Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

New Owner, DE to SPB, Question on Reliability and Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 04:03 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
Temperatures were over 100F the whole time and we're at high altitude so the car doing well in the heat was really a big accomplishment in my mind. The oil never got over 205F at any point and was around 190-200 most of the time, but after about 45 minutes at 105F outside or so the water got up close to 240 indicated so I stared shifting between 6-6.5k instead of around redline every time and that was enough for it to come back down. I do wonder if the flashed ECU runs more fuel and therefore runs the car a bit cooler than the stock ECU - not sure but I would halfway expect it to work that way. Anyway the car seems to work pretty well in endurance racing, and I can always still add the third radiator.
Where are you measuring the oil temp and coolant temp? In my 2000 Boxster S (so 3.2 and with 3rd radiator and I have the fans on the outer radiators configured to run on high when I flip a switch) I have a VDO oil gauge with the sensor in the left valve cover, and on hot days at tracks like Sebring with a lot of WOT it would get up to 240F but backing down for a lap would quickly get it back in the 220F range. On cool days it would stay closer to 200-210F and the coolant would stay at 180F. I didn't log my coolant temp but I would guess around 20F cooler than the oil from looking at the gauges while driving and in my videos (the coolant temp is a little more accurate on the older cars vs being a straight idiot gauge) Do you mean oil at 240F and coolant at 205F?

Sounds like a great weekend and glad you got the car sorted!
Old 08-04-2020, 05:31 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by steved0x
Where are you measuring the oil temp and coolant temp? In my 2000 Boxster S (so 3.2 and with 3rd radiator and I have the fans on the outer radiators configured to run on high when I flip a switch) I have a VDO oil gauge with the sensor in the left valve cover, and on hot days at tracks like Sebring with a lot of WOT it would get up to 240F but backing down for a lap would quickly get it back in the 220F range. On cool days it would stay closer to 200-210F and the coolant would stay at 180F. I didn't log my coolant temp but I would guess around 20F cooler than the oil from looking at the gauges while driving and in my videos (the coolant temp is a little more accurate on the older cars vs being a straight idiot gauge) Do you mean oil at 240F and coolant at 205F?

Sounds like a great weekend and glad you got the car sorted!
Thanks! I’m finally getting confident in the car’s overall mechanical reliability which is really good.

My coolant is just from the stock sensor read at the gauge cluster, but I had an oil cooler installed along with digital gauges for oil temp and pressure when I had the engine replaced. I used to know where the sensors were placed but I’ve forgotten and will have to look when it’s convenient. Since the oil temp is so cool I haven’t much worried about it.

And while I have an oil cooler, I don’t have the third radiator. Well, I do, but it’s on a shelf in the garage. I have a deep sump, oil cooler, and an accusump in the car right now so I have a ton of oil in the car (19L!). I figured I could likely get away without the weight of the third radiator and plumbing, but if I get into endurance racing with the car I might install it.

Because of this combination of parts, my oil temps are usually lower than my water temps by a fair bit. So yes, I was seeing 205F reported oil temp at the same time as a 240F water temp on the cluster.

It was funny the first time I realized my oil was cooling the water instead of the other way around - it’s the closest I’ll get to having an air cooled SPB 😁
Old 10-15-2020, 02:24 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

The 2020 season is over - what a strange year!

I just sprayed the black bottom front bumper cover with more black to erase rock chips. I’ll remount the 996 Cup splitter in the next few days.

I’m getting the ECU and headers swapped back to OEM this month. This will include fixing the immobilizer. The eBay headers always leaked so I’ll toss them. I’ll keep the ECU in case I run non-SPB (and I’d get a wing too!). There’s talk about us running GTS1 and as a gentleman’s agreement running full PCA SPB. That sounds great to me - we’ll see how it goes.

I have the cage lined up for December or so. Because of that, I removed the door beams and unbolted and removed the factory roll bar. Both were quick and easy. The interior looks naked. I got out the dash since I’ll finally be able to mount it. Heavier than I remembered!

My race license has been verbally approved. I’ll have to get my medical exam in and the rest of the paperwork before the spring events. It looks like next year I’ll finally race my Spec Boxster.

The door bar has a forward and aft fastener and some foam adhesive to get rid of. I used an auto trim removal tool. Fishing wire would probably have been faster if I had any laying around.

The roll bar just unbolted and lifted out.

The car looks naked, ready for a cage!

My youngest boy enjoying himself

And my older boy enjoying his kart today
Old 10-15-2020, 04:45 PM
martt1ski
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome! Great to see you @ UMC this past weekend. We should be up to about 7-10 SPB for next season. Looking into classing as SPB vs trying to shoehorn into ST5 or GTS1, One of the local folks here working w/NASA on this.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:08 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by martt1ski
Welcome! Great to see you @ UMC this past weekend. We should be up to about 7-10 SPB for next season. Looking into classing as SPB vs trying to shoehorn into ST5 or GTS1, One of the local folks here working w/NASA on this.
It really has grown these last few years!

NASA had “Spec 986” not too many years ago, perhaps that could make it easier four our local region to separate it:
https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...86_boxster.pdf

The PCA rules have evolved slightly but that’s pretty close.

News releases from when this was new are still up as well, but the site is gone:
https://www.nasaproracing.com/news/2...he_new_porsche
https://www.nasaproracing.com/news/2...amed_as_spec_9

An archive of the site is at: https://web.archive.org/web/20110528...pecracing.org/
Old 02-05-2021, 03:45 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Car is nearing completion!

I had an exhaust shop replace the factory headers and repair a weld on a connector between the two exit pipes.

I then had the race shop fix my immobilizer mistake. Took them 3-4 hours to figure it out and button everything back up. They did the two minute reinstall of the factory ECU, so I’m now back to SPB configuration instead of trying for NASA ST4/5. I’m thinking to get it dyno’d with both ECUs to see what the difference is. I wrote on them to make it super easy to know which is installed in the car.

But the big step was that I dropped the car off to have a cage built. Once it’s done I’ll put up some photos. The car will only need a few finishing pieces to be in full SPB condition. I’m excited!
Old 02-06-2021, 09:15 AM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You guys need to make a trip out to California. We have a reduced fied (due to covid) of still 18 SPB/BSR this weekend with the Porsche Owners Club. Air Power Racing from UMC comes out a few times a year to our events and is racing with us this weekend.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:52 PM
martt1ski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37
Car is nearing completion!

I had an exhaust shop replace the factory headers and repair a weld on a connector between the two exit pipes.

I then had the race shop fix my immobilizer mistake. Took them 3-4 hours to figure it out and button everything back up. They did the two minute reinstall of the factory ECU, so I’m now back to SPB configuration instead of trying for NASA ST4/5. I’m thinking to get it dyno’d with both ECUs to see what the difference is. I wrote on them to make it super easy to know which is installed in the car.

But the big step was that I dropped the car off to have a cage built. Once it’s done I’ll put up some photos. The car will only need a few finishing pieces to be in full SPB condition. I’m excited!
@ace37 Good News! The Intermountain SPB group is going to run NASA GTS1 for 2021 and see how it goes/no Hoosiers by local agreement.
The local group has a few road trips (Co, Ca) planned as well as our region's PCA Club Race in June, here. PM me and I'll add your email to the local distro. I'll post a sample schedule shortly and link here.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:22 PM
Maytag
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by martt1ski
@ace37 Good News! The Intermountain SPB group is going to run NASA GTS1 for 2021 and see how it goes/no Hoosiers by local agreement.
The local group has a few road trips (Co, Ca) planned as well as our region's PCA Club Race in June, here. PM me and I'll add your email to the local distro. I'll post a sample schedule shortly and link here.

Well this has been a fun thread to read through! John, it'll be fun to be out there with ya this year. You and I seem to be arriving from different directions, but at the same time. (I enjoyed seeing in your timeline where you were at when you and I met the first time. I was just getting ready for my 1st DE, and I think you were replacing a motor)

Anyway:
Tim, am I on that distribution list, too? 'cuz I haven't sent anything about road trips... but I'd sure like to. ;-)
Old 02-21-2021, 08:43 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

The POC will also be traveling to your June race at UMC
The following 2 users liked this post by bkovac:
martt1ski (02-22-2021), Maytag (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 11:38 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maytag
Well this has been a fun thread to read through! John, it'll be fun to be out there with ya this year. You and I seem to be arriving from different directions, but at the same time. (I enjoyed seeing in your timeline where you were at when you and I met the first time. I was just getting ready for my 1st DE, and I think you were replacing a motor)

Anyway:
Tim, am I on that distribution list, too? 'cuz I haven't sent anything about road trips... but I'd sure like to. ;-)
Agreed, and in addition to seeing you over at the track I’ve enjoyed seeing your 430 now and then on local drives. I don’t know if I mentioned this to you but in 2018 I nearly bought a 430 when I sold the ‘17 911 turbo. I bought a loaded new Alfa 4C spider instead for only a little less money. I like that we have a track rat subgroup within our local exotic community.
The following users liked this post:
Maytag (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 04:04 PM
martt1ski
Rennlist Member

Yep - Will send updated road trip info out today. Here is a snip from January email threads: In addition to monthly NASA-UMC events.........................

POC race at Buttonwillow in February. It is also their first Racers Clinic of the year. Anyone that we think is close to a race license, we should get them to this event, or if they are going to be ready later in the year, then Spring Mountain in October is a great option. At that Buttonwillow event, there will be an open track day on Friday as well. The track pricing for an open track day is not bad and you can do the whole day, or a half day.

March is slim pickings right now, NASA UMC at the end of the month.

April – lots of options. Thunderhill April 2-4 as it is a full PCA weekend with practice starts etc. Spring Mountain with POC

May – Some considering Willow Springs with POC. PCA at Buttonwillow an option as well/a West Coast Series race. A test day is available on Friday at Buttonwillow. At this point, Buttonwillow with PCA is on the calendar.

June – Our IRPCA/UMC race is slotting in the weekend of 6/11- 6/13. POC participation! Multiple DE groups; configurations are ORC + Full.

July – two options for Sonoma. The PCA event is a full PCA weekend with practice starts etc. They also have DE that weekend. It is a GGR weekend. It is also the 4th of July weekend. The next weekend is POC, and they are buying a run group from someone. You will get 4 sessions per day. I am not sure about testing on Friday. Sonoma usually has test days.

NASA UMC Enduro is the end of July first of August. That is a fun weekend – that is the calendar now. I would be a willing and paying NASA Enduro participant…

August has a PCA race only at Sonoma. They have purchased a run group from NASA, so limited track time. Possible Friday open track.

September has 2 PCA race options – right now looks like High Plains in Denver - A bunch of us have carports/parking spaces - check w/group. There may be a contingent going to CA.

October looks fun. First weekend is POC Spring Mountain with their second Racers clinic. The following weekend is PCA at Sonoma. Again, Sonoma is a race only event, limited track time, possible Friday practice. Would consider Spring Mountain if we have anyone in the region for the Racers clinic.

The above needs updating - but gives you an idea.

The following users liked this post:
moburki (03-26-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 09:37 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

If you come out to the May POC Willow Springs event, we will also be hosting a 4 hour enduro into the night. Its a blast. There is a Friday night practice. There are both Unlimited (pit stop) and handicap groups. Spec Boxsters have won the previous handicap race.
The following 2 users liked this post by bkovac:
martt1ski (02-23-2021), tgsmith4845 (02-24-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 07:37 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

I have a lot of unfinished details to clean up, but the cage is finally in!

The following 3 users liked this post by ace37:
martt1ski (03-14-2021), moburki (03-26-2021), sinibaldi (11-01-2023)
Old 05-27-2021, 05:45 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

I had my first race this last weekend! I was able to capitalize on a few mistakes others made to take fourth in our field of eight cars despite being the slowest qualifier. Most importantly, I had a great time and nobody had any real issues! I made a good clean run and avoided a few spun cars over the course of the race. The SPB race specifically was quite eventful - some spins, one loose top and one undertray flew away - and it was the most fun I’ve had in a car in recent memory. Looking forward to the next one 🙂

I’m hoping one of the local photographers made it out there and got a few good shots, but here’s the car before the race anyway. While SPB doesn’t fit that class rule set, we are all listed in RaceHero as GTS1 cars to let us group our times.

The following 3 users liked this post by ace37:
BFT3.2 (05-27-2021), martt1ski (05-28-2021), Nickshu (05-28-2021)

Quick Reply: New Owner, DE to SPB, Question on Reliability and Cooling