Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Throttle cable adjustment?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 01:35 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Throttle cable adjustment?!

This has me scratching my head, how the hell do you adjust the slack out of the throttle cable on a 99 boxster? Way too much slack, it is properly installed, but has about 1/2" of slack in the cable, doesn't open the throttle plate all the way....

No adjustment on the throttle body end. The bellcrank underneath has none, is there anything on the pedal? Before I tear it out?
Old 03-01-2014, 10:50 AM
BigKraut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only place that I know of to adjust it is under the car on the driver's side where the cable runs through the firewall and into the engine compartment. There is a black plastic housing containing two cams but it is not necessary to open it to do the adjustment. There is a cylindrical collar on the cable running up the firewall. If you pull this collar upward the cams inside are supposed to self-adjust the throttle cable. I don't remember if you have to rotate the collar in order to lift it but try just pulling straight up.

Here is a link to a thread with pictures in the second post. The adjustment collar is just visible in the smaller inset picture to the left and above the purple arrow.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...djustment.html

Hope this helps. Maybe Macster will chime in with a better description of the process.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:11 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Thanks Brian, I saw that thread but still couldn't find an adjuster or lever or anything that looks like a way to do it. I've pulled up on the collar, turned etc to no avail. It would make sense that ti could self adjust but I've worked the pedal quite a bit and it still loose. Has about 3/4" of pedal travel before it picks up slack and doesn't open the throttle all the way...frustrating.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:38 PM
BigKraut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm stumped. I'm curious what led you to discover the issue. Did you change anything or have the throttle cable disconnected? Any chance the cables are misaligned on the bellcrank or at the throttle body? Lifting that adjustment collar should work unless the cables are bound up some place. Debris in the tube that they run through from the pedal to the bellcrank? Just throwing out ideas. I'll continue to ponder it but you might consider cross-posting your question in the Boxster and Boxster S (986) forum here on Rennlist.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:15 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Thanks Brian, I saw that thread but still couldn't find an adjuster or lever or anything that looks like a way to do it. I've pulled up on the collar, turned etc to no avail. It would make sense that ti could self adjust but I've worked the pedal quite a bit and it still loose. Has about 3/4" of pedal travel before it picks up slack and doesn't open the throttle all the way...frustrating.
Keep in mind that adjustment doesn't dial/thread in the typical way.... Turn, slide out/up, and turn to lock again in new position. Ask me how I know.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:35 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

BOOM!

Yep turn slide up to take out slack turn back to latch. I was way over complicating it.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:30 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 262 Posts

Boo-yah!

Quick Reply: Throttle cable adjustment?!