Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

My new 987 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018 | 06:02 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Big congrats!

must be a great feeling after search for specific hard to find car
Old 03-23-2018 | 06:06 PM
chdowns10
Intermediate

I almost got a red one as well. One came up in black at a price I felt comfortable with so I jumped at that instead. Smile on my face every time I drive it.
Old 03-23-2018 | 06:47 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys . The enthusiasm for all Spyders is something else here , even RHD
Our red 987 S daily driver is sold now . The 981pdk takes that job, and this takes the Canyon Carving
( well UK equivalent

It the Christmas morning feeling again
Unwrap the roof , put it back up again , unwrap it again , step back and look
Spring is in the air , look forward to posting some driving impressions soon
Old 03-23-2018 | 07:36 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Just piling on with the congrats, TJ! Great pick up Welcome to Spyder Nation!
Old 03-23-2018 | 10:13 PM
Hyper911
Pro

ok that is nice!
Old 03-24-2018 | 06:49 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

^^^^

Thanks , i nearly gave in to white a couple times
Mine has sports exhaust , so no mods planned
Old 03-24-2018 | 11:37 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

The PSE is PERFECT for the Spyder. If you don't have it I would skip the aftermarket options and go straight to it. To get a bit more sound I may at some time bolt on a pair of 200 cell cat headers from Fabspeed but that is in the future.
Old 03-24-2018 | 02:15 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Just curious if we know (or if there are rumors) how many 987 Spyders were made for the UK market? If they numbered in the 800's for the North American market, I gotta think we're talking a VERY small number.
Old 03-24-2018 | 03:29 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Just curious if we know (or if there are rumors) how many 987 Spyders were made for the UK market? If they numbered in the 800's for the North American market, I gotta think we're talking a VERY small number.
I think it was between 100 - 120, definitely not very many. Finding one with buckets, manual and PSE has to be a needle in a haystack.
Old 03-24-2018 | 03:33 PM
Hyper911
Pro

just added fvd catted headers to the pse.......wow it sounds intoxicating.

Originally Posted by Zeus993
The PSE is PERFECT for the Spyder. If you don't have it I would skip the aftermarket options and go straight to it. To get a bit more sound I may at some time bolt on a pair of 200 cell cat headers from Fabspeed but that is in the future.
Old 03-24-2018 | 10:22 PM
johnnyam
5th Gear

Congrats on the new to you Spyder. Looks GREAT.

I have no PSE on my Spyder - but have considered a header change to hear the engine wind a bit more.
Old 04-16-2018 | 10:10 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Smile

:Sorry for the delay , the weather has been horrible in the UK and we bunked off to Malta for a break ! Back now and the weather has improved and i have had the Spyder out at last . All is well with the car and some spirited driving has given no problems .
Not used in the very cold or wet due to old tires . I looked into the options and decided to replace the PS2 with PSS. Due to light weight of car and 95% road use planned i thought the 4S a bit overkill in terms of load rating , stiff sidewalls etc. Being fitted this week

The Spyder replaces 2 cars . First our gen 1 987 Boxster S - of course it has better chassis , steering etc. One thing that really stands out is the gearshift .So fast and precise . Not sure how much the factory S/S helps . The Spyder also has a bigger challenge . I recently sold my 996 GT3 gen2 due to lack of track use mainly and too much cash tied up in it , i was hoping the Spyder can fill the gap . Initial impressions are that it can !
Ok it lacks the amazing Mezger engine and the soundtrack at 8k rpm is not there but otherwise its right up there . Plus its a Boxster as well as a mini GT3
Old 04-16-2018 | 11:26 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hyper911
just added fvd catted headers to the pse.......wow it sounds intoxicating.

How's the volume? Just right? Not TOO LOUD?

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
:Sorry for the delay , the weather has been horrible in the UK and we bunked off to Malta for a break ! Back now and the weather has improved and i have had the Spyder out at last . All is well with the car and some spirited driving has given no problems .
Not used in the very cold or wet due to old tires . I looked into the options and decided to replace the PS2 with PSS. Due to light weight of car and 95% road use planned i thought the 4S a bit overkill in terms of load rating , stiff sidewalls etc. Being fitted this week

The Spyder replaces 2 cars . First our gen 1 987 Boxster S - of course it has better chassis , steering etc. One thing that really stands out is the gearshift .So fast and precise . Not sure how much the factory S/S helps . The Spyder also has a bigger challenge . I recently sold my 996 GT3 gen2 due to lack of track use mainly and too much cash tied up in it , i was hoping the Spyder can fill the gap . Initial impressions are that it can !
Ok it lacks the amazing Mezger engine and the soundtrack at 8k rpm is not there but otherwise its right up there . Plus its a Boxster as well as a mini GT3
Ah yes - the holy grail of Porsche, the one P-car to rule them all! I've stated here before (and fielded some opposition) that the Spyder is 80 - 90% of the 977.1 and.2 GT3's. It's an amazing car, in fact TOO GOOD at times if that can be even comprehended. It makes one a VERY good driver. The combination of the mid-engined layout and the chassis, the hydraulic steering and suspension and power is exquisite.

I've got some mods planned this year - Fabspeed headers with 200 cell cats (to get an even better soundtrack) and a GT3 Master Brake cylinder to increase my brake pedal feel. After these I may jump into the Numeric Shifter and SS shift cables. OMG - I sat in a 987 Cayman last week with this installed. It is so precise it's hard to describe. My SSK is good but it felt LOOSE after this!

Hopefully you are almost through your spring weather. We're still socked in and I am getting seriously antsy about getting the Spyder out!

Last edited by Zeus993; 04-16-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-16-2018 | 12:04 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

“ one Porsche car to rule them all “ i like that . Could well be the Holy Grail for a fun road car with occasional track capability . I dont know if the term has been used before , i feel like i joined the Spyderati - tones of illuminati and a bit of glitterati !

Driving my GT3 the image of a Panther often came to mind . The Spyder may be the Lynx ?
Old 04-16-2018 | 01:46 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

I was given a 911 & Porsche World issue 264. It has a feature “ Along came two Spyders “ featuring my car and a 981 .
I could copy it here , about 6 pages but maybe better to e mail a copy if anyone wants one ?

Quick Reply: My new 987 Spyder