Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

SPB rules and removing parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 10:01 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

^ forget the rules, written or unwritten - do NOT run without metal bumpers of some type. You are asking to bend frame rails with even a minor bump, and do much more damage to quarters, and in the front, radiators.

If you want to lose some weight then just swiss cheese the factory bumper bars. Otherwise fab up some mild steel bars and extend the ends to curve around for better corner protection.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:31 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I'll be close to making weight without removing, but was curious since the photos I've been looking at show many cars without. I am considering making a steel rear bumper but doubt that it would be any lighter, although I may try just because I hate the look of the rear bumper with the license plate area removed.

Weight without me, cool suit, or fire suppression system and 1/4 tank of gas is right around 2450.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:06 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Let's discuss front and rear metal bumpers.

The rules say that "The rear metal bumper may be removed, and a steel reinforcement added in its place" [rule 6E]. Looking online at pics, it appears that many have removed, but not replaced with a steel reinforcement. Additionally, lots have removed the front metal bumper as well, yet nothing in the rules states that you are allowed. Are these yet more unwritten or missed rules?
I'm now at a point where I'm asking the same questions. If the front bumper is supposed to be legal to change/remove I'd probably opt to cut it up / swiss cheese it to save weight but not eliminate it. Right now I plan to leave it as is - to me that change appears illegal by the written 2017 rules. I'd be happy to hear otherwise.

I'll probably do something with the rear bumper though. My reading of the rules is one can remove and optionally replace it, so modifying or swiss cheesing the rear bumper seems fine and legal.

Quick Reply: SPB rules and removing parts