Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

a few SPB questions if you dont mind

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:36 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default a few SPB questions if you dont mind

Contemplating buying a SPB to have some more fun. if anyone could help answer a few questions, would be most appreciative...
1. anyone have a good dyno report they'd like to share for a good motor? whats a good target HP and torque value for a competitive car? whats the best someone has seen? whats the # where you turn your back on a potential car for lack of power?

2. how's the SPB community in the northeast. ? i see a bunch out there but i havent been that in tune. growing? stagnant? few guys or a bunch of good guys?

and lastly
3. for those who maybe are in SPBoxsters after being in faster cars, whats your take? like it? regret it? miss the faster car? thoughts, ideas....thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:51 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
Contemplating buying a SPB to have some more fun. if anyone could help answer a few questions, would be most appreciative...
1. anyone have a good dyno report they'd like to share for a good motor? whats a good target HP and torque value for a competitive car? whats the best someone has seen? whats the # where you turn your back on a potential car for lack of power?

2. how's the SPB community in the northeast. ? i see a bunch out there but i havent been that in tune. growing? stagnant? few guys or a bunch of good guys?

and lastly
3. for those who maybe are in SPBoxsters after being in faster cars, whats your take? like it? regret it? miss the faster car? thoughts, ideas....thanks in advance.
Buy one and jump in with us. We need more cares than the SpP1/2/3 guys! To answer you specifically -

1) not sure you will find anyone willing to share a dyno sheet, they are pretty closely held. Mine has been on the dyno at Powertech, where 5 other SPB's have been. From that I can tell you that healthy car make high 190's hp. Below mid 180's is probably not competitive. My car makes 189 on that dyno, but it hasn't held it back it seems. Weighting these cars is as important as power.

2) The community is growing. Last year at the LRP race there were 3 cars. This year 12 entered. RA last year had 3 cars, this year was 12 cars. 16 at WGI this year. I know a ton of new cars showed up this year in the Northeast and know of 3 that are planning to when it works out for them soon. Come join us, the racing is fun!

3) if you know my story, you know I looked at buying a 2011Cup first (it was actually in your shop). I DE a 2004 GT3. I assumed I wanted to go fast. What I have learned is that I wanted to race and the speed wasn't important, the racing was. I find with these cars I have to be a better driver to make it go fast so enjoy that more than outright speed. I go to open lapping days and DE's in my GT3 for that where no one is going to challenge for the corner.

Feel free to PM if you want to chat more.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Steve,

Agree with all the above from Matt. Setup is important and the car rewards consistency and precision. One mistake and you're outta the game - if often takes a couple laps to claw back from an error.

I think the class now has some real momentum in the northeast.

Like Matt I have a 'faster' car for DEs but really appreciate the fun and skill development that comes from racing the SPB.

PM or email me if you have any questions.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:06 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

1. Right around 190 is solid much more will draw some attention.
2. Have no idea, but getting popular elsewhere.
3. If you're racing in a spec class ultimate speed is not important, close racing and a large field is...
Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 to all above.
SPB is huge down here in Texas the last club race at TWS had more than 30 cars. The reason is simple.
Cars are a Blast to drive, cycle costs are amazingly low, competition is very very good, and skills are on display requiring the driver to stay sharp. There is little HP to pull you out of mistakes.

Like several other posters I also have a high HP DE car in the form of a GT2.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

My concern is whether you will be allowed to register 2 cars for the same race weekend?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:40 PM
us944
Advanced

You can bring/register as many cars as there are run groups, or, you can run one car in different run groups. One in-class and the other out-of-class (exhibition). Fee for each registration.

SPB, just got one but family health issues have kept me off the track. I got it for the "spec", more or less level playing field. I am coming from GT5 where money motors win!
Old 06-21-2014, 09:00 AM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts

Considering jumping into this class also.

SPG, did you build new or buy pre built and upgrade? Would love to see pics and details on build.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:58 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by M_Weining
Considering jumping into this class also.

SPG, did you build new or buy pre built and upgrade? Would love to see pics and details on build.
did a lot of due diligence. great class. i always LOVED my spec miata, just loved it. have had a slew of faster, more expensive GT cars. ive done well in GT cars, a few track records and wins, but when i reflect back on my racing, the most fun i have has been in slower cars. more competition, more guys can afford the class, and monies are spent prudently but for true performance instead of $5k to replace a carbon front bumper cover. ive had a spec boxster before, actually two of them always fun.

i bought a car. lots of great quality shops around that can build. i just think for the money asked, wouldbe hard to replciate for anywhere near same price, and not lose 3 months. this was a new built, every last option, tweak, motor dyno'd perfect. didnt cost that much, about the same as 3, 4 wheelsets for that GT3R. i have 2 guys who work for ZSA who are impeccable, and they'l ltweak it up, clean the inside up even nicer, make it special. hoping to have it, and race it hard for a few years.

i dont see a ton of downside. great fun car, right price, good fields.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:57 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts

SPG: Thanks for reply, info and insight. I still need to convince myself I am ready to jump back in and do some due diligence. Prebuilt does seem like the way to go.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:22 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
did a lot of due diligence. great class. i always LOVED my spec miata, just loved it. have had a slew of faster, more expensive GT cars. ive done well in GT cars, a few track records and wins, but when i reflect back on my racing, the most fun i have has been in slower cars. more competition, more guys can afford the class, and monies are spent prudently but for true performance instead of $5k to replace a carbon front bumper cover. ive had a spec boxster before, actually two of them always fun.

i bought a car. lots of great quality shops around that can build. i just think for the money asked, wouldbe hard to replciate for anywhere near same price, and not lose 3 months. this was a new built, every last option, tweak, motor dyno'd perfect. didnt cost that much, about the same as 3, 4 wheelsets for that GT3R. i have 2 guys who work for ZSA who are impeccable, and they'l ltweak it up, clean the inside up even nicer, make it special. hoping to have it, and race it hard for a few years.

i dont see a ton of downside. great fun car, right price, good fields.
what are the differences from SPB to SM that you love about SPB, i am in a SRF and would love to race a SPB.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:53 AM
Blitz128
Instructor

+ to all the above... moved to SPB from SP996... great fun to drive SPB and lots of competition whether your in the front, mid, or rear of the pack here in Texas !!
Old 08-15-2014, 03:03 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

DE'd my nicely tuned 997 4S for a couple if years. When the race bug bit, the SPB was a no brainer.
surprisingly quick, great track cars, low cost to operate (relatively speaking) and a growing field with some great drivers. My first ever PCA race is this weekend at High Plains. I consider myself a good driver, but I know I'm going to be put to a serious test this weekend and will be really pleased if I can finish upper half (24 SPBs registered).
Regardless of finish, I know there will be tight/competitive racing that will do nothing but help me develop my racing skills.

I built my car. Wasn't cheap, but taught me a lot about cars (mechanically). Also built so I would know every square inch of the car. No surprises for me.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:44 PM
ianacole
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
DE'd my nicely tuned 997 4S for a couple if years. When the race bug bit, the SPB was a no brainer.
surprisingly quick, great track cars, low cost to operate (relatively speaking) and a growing field with some great drivers. My first ever PCA race is this weekend at High Plains. I consider myself a good driver, but I know I'm going to be put to a serious test this weekend and will be really pleased if I can finish upper half (24 SPBs registered).
Regardless of finish, I know there will be tight/competitive racing that will do nothing but help me develop my racing skills.
How'd you fare? I was out there watching today...looked like a blast. Hope to be out on the track with you all next year.

Ian

Quick Reply: a few SPB questions if you dont mind