Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

SPBDA meetings

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 04:28 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll buy the drinks, all i need is the set up the fast guys are running......
Old 06-15-2016, 07:20 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

We will have the scales and everything to do a setup at VIR if you'd like. We are trying some new things that weekend as far as setup.

I also ordered an extra pair of 500# springs that we will test (500# all 4 corners) at the PCA DE at Indy Aug 19-21. If anyone would like to join us that weekend we have cars for rent and trackside/coaching opportunities.
Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Old 06-15-2016, 08:38 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
There is a lot of little things that can help the car as a whole. Some are easy to do, some are harder. I see opportunity for improvement in most cars I look at (including my own) in some way that will help the car.

I can help you with it if you need it.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:42 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Yes please...
Old 06-15-2016, 10:06 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Yes please...
Ehmmmmm....... the fast guys were responding to my offer.......

Todd and Matt, like Gary said, any help will be immensely appreciated from the slow guys like...... myself (I won't speak for GaryR ) ........
Old 06-16-2016, 01:39 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FeuerRacing
Get with Gladwill on rule change proposals as he's our representative to PCA. I know he was also interested in squaring up the springs as well. If you need his cell number PM me.

There's nothing you can do to the transmission for longevity besides, getting aggressive on fluids, driving smoother, and making it cooler so considering adding a trans cooler + a wrap or coating on the exhaust to keep heat away from it.

My three big grips in the class from a car perspective:
1) Our rain tires SUCK and is a safety issue
2) Our spring options are limited. I like the idea of saying "450 and 500" is allowed - whatever corner you want them on.
3) OEM wheels are hard to find and costly for the performance/weight. Would love to work with OZ on a spec wheel for the class and drive down costs so we don't have to keep running on straightened wheels

LSD would be interesting...
+1 on the square spring option
+5 on wheels. should be a minimum weight and let the rest be by choice. would certainly help the performance of the car to drop 6-8# of rotating weight. the OEM's are getting harder and harder to come by, they are worn and spendy. was a great option for a while, but i think getting past their prime.

we did a TON of testing to set a SPB up to run in WRL endurance. one of the very good/cheap improvements was spacers in the rear. you should feel the stability increase from a 20mm rear spacer. quick, easy, cheap. and, as chris mentioned with a rain tire change.....would enhance safety on the track.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:45 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Aftermarket wheels wont be as cheap as OEM wheels, that's a given. The last two sets I got where straight and true and cost me less than $800. I have another two sets available to me right now for the same amount. Lowering the weight of the wheel isn't needed either. The class was never intended to be the fastest class out there. The rules as they are currently written allow drivers to manage cost while keeping the cars competitive which was the original intent of the class. A set of OZ wheels will be $1600, which is twice the cost of OEM wheels currently.

Suggest if drivers are looking to go faster they move up to Spec Cayman where all of these proposed changes detailed here are allowed under the current rules for that class. SPB is plenty fast. My car can frequently hang with F or E cars. The issue with making the cars faster is stopping them. The brake system on the cars is already close to its limit due to pad and rotor size.

Spacers in the rear may help the car, but currently is illegal to do to race the car in SPB. It also is not needed. With proper setup, the car is a very stable platform when driven like a mid engined car should be driven. If you try to drive it like a rear or front engined car, its not very stable at all.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:40 PM
Provost Motorsports
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
Aftermarket wheels wont be as cheap as OEM wheels, that's a given. The last two sets I got where straight and true and cost me less than $800. I have another two sets available to me right now for the same amount. Lowering the weight of the wheel isn't needed either. The class was never intended to be the fastest class out there. The rules as they are currently written allow drivers to manage cost while keeping the cars competitive which was the original intent of the class. A set of OZ wheels will be $1600, which is twice the cost of OEM wheels currently.

Suggest if drivers are looking to go faster they move up to Spec Cayman where all of these proposed changes detailed here are allowed under the current rules for that class. SPB is plenty fast. My car can frequently hang with F or E cars. The issue with making the cars faster is stopping them. The brake system on the cars is already close to its limit due to pad and rotor size.

Spacers in the rear may help the car, but currently is illegal to do to race the car in SPB. It also is not needed. With proper setup, the car is a very stable platform when driven like a mid engined car should be driven. If you try to drive it like a rear or front engined car, its not very stable at all.
I agree with MATT.....Just sayin
Old 06-16-2016, 05:15 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Words of wisdom right there.....
Old 06-16-2016, 05:22 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

wait....this class has beer meetings?
Old 06-16-2016, 07:29 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

i understand it is illegal in SPB. as was pointed out earlier, so was running square wheel size. that didn't stop some from testing it, seeing its advantages, and then proposing it to the rule committee. same for the spacers. it settles the car more under trail braking. is the car terrible without? no. but why not consider a noticeable handling improvement for a VERY minor cost and NO work on the car?
Old 06-16-2016, 10:29 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Matt for president!
Old 06-16-2016, 10:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean F
wait....this class has beer meetings?
Words of wisdom right there....
Old 06-16-2016, 10:40 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull_D
i understand it is illegal in SPB. as was pointed out earlier, so was running square wheel size. that didn't stop some from testing it, seeing its advantages, and then proposing it to the rule committee. same for the spacers. it settles the car more under trail braking. is the car terrible without? no. but why not consider a noticeable handling improvement for a VERY minor cost and NO work on the car?
Sorry, I did realize you had said you had tested for WRL. My point was, it's not needed. The car is stable. It teaches car control. The idea isn't to make it RSR stable. The idea is for drivers to develop skills at low speeds and low cost. Adding spacers to the rear is not in line with this. The square wheel size was also driven in part to reduce cost by allowing drivers to rotate their tire stock easier, so had this alignment to the baseline class direction.

In my mind it just takes away from what is a kick *** class.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:51 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I did realize you had said you had tested for WRL. My point was, it's not needed. The car is stable. It teaches car control. The idea isn't to make it RSR stable. The idea is for drivers to develop skills at low speeds and low cost. Adding spacers to the rear is not in line with this. The square wheel size was also driven in part to reduce cost by allowing drivers to rotate their tire stock easier, so had this alignment to the baseline class direction.

In my mind it just takes away from what is a kick *** class.
I agree with Matt.. why bother testing springs/spacers/LSD or anything else that will make the car "better" when the whole idea is to take a stock 97-99 Boxster and go racing with as few possible modifications as possible? It's FINE as-is built within the rules, don't try and turn it into an arms race where those with the most $$ to spend have the best cars. The current spec is great, if something will improve safety change it, otherwise leave the damn car alone. Learn to drive it the way it is, that's the challenge of this class (especially for an old dog like me that apparently has "911" imprinted in his brain)..

Quick Reply: SPBDA meetings