Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

New Porsche Owner - Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020 | 09:44 AM
Chris N
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
You’re likely right about the respray although it also could have been a clear bra that was removed and took the sticker with it. I have bra over my stripe on the fender and rear flare, I suspect both will likely come off with the bra and I’ll need to add that to my cost to replace the bra.
Great point.

Originally Posted by alemaniac
I have a half front clear bra on the fenders and hood of my 987.2 Spyder (previous owner had installed). Also over the entire front bumper. I will eventually make the move to a full Xpel front, and want to add the doors and rear fenders and rear bumper. A reputable shop I spoke with tried to dissuade me from doing the clear bra over the PORSCHE decal, saying it will cause air pockets (ghosting) and won't look right. Yet, it seems that most people on Rennlist have been happy with the results.

Would you recommend clear bra over the stripe? Way I see it, is there are only two other options when doing the doors and rear fender. Either to not cover the stripe, and there is only a razor thin portion of paint there under the side air intake on the Spyder, or to remove the old stripe and apply a new stripe over the clear bra. I don't think I would like that last option.
My car had a clear bra installed over the stripe that was probably installed in 2012. My guy managed to remove it without taking the stripes with it, although it was definitely a concern. There is no ghosting around the stripes, but I had a very high end shop do the work and voiced my concern about that issue. They could have cut the xpel out around the stripes if needed.
Old 05-14-2020 | 11:05 AM
alemaniac
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris N
Great point.

My car had a clear bra installed over the stripe that was probably installed in 2012. My guy managed to remove it without taking the stripes with it, although it was definitely a concern. There is no ghosting around the stripes, but I had a very high end shop do the work and voiced my concern about that issue. They could have cut the xpel out around the stripes if needed.
Thanks. Yeah, this place does very high end exotic cars and is supposed to be one of the best in the state. I'll probe them a little more. Again, congrats on that beautiful R!
Old 05-14-2020 | 01:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alemaniac
I have a half front clear bra on the fenders and hood of my 987.2 Spyder (previous owner had installed). Also over the entire front bumper. I will eventually make the move to a full Xpel front, and want to add the doors and rear fenders and rear bumper. A reputable shop I spoke with tried to dissuade me from doing the clear bra over the PORSCHE decal, saying it will cause air pockets (ghosting) and won't look right. Yet, it seems that most people on Rennlist have been happy with the results.

Would you recommend clear bra over the stripe? Way I see it, is there are only two other options when doing the doors and rear fender. Either to not cover the stripe, and there is only a razor thin portion of paint there under the side air intake on the Spyder, or to remove the old stripe and apply a new stripe over the clear bra. I don't think I would like that last option.
If you look very closely you can see some slight ghosting on my black Spyder but most people don’t even realize the car has a bra on it. As far as approach, I would just cover the stripes as it’s really not that noticeable. The rear fender flares take a beating and if you had the stripe on top you would likely be replacing them every couple of years to keep them looking new, they last the lifetime of the bra when protected.
The following users liked this post:
alemaniac (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020 | 02:17 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Weren't you trying to sell the car? What happened? I had a friend send me a black R listing from Irvine I can't imagine they're too common and the miles seemed the same as your car.
Old 05-14-2020 | 04:39 PM
Chris N
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tq.3z
Weren't you trying to sell the car? What happened? I had a friend send me a black R listing from Irvine I can't imagine they're too common and the miles seemed the same as your car.
I just took delivery of it this past December. NO, not trying to sell it. Hell, I don't even even have the radio stations programed yet. I bought it from an Austin, TX Porsche dealer though, maybe your friend was looking at it there??
Old 05-15-2020 | 01:59 AM
wail junkie
Advanced

Beautiful car, one of my favorite Porsches. All the right options too. PSE in the 987.2 is not really that far from the regular S exhaust.
Old 05-15-2020 | 07:22 AM
Chris N
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wail junkie
Beautiful car, one of my favorite Porsches. All the right options too. PSE in the 987.2 is not really that far from the regular S exhaust.
Thank you. All is right in the world now, I ended up installing a Capristo exhaust on it last month.
CaymanCarver (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020 | 09:55 AM
EYEHAVEYOU
Instructor

Congrats and enjoy - they really are fantastic cars.
CaymanCarver (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020 | 11:07 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Thank you. All is right in the world now, I ended up installing a Capristo exhaust on it last month.
Capristo!!
I've only heard recordings of the Capristo exhaust on a Cayman via Youtube.. n' they're awesome.
A car I was researching the crap out of had it.. came fairly close to buying it.

IMHO Capristo is the one.

Pics and Recordings or it didn't happen!

Last edited by CaymanCarver; 05-16-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-15-2020 | 03:18 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Out of curiosity, which LED bulbs did you install and what was involved to install them? Personally I don’t think the halogens are bad however more light never hurts. Having said that, I chose not to option the xenons due to the significant amount of added weight and some complexity that they add to the car.
S.V.4 for headlights (plug and play) I just ziptied the wires to the inside of the headlight. I also just got the new GT-R lighting fog light bulbs and awaiting them to come in to install as well.

For exhaust on the wife's car, after providing her all the sound clips of tons of exhausts, she opted for Fabspeed. It's aggressive sounding and a lot louder than stock. We have it on HRE's with the short shifter. The next plan is to install full coil-overs that we're still researching the best one to pick (Billsteins or Ohlins)
Old 05-17-2020 | 01:06 AM
drkn0
Intermediate

Dang! Congrats. Such a good spec. Enjoy it and post some photos of the interior!
Old 05-17-2020 | 11:49 AM
djm68
Racer

Great find! Only 8k miles! I am the original owner of a Peridot R, with the sports exhaust option -- IMO, you are not missing much -- it was a fairly costly option that is too tame. Find a quality aftermarket solution and drive beast -- Cayman is surely one of the best cars we've seen in many years.

Best,
DJM
Old 05-18-2020 | 12:33 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Now there are 2 of us in Socal!
Old 05-18-2020 | 02:58 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Nice car! Cayman R is a great ride, especially if it has the differentiating stuff like buckets. I looked long and hard at those but after consulting with John at Soul Performance (whom you should talk to about your exhaust), a 981 with many upgrades and buckets was his recommendation over a R (slightly cheaper too). I wasn't disappointed. I would have happily bought an R if I hadn't found this 981 CS.

We used that stripe on our 991 C2S as well! I think it looks about perfect on any Porsche: on ours, it really tied together the front of the car to the wheels. A few cars are missing them: some people with no design sense remove them for some reason.

Quick Reply: New Porsche Owner - Cayman R