel center cap, front and back? Assuming you’re on 19” wheels. I’m trying to determine how mine should sit. I may be just oversensitive on the low height since I’ve not owned a car on coilovers before.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:55 PM
MattUF
Racer

Just took some ballpark measurements from the center cap to the edge of the fender. I'm running the stock 19" wheels with stock tire sizes.

F: 13.5"
R: 14"
Old 07-10-2020, 10:18 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Just took some ballpark measurements from the center cap to the edge of the fender. I'm running the stock 19" wheels with stock tire sizes.

F: 13.5"
R: 14"

Thanks, I'm also on the stock Spyder wheels and I'm just a little less than those measurements. Although, I need to measure again when it's light out. I'm assuming you have no issues on the clearance where you live at those settings?
Old 07-10-2020, 11:14 PM
MattUF
Racer

Originally Posted by alemaniac
Thanks, I'm also on the stock Spyder wheels and I'm just a little less than those measurements. Although, I need to measure again when it's light out. I'm assuming you have no issues on the clearance where you live at those settings?
No problems. If I recall, you bought Jack's spyder that was at Porsche SA, right? If so, I believe it should already be aligned to hpde/autox/spirited driving settings. Not sure if they can measure beforehand and reset to the same specs afterwards, but he seemed to be pleased with how it was setup.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:13 AM
alemaniac
Racer

No problems. If I recall, you bought Jack's spyder that was at Porsche SA, right? If so, I believe it should already be aligned to hpde/autox/spirited driving settings. Not sure if they can measure beforehand and reset to the same specs afterwards, but he seemed to be pleased with how it was setup.
Yup, that’s the one! I suppose it’s possible the dealership could have adjusted it before putting it up for sale. I do know that the PSS9 are set to the softest setting of 9, both front and back. I was able to get under the car and see those settings. Are those Autocross HPDE settings you referred to above, certain calibration numbers or just a general idea?
Old 07-11-2020, 11:15 AM
MattUF
Racer

I was speaking about the alignment numbers as opposed to the shock settings.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:37 PM
alemaniac
Racer

I was speaking about the alignment numbers as opposed to the shock settings.
Right, that's what I actually meant. Firmness numbers probably just a matter of taste. But, I assume there are some general parameters for normal, spirited, autocross, and full out track, in terms of alignment numbers. Kind of like a spectrum from left to right, with track being at the far right and with the most aggressive numbers. Also, I rechecked my ride height on completely level ground just now. I am at 13.25 in on the front, and 14.25 on the rear, wheel arch to center of center cap. I could go up a tad, but it may not be worth it if it's a dedicated weekend car. Given these numbers, though, it looks like mine is set up for a slightly more aggressive "rake" (as they sometimes call it), front to back. That is, a full inch difference between the front and back.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:05 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Well, I am taking the car in for new rubber this Friday. Going from RE-71R to PS4s. I cannot find the printout from last year when I had to have new top hats/bushings installed, but I believe they just set it close to stock numbers as there was no charge for the alignment. I was reviewing this post again and wondering if others are doing something similar to the -1.8 to -2 Front Camber and -2.5 Rear Camber, total Toe Front 1.0 and total Toe Rear 2.0 suggested by @MattUF and are happy with it. I am still on PSS9 with GT3 LCA's. Spirited driving mostly on back roads with the occasional overnight trip. Basically a Sunday driver car.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:30 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 299 Posts

It's not really camber that causes premature wear; it's toe. Neutral toes means you can get away with quite a lot of camber. I would run about -2.3 since you have the GT3 LCAs to do it.

I do 3-5 track events per year and occasional autocross, but 85% of my driving is spirited street driving. I run -2.3 to -2.4 up front.

Quick Reply: 987 Spyder Alignment Numbers