Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Bvd baffle oil pan vs accusump

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 02:23 AM
coss1600
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Bvd baffle oil pan vs accusump

I currently have an accusump on my Boxster. Can I ditch it for the bvd oil pan and baffle?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2024, 02:55 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 968 Likes on 647 Posts

Chris Cervelli, who built my car and several others, has mountains of Motec data on the 2.5L Boxsters he ran, mostly in endurance racing. It showed the Accusump did not help and a baffled deep oil pan with the stock paper filter was at least equally effective in controlling oil pressure drops, while being much more simple to deal with. He related to me that during oil starvation events he observed that the Accusump would actually push air that the pickup had collected ahead of it's oil bolus, which on the Boxster engine, goes straight to the main bearings, making the accusump actually increasing risk, not decreasing it.

Now many people love the Accusump and use them on these cars. I went with what Chris told me b/c he showed actual real world data on these cars specifically, not data extrapolated from different cars/engines.

In the 3+ years I have been racing my SPB when I look at my Motec oil pressure data, running a deep sump, baffle, and paper stock oil filter, I see no significant drops in oil pressure ever.

Chris actually developed a dry sump setup for these cars, but no longer makes it.

Last edited by Nickshu; 03-09-2024 at 02:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nickshu:
coss1600 (03-09-2024), Rob in VA (03-09-2024), tgsmith4845 (03-10-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 12:15 PM
Jared Rodeheaver
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I also removed the accusump. Both Provost and PMR recommend running without them as the benefit is minimal to none. I know one that runs successfully but only in a DE environment...
Old 03-11-2024, 01:57 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I removed mine that was in the car when I bought it.
I get pressure drops when trail braking into right hand turns. I disabled the Accusump and saw no change, so if the Accusump was doing anything, it wasn't evident on the pressure trace.
Old 07-10-2024, 12:46 PM
markpolunin
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Chris Cervelli, who built my car and several others, has mountains of Motec data on the 2.5L Boxsters he ran, mostly in endurance racing. It showed the Accusump did not help and a baffled deep oil pan with the stock paper filter was at least equally effective in controlling oil pressure drops, while being much more simple to deal with. He related to me that during oil starvation events he observed that the Accusump would actually push air that the pickup had collected ahead of it's oil bolus, which on the Boxster engine, goes straight to the main bearings, making the accusump actually increasing risk, not decreasing it.

Now many people love the Accusump and use them on these cars. I went with what Chris told me b/c he showed actual real world data on these cars specifically, not data extrapolated from different cars/engines.

In the 3+ years I have been racing my SPB when I look at my Motec oil pressure data, running a deep sump, baffle, and paper stock oil filter, I see no significant drops in oil pressure ever.

Chris actually developed a dry sump setup for these cars, but no longer makes it.
What are the spec of the oil that you run/ran? I have a theory the grade of oil matters more than some might think.
Old 07-10-2024, 01:04 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

@Nickshu Would you mind sharing which oil plan and baffle you are running?

And is it correct to assume bvd = FVD Brombacher?
Old 07-11-2024, 02:46 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
@Nickshu Would you mind sharing which oil plan and baffle you are running?

And is it correct to assume bvd = FVD Brombacher?
Bilt Racing / LNE

https://lnengineering.com/2qt-deep-s...51-baffle.html
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (07-12-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 02:47 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by markpolunin
What are the spec of the oil that you run/ran? I have a theory the grade of oil matters more than some might think.
Liqui-Moly 10w-60

Quick Reply: Bvd baffle oil pan vs accusump