Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Blown motor -- any good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 10:57 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts
Default Blown motor -- any good?

Supposedly freshly rebuilt SPB motor. No deep sump. Died on second race of first weekend: "Leakdown shows cyl #2 connecting rod/piston assembly is no longer connected to the crank-shaft."

What would be the market value for this motor now? How much of it is still reusable? Could it be used as a donor for a rebuild?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:11 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Supposedly freshly rebuilt SPB motor. No deep sump. Died on second race of first weekend: "Leakdown shows cyl #2 connecting rod/piston assembly is no longer connected to the crank-shaft."

What would be the market value for this motor now? How much of it is still reusable? Could it be used as a donor for a rebuild?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!
No a Porsche motor expert, but I would guess hard to tell without a tear down. Things that pop into my head:
  • Is the #2 cylinder wall trashed?
  • Is the crankshaft trashed?
  • Are the #2 valves trashed?
  • Is the cylinder head for #2 trashed?
  • Is there damage to camshafts for #2?
  • Is the core of the block trashed?
  • Etc...

In general, pistons/rods departing a running crankshaft is a chaotic event. There is a chance of getting lucky, but it's a small one. I supposed if you got the motor cheap enough meaning perhaps a bit more than scrap value.

-Mike
Old 05-19-2017, 11:19 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36
No a Porsche motor expert, but I would guess hard to tell without a tear down.
I supposed if you got the motor cheap enough meaning perhaps a bit more than scrap value.
Thanks! How much $ does a teardown cost and what potential $ range of answers could it provide ($0-$????, worst case/best case)?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:54 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by hf1
Thanks! How much $ does a teardown cost and what potential $ range of answers could it provide ($0-$????, worst case/best case)?
No idea, but Porsche and cheap do not go together like chocolate and peanut butter.

You could get a quote from some local P-car mechanics. If I bring you a motor, how much to take it apart?

-Mike
Old 05-19-2017, 12:08 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Call your local Spec Boxster shop and ask.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:14 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
Call your local Spec Boxster shop and ask.
I already have a good shop/mechanic. Just trying to educate myself and to draw from a wider/deeper pool of knowledge here. In this case, just wanted to confirm that scrapping this motor is the best option or whether a teardown may be a worthwhile investment. We're putting in a 'new' (used) motor in the car either way.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:18 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My guess is no, it's not worth you spending more money on that engine. If you were to do the tear down yourself you may be able to sell some parts off, but paying to tear it down would negate anything you make off the "good" parts.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:18 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

I've always wanted to tear down an engine. Do it yourself and have some fun, knowing that it's very unlikely you're doing more damage than has already been done.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:34 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by linzman
I've always wanted to tear down an engine. Do it yourself and have some fun, knowing that it's very unlikely you're doing more damage than has already been done.
That's not a bad idea. There have got to be youtube videos on the subject. Get yourself a pack of sharpies and paper lunch bags to label things like "bolts from left valve cover" and go to town. The paper bags work better than plastic because oil won't ruin the pen markings.

Be careful and keep it organized, you could part out quite a bit of it if the results are poor.

-Mike
Old 05-19-2017, 04:40 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Common failure - you had a #2 rod bearing let go.

Tear it down yourself, it will be a good learning experience.

The crank and case will be garbage.

The IMS may be ok and is certainly worth salvaging along with the balance of pistons and rods. The heads and valve train may be ok - you won't know until you get in there. All the peripherals are worth keeping. Once on an engine stand the tear down will take you a few hours.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:22 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

This teardown idea seems interesting, if only for its educational/fun value. When you have a lemon, make lemonade -- though my current wrench experience ends with fluids, pads, and rotors change. I'll look into it. Thx to everyone that suggested it.

Is there a marketplace for used engine internals?
Old 05-21-2017, 11:17 AM
mjj0000
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I have two such motors in boxes

If anyone is interested, I have two such motors in boxes. One was a failed IMS bearing, the other failed when somebody unwittingly dropped a screw down the intake.

I plan to keep enough parts to build one complete motor, which leaves a fair number of extra parts that I would be happy to part with. PM me if you are interested.

Michael
Old 05-22-2017, 11:12 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

It's a simple engine to tear down :-) Just a little harder to put back together.

Been awhile since I tore into one -- but I don't remember anything hidden or particularly difficult.

Most likely have a large t40? torx for the headbolts, but other than that -- pretty standard.

Mike
Old 07-28-2017, 03:27 PM
Black Sweeper
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May not be practical since I am in Florida, I would carefully disassemble it in my private shop just for the learning experience. No charge. I have built race motors but not boxers.

thanks

Jerry
Old 07-28-2017, 08:45 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Black Sweeper
May not be practical since I am in Florida, I would carefully disassemble it in my private shop just for the learning experience. No charge. I have built race motors but not boxers.

thanks

Jerry
Jerry, thanks for the generous offer but not sure the experiment would be worth the shipping cost to me. What are the odds that we could build a running motor at a reasonable cost after you open it up?

Quick Reply: Blown motor -- any good?