Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Cayman R Owners!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2019 | 08:41 PM
nickemangione
4th Gear

Default Cayman R Owners!!!

I've been wanting a Cayman R since I first saw one back in 2012. I loved the subtlety of it specialness. I currently have an Evo X with 350whp that's a blast and honestly it's quite the amazing car. I dont drive it much and it has just over 3k miles and I feel weird about have a Mitsubishi garage queen lol. I'm having a hard time finding then for sale or even information on them. I'd love if the owners could chime in and give me some pros and cons.
Old 08-12-2019 | 02:00 PM
WildHorses
4th Gear

My wife and I have had "His & Hers" Cayman R's for many years. We both absolutely love the car. I recently chose to upgrade to a 2018 GT3 as I was getting tired of being passed on the track by GT4s. We then bought a 2015 GT3 for her, but after a couple of weekends on the track, she decided she actually enjoyed the Cayman R more than the GT3. So her GT3 went away.
The Cayman R has subtle improvements over the S, and isn't layered with "excessive" features/options like you may argue the GTS has. It's a simple car that just feels right.
The market likes the R. Compare the depreciation curve on the R vs any other Cayman. Pretty impressive. It's a unique car only produced for one year.
Buy one. You won't regret the decision.
The following users liked this post:
Rick_H (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019 | 04:45 PM
nickemangione
4th Gear

Originally Posted by WildHorses
My wife and I have had "His & Hers" Cayman R's for many years. We both absolutely love the car. I recently chose to upgrade to a 2018 GT3 as I was getting tired of being passed on the track by GT4s. We then bought a 2015 GT3 for her, but after a couple of weekends on the track, she decided she actually enjoyed the Cayman R more than the GT3. So her GT3 went away.
The Cayman R has subtle improvements over the S, and isn't layered with "excessive" features/options like you may argue the GTS has. It's a simple car that just feels right.
The market likes the R. Compare the depreciation curve on the R vs any other Cayman. Pretty impressive. It's a unique car only produced for one year.
Buy one. You won't regret the decision.
Thats awesome! When I was 3 my grandfather picked me up at my house in his brand new 1993 RS America and ever since then I've had the Porsche itch. The R's are not easy to find with low miles unfortunately.
Old 08-12-2019 | 05:43 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Wifey has one, 2012 manual with HREs, short shift, Fabspeed exhaust. We never drive stock.

Compared to my Previous Panamera 4s and now my 991.1S, the R is more analog, more brute and more an of a real race car in every sense. When you drive it, it just wants to go and get unleased. It's 6spd but at times I do wish it was 7 in the freeway it feels like it wants that next gear ( 7th overdrive) like my 991.1S has. It can be tame when you drive, but can easily turn into a beast.
Old 09-05-2019 | 07:05 PM
mangysaurus
1st Gear

It's one of my favorite cars. As 2010panny4s says, the analog nature is what you truly appreciate about it. Compared to other trim levels, the slight nip tuck is noticeable and inspires more confidence. All in all, it's a great driver's car.
The following users liked this post:
85Gold (09-07-2019)
Old 09-06-2019 | 05:26 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

My old R is still out there (hopefully) -- saw it last fall around Halloween: PCCBs, Spyder wheels, LWBs, 6 speed, SC, PCM, Bose, auto AC, short shift, sat radio. Loaded compared to most. It barely had 18k miles when I traded it, which was a major mistake. Damn 981 Spyder came along...

Quick Reply: Cayman R Owners!!!