Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Spec boxster cage - best design

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 11:25 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Spec boxster cage - best design

My donor is scheduled to have the cage installed in late March, which should give me enough time to get it ready. I will be using Kirk Racing, Mark did my 944 cage years ago and his builds are fantastic. However, in searching pics of SPB cages, I see a huge variance in designs. Looking for thoughts on what I should consider adding (FIA bar) and things that are not worth the weight.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:39 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

We'd be happy to do your cage for you. We've done a lot of SPB cages and know what works best.
Driver Coaching / Trackside Support / Race Prep / Car Builds

SPB/SPC/GTB1 donors ready to go for your next build. We do cages in house as well.

PDK repair experts
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 01-31-2017, 09:08 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Todd, but with Kirk racing being only 18 miles from my home it makes my life easy.

I noticed that some people are adding the FIA bars, I like the idea, but I am concerned with ingress/egress. This is compounded by the fact that I use a full containment seat and am short.

How many are tying into the front shock mounts? Is it worth it on these cars?
Old 01-31-2017, 09:41 AM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Thanks Todd, but with Kirk racing being only 18 miles from my home it makes my life easy.

I noticed that some people are adding the FIA bars, I like the idea, but I am concerned with ingress/egress. This is compounded by the fact that I use a full containment seat and am short.

How many are tying into the front shock mounts? Is it worth it on these cars?
The FIA bar is a good idea but it could make it much more difficult for ingress/egress purposes. You may be able to speak with the cage builder and have him just tack the bar in place and then you go and try it out. If the bar gets in the way just cut the tacks and take it out, if not have him burn it in.

You absolutely want to go to the front shock mounts.

You will also want to have door bars that triangulate the opening, this helps with chassis stiffening.

Other than those items the cage builder should be able to give you ideas that will be safe, light, and stiffen the chassis.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:54 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I was looking at cages at a NASA event for about a dozen boxsters and caymans. I had previously started thinking and googling cage designs. One I was really impressed with was the Cayman GT4 Clubsport cage. I'd take a look at it before you make up your mind. When the time comes I may see if I can have my builder make my cage using similar tube paths, gusseting, and joint/node design to the forward cage.

I will tie in to the struts. I'm also 6'1" so I may need to play a few games to ensure I have enough headroom.

My day job is aircraft structural analysis so cage design was more interesting to me than to a typical racer.

Last edited by ace37; 04-24-2017 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:15 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Here's the GT4 CS cage. I'd go out a bit further into the doors since ours are gutted and consider skipping the aft center (firewall) horizontal bar. Maybe a bit more gusseting on the X there instead.

Most of the factory race car cages are well designed. Often you could skip a few specific tubes.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:32 AM
TJA1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim, I saw your hard top picture thread and saw you didn't have a cage installed yet. Here's a picture of mine. The seat is on sliders because it has to accommodate me and my wife. In the picture the seat is all the way back. I'm 5' 8" and it is nigh on impossible for me to get in the car wearing helmet & Hans with the halo seat in the "driving" position. Sadly, I won't be able to make the Barber Father's Day event this year or you could scope out my cage in person. You've probably seen the car before, it's been at Barber the last two Father's Day events #86.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:49 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

TJA1,

Yes, I have looked your car over at Barber more than once, great build. I too have the problem of short stature, halo seat and issues of ingress/egress. I plan on working closely with the builder to give me as much room as possible, and yet retain a safe cage.

I've want to avoid the "knee-capper" bar that you have installed below the dash. I'm hoping my builder can replace the factory cross bar with a true dash bar in the same location.

Quick Reply: Spec boxster cage - best design