Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

New Spec Boxster Class?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 08:20 PM
Henderjb
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Spec Boxster Class?

What do you think the chances are there will be a new "Spec Boxster" class that incorporates newer Boxster than 1997-2000? I ask because I am interested in possibly getting a 97-00 spec Boxster set up for racing but then can imagine a new class being created that includes the 05 Boxster S I already own. Is there anyone on this forum who is "in the now" regarding a possible change to the rules and classifications? It seems that class has been around for a while and there are many newer Boxsters out there that should have a popular class to race in. Id hate to sell my Boxster then learn that a new class was on the horizon for 2025. Perhaps the better question is, "should I try to find places (PCA, SCCA, NASA, etc) to race my '05 Boxster S (with cage, harness, etc added) or should I just get an older race-ready spec Boxster that is capable of running in a already established very popular category? I hope this hasn't already been covered previously, if so, please let me know.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:31 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

There is a brand new for this year PCA class called ME-1 (Mid Engine -1) for base boxsters and caymans from 2000-2008 with the 2.7L motor. The allowed mods & parts nearly mirror the current SPB rules to keep costs down. Your Boxster S would presumably fall in to the "F" category or perhaps a other letter class but you would be racing nearly by yourself and the cost to convert your street car may surprise you unless your doing all of the work. You can buy a decent used SPB for mid to high twenty thousands, or have one built for considerably more. To clarify, SPB eligible cars are 97-99.

https://pcaclubracing.org/rules/me1-rules-draft/
The following users liked this post:
Henderjb (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 03:00 AM
trygve
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

My opinion and advice: Buy an already-built Spec Boxster and go racing where you will find a good sized field of them. (Or have one built if you prefer.)

Building up that '05 Boxster S is not going give you a car that fits competitively in to a class with a lot of cars. The ME-1 class might work for a newer base Boxster, but time will tell if it picks up, and the Boxster S does not fit.

If you really want a "newer" Porsche mid-engine car to race, the Cayman is going to be it (SPC or other), not the Boxster. But you can't beat SPB for racing in larger field of cars that are pretty evenly matched and have that mid-engine goodness!

The other thing about the worry of regretting selling the S by later finding out you could have built the right race car out of it -- even in that scenario, which I don't think will happen, it's unlikely you'd lose any money because you could just buy a car similar to the one you sold, for the same cost or less at a later time.

So yeah, go buy a Spec Boxster and start racing!
The following 2 users liked this post by trygve:
Henderjb (04-04-2024), tgsmith4845 (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 11:57 AM
Henderjb
AutoX

Hey guys, thanks for the info. It definitely helps. I will look into the ME 1 class. Interesting. Either way the “S” is looking like a no go. Pre-owned SPB is value play for sure. I have well regarded shop, Provost Motors, that has been very helpful the last couple years and will see what might be available. Perhaps a car trailer combo can be unearthed. I’ve been told getting a SCCA competition license is a good place to start down this path but for PCA club racing how does one get certified to actually get into an SPB event? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:01 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Henderjb
Hey guys, thanks for the info. It definitely helps. I will look into the ME 1 class. Interesting. Either way the “S” is looking like a no go. Pre-owned SPB is value play for sure. I have well regarded shop, Provost Motors, that has been very helpful the last couple years and will see what might be available. Perhaps a car trailer combo can be unearthed. I’ve been told getting a SCCA competition license is a good place to start down this path but for PCA club racing how does one get certified to actually get into an SPB event? Thanks.
In your PCA region you attend DE's with speak to the chief instructor and tell them your intentions/goal of PCA Club Racing, ideally they'll connect you with one of their instructors who club races who can help guide you through it, all of us are eager for new competitors so they should be happy to help, same with your shop. I believe in the 24 months prior to your racing application you need to have at least 12 documented track days with PCA and when the time comes your chief instructor will write you a referral they'll send to PCA Club Racing. Right now as of last month's VIR race and currently registered for Lime Rock there are 3 new ME-1 cars that are active, SPB fields run from 10-30 on the east coast in general. You'll always have someone to race in SPB.

Formal instructions for licensing from PCA:
https://pcaclubracing.org/licensing/

Last edited by BFT3.2; 04-04-2024 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:06 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 968 Likes on 647 Posts

Buy a car already built. Always WAY less expensive than trying to build on your own.
ME-1 class (IMO) is not likely to take off ever.

I got my PCA license through the HPDE program, after doing 6-7 years of HPDE in various Porsches. There are pros/cons to that route. Happy to chat about it if you want, don't want to hijack this thread with that convo.
tgsmith4845 (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 09:43 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

If you're already a customer of Provost, just do what Max says. He's as knowledgeable as anyone out there when it comes to SPB's and racing in general.
The following 5 users liked this post by PGas32:
Carrera51 (04-12-2024), dan212 (04-11-2024), Henderjb (04-09-2024), KevinA (04-09-2024), ldamelio (04-14-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 10:01 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
just do what Max says.
Pretty much sums it up!!
The following 2 users liked this post by aualexa2:
Henderjb (04-09-2024), KevinA (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 09:53 PM
Henderjb
AutoX

OK, Provost it is, Max is great. How about SCCA, should I be looking into that too? Appears to be more event opportunities with that org. Could use a spec boxster for that as well I imagine. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:53 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

OK, Provost it is, Max is great. How about SCCA, should I be looking into that too? Appears to be more event opportunities with that org. Could use a spec boxster for that as well I imagine. Thanks for the info.
I run my SPB occasionally in SCCA T3. Depending upon who else shows up I can be competitive or not-competitive... You will want an extra set of wheels mounted with Hoos to run up front in T3.
The Wash DC region also runs bracket races, which can be fun and offer more track time. I don't know if your local group offers these, too.
Henderjb (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 11:10 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

If you want to race with PCA, you've got Lime Rock, WGI, NJMP, and Summit all on the schedule. That's a pretty solid lineup without having to do much travelling from NJ, and the cadence works out pretty nicely as well. If you're willing to haul a little more, you've got VIR, Mid-O, CMP, Road Atlanta, etc etc. Point being, when I was racing SPB I never felt the need to look outside of PCA for events, and I think you'll find that's generally the case.
Henderjb (04-18-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 11:34 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

SPB slots in pretty well with NASA ST5. I'm in the process of adding a quick change splitter and wing to make the car even better in ST5. Should only take me about 30 minutes to swap between SPB and ST5.
Henderjb (04-18-2024)

Quick Reply: New Spec Boxster Class?