Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Nice Spyder SOLD on BaT today

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 05:38 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

987 Spyder is different enough from the 981 and 718 Spyders to not be affected by their supply. A 718 Spyder Touring or Boxster R (auto-top NA Spyder) would be a winner.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:44 PM
Cam07
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
KBB has been wrong for years and it creates two issues, insurance companies and banks place lower values across the board.
This is the issue I’m now coming across. I’m looking at a 987.2 Spyder for ~$53k and the bank has come back saying they only value at $41k per NADA. While this ultimately shouldn’t be an issue w/ the bank, I’m wondering if regular insurance companies would say the same thing in the event the car is totaled? I currently use Geico and they weren’t able to give me a clear answer other than they value based on the Actual Cash Value.

Do you have to get a more “collector” car policy with an established value for vehicles like this? It seems a little extreme in my eyes, but wouldn’t want an insurance company trying to give me $10k less than its worth in the unforeseen event something happens.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-23-2019, 11:04 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam07
This is the issue I’m now coming across. I’m looking at a 987.2 Spyder for ~$53k and the bank has come back saying they only value at $41k per NADA. While this ultimately shouldn’t be an issue w/ the bank, I’m wondering if regular insurance companies would say the same thing in the event the car is totaled? I currently use Geico and they weren’t able to give me a clear answer other than they value based on the Actual Cash Value.

Do you have to get a more “collector” car policy with an established value for vehicles like this? It seems a little extreme in my eyes, but wouldn’t want an insurance company trying to give me $10k less than its worth in the unforeseen event something happens.

Thanks everyone!
Easy solutions to both issues: Use a lender and insurance company that understands what you've got. Try XCEL FCU (you might need an appraisal, which is easy to get [PM me if you want a name]) and any number of collector-car insurance companies easily found. Prices for both are competitive with generic lenders and insurance companies.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:12 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam07

Thanks everyone!
Go back to Geico and find out how they establish Actual Cash Value. This is a routine item.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:31 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by oofie810
shhh...I contacted them already and trying to line up a PPI for it. Lvanpelt729's post helped as he's seen the car already.
Regularly scan autotrader - there are plenty of non-enthusiasts and 2nd tier dealers who think the car is just a Boxster and use KBB to set their price...! Just have to find them before others!
Old 05-25-2019, 04:45 PM
Boostaholic247
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice cars. Something to be said about simplicity with an ever growing tech era.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:23 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I sound like a broken record but the manual top is the only thing that stops me from buying one of these and I'm the ideal (and presumably rare) target buyer that fully appreciates everything else about them.

The answer to all of your prayers!

But you better act quick before others of a similar mind-set (of which you've assured us there are plenty) swoop in and grab this.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:33 AM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey

But you better act quick before others of a similar mind-set (of which you've assured us there are plenty) swoop in and grab this.
What the...
Old 06-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Clearly a dealer that made an error or has no clue.

The 987.2 Spyder’s ethos is the 550. Raw and basic. The 981 Spyder steps away from that. Any with a power top is out for sure just on that note.

The top on the 987.2 Spyder imho is not meant to be put up and down multiple times a day or week. The car is a no top car with a cover in the event of an errant shower.

Its a true Spyder not a convertible. The top has to be put on. It doesn’t just go up as an appendage to the car.

I keep mine mine with the top off. Rarely do I put it on. I believe it was not meant to be with a top.

I paid $59k for mine over a year ago. 14k miles, black, mt and sofas. No pse. Maybe I over paid??? Not sure. Oh well anyway I’m loving it. It’s a car that will retain its value if not go up and a wonderful engaging car. Bonus- wife loves it.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:10 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

LOL! Great find! One of one. Though the PDK is an even bigger deal-breaker for me. Fussy, I know...

Quick Reply: Nice Spyder SOLD on BaT today