Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder: The secret is out

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2020 | 04:02 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Interesting to see the combo of more power and weight. Assuming you believe this data: https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsche-boxster-spyder, continues to reinforce my love of the 987 Spyder.
Old 05-22-2020 | 09:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Enthusiasts are definitely getting more acquainted with the Spyders since there’s been more recent press but I feel like there’s still a big knowledge gap. Most are still surprised to hear that the carbon seats were a NO COST standard item on the 987 Spyder. They also don’t fully understand the top and how it can provide three unique driving experiences. But the average person doesn’t have a clue what it is and what makes it so good.

It will take some time before the Spyder is fully recognized for the amazing car that it is. A visually striking, limited production, truly unique mid engined, well built, focused sports car that has the perfect balance of acceleration and fully accessible handling. I’ve gone on numerous canyon runs and there’s not a single time that I have come away wanting something more and I dare say anyone who exploits the Spyders capabilities would have a hard time topping it for pure driving enjoyment.
The following 2 users liked this post by Marine Blue:
MattUF (05-23-2020), MezgerFan (05-26-2020)
Old 05-23-2020 | 12:24 AM
Socialpro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Enthusiasts are definitely getting more acquainted with the Spyders since there’s been more recent press but I feel like there’s still a big knowledge gap. Most are still surprised to hear that the carbon seats were a NO COST standard item on the 987 Spyder. They also don’t fully understand the top and how it can provide three unique driving experiences. But the average person doesn’t have a clue what it is and what makes it so good.

It will take some time before the Spyder is fully recognized for the amazing car that it is. A visually striking, limited production, truly unique mid engined, well built, focused sports car that has the perfect balance of acceleration and fully accessible handling. I’ve gone on numerous canyon runs and there’s not a single time that I have come away wanting something more and I dare say anyone who exploits the Spyders capabilities would have a hard time topping it for pure driving enjoyment.
Well said. Even thought I'm very familiar with the 981 spyder and options this is also the first time I'm hearing that the 987 Spyder offered buckets as a no cost item. What were they thinking at that time - boy how things have changed!!
Old 05-23-2020 | 12:25 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Didn't one have to pay extra to get the buckets swapped to sofas? I hope they were giving heafty sales bonuses to anyone who convinced a buyer to do that swap!
Old 05-23-2020 | 01:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daylorb
Didn't one have to pay extra to get the buckets swapped to sofas? I hope they were giving heafty sales bonuses to anyone who convinced a buyer to do that swap!
It was a no cost option to swap to sofa’s but if you wanted heated seats you had to check the box which did cost extra. I know this because my original spec had the sofa’s with heated seats but after a test drive in the buckets I immediately changed my mind, how could you not love a comfy race seat!

The back story as to why there are more Spyders with Sofa’s is that dealers were specking out the Spyders and dealers got burned with 997.2 911 release models which also came standard with GT2 seats. Apparently the 911’s sat on the lot as the buyers didn’t want the buckets and dealers ended up swapping out seats to sell the cars. I’m not sure why Porsche thought that was a good idea as many 911 buyers are looking for a more practical car which precludes the bucket seats. Porsche finally figured out that the buckets should be limited to specialty cars by 2011 but sadly the dealers had not learned and thus we have a large percentage of sofa’s.
Old 05-24-2020 | 01:11 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
It was a no cost option to swap to sofa’s but if you wanted heated seats you had to check the box which did cost extra. I know this because my original spec had the sofa’s with heated seats but after a test drive in the buckets I immediately changed my mind, how could you not love a comfy race seat!

The back story as to why there are more Spyders with Sofa’s is that dealers were specking out the Spyders and dealers got burned with 997.2 911 release models which also came standard with GT2 seats. Apparently the 911’s sat on the lot as the buyers didn’t want the buckets and dealers ended up swapping out seats to sell the cars. I’m not sure why Porsche thought that was a good idea as many 911 buyers are looking for a more practical car which precludes the bucket seats. Porsche finally figured out that the buckets should be limited to specialty cars by 2011 but sadly the dealers had not learned and thus we have a large percentage of sofa’s.
So painful - it is the one thing I'd change about my Spyder, just can't reason with $8k to make it happen.
Old 05-24-2020 | 03:30 PM
KrisA
Rennlist Member

Does anyone actually think the buckets cost Porsche more to make than the sport seats with power back rests? Correct me if I'm wrong here but they aren't actually made of carbon fiber are they? I thought they were "carbon reinforced plastic" with a cosmetic weave applied to the back side? Just because Porsche charges $5000 to option them doesn't mean they actually cost much, if any, more to make. If they are more expensive to make I'd gather it's more of just an economies of scale kind of thing.

I've never driven them, but have sat in them in the dealership. Seem reasonably comforatable, but I'm also the guy riding 135g saddles on my bicycles. They do seam annoying to climb in and out of if you were using the car for errand and I know my wife would HATE them.
Old 05-24-2020 | 06:29 PM
rk15000
Rennlist Member

Not sure about costs to make, but generally if you want any uncommon options/parts Porsche makes you pay for it. I think it helps a bit if you look at special options like these as artisan crafts - it's not just the raw materials cost you're paying for, but also the person's keen eye who actually stitches the leather, selects the right cuts of carbon fiber, measures everything. Granted, a lot of this is probably done by robot/CAD these days but you're still paying for the expertise, and anything with a Porsche logo on it screams performance and excellence
Old 05-24-2020 | 06:42 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

You are correct the GT2 seats that were supplied with the Spyder and RS are a carbon/plastic weave with an outer carbon shell. Here’s a link explaining the differences: https://www.porsche.com/internationa...t-audio/seats/ While not as cool as a true full carbon fiber I question if it matters if they accomplish the same result, lightweight and stiff/supportive.

As far as cost to produce, I really don’t know. The seat frames in the regular seats could be something that’s sold in very large quantities with some minor variations for each manufacturer so the engineering and design costs are spread out. The carbon buckets are a Porsche only seat sold in very small quantities so you’re likely paying more due to the low volume as you eluded.

Old 05-24-2020 | 07:06 PM
joliver3
Advanced

Originally Posted by KrisA
Does anyone actually think the buckets cost Porsche more to make than the sport seats with power back rests? Correct me if I'm wrong here but they aren't actually made of carbon fiber are they? ....
Hate to tell you this, but most things that are thought of as being made of "carbon fiber" are actually "carbon fiber reinforced plastic" or CFRP. Including bicycle frames! The carbon fibers or woven carbon "cloth" are set into a thermoplastic or epoxy matrix before curing.

I'm not a Spyder owner (well, I have an RS60 Spyder, but I know that's not the same thing ), but I'd love to own one someday if they weren't holding their value so well! Maybe I'll at least get to drive one at some point. To get back to the main topic, I don't really feel like specialness of the 987.1 Spyder was ever a secret!

Old 05-24-2020 | 08:54 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk15000
Not sure about costs to make, but generally if you want any uncommon options/parts Porsche makes you pay for it. I think it helps a bit if you look at special options like these as artisan crafts - it's not just the raw materials cost you're paying for, but also the person's keen eye who actually stitches the leather, selects the right cuts of carbon fiber, measures everything. Granted, a lot of this is probably done by robot/CAD these days but you're still paying for the expertise, and anything with a Porsche logo on it screams performance and excellence
I did a factory tour last year and was surprised that the leather was actually mostly done by hand. The leather patterns are cut using a program and robot however the leather is actually stitched and applied by hand for each of the trim pieces so yeah it makes sense that they cost more. The robot that cuts the leather actually inspects the hide and finds defects and then figures out the most efficient use.

Quick Reply: Spyder: The secret is out