Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Anti bump steer, lift rack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 06:13 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Anti bump steer, lift rack?

Just wondering why all the solutions for dealing with bump steer on the 986/ 996 involve lowering the ball joints.
On the 944 it is common to lift the rack to reduce bump steer.

I had a look today, and as far as I can tell there is space above the rack. Is something else blocking us from simply adding spacers under the rack?

Last edited by bebbetufs; 07-13-2023 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:36 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

Assuming you are talking about a 986 Boxster....Last time I had my front subframe apart I remember looking at this and ended up leaving it stock. If I recall correctly using a spacer was an issue b/c the points on the subframe mounts for the steering rack are sleeved and the sleeves stick up a bit to contain shear forces on the rack. Correspondingly the holes in the rack are wider than the bolt to allow the sleeve to stick up into the area (again for containing shear forces). I could not find a spacer that would work short of having one custom made at a machine shop. It seemed like if you cut off the sleeve then you would have the hole much bigger than the bolt and then it could slide around and/or shear off the bolt. Maybe someone has a solution for this and I'm sure you could have something custom made to work but I elected not to go down that road.

Last edited by Nickshu; 07-12-2023 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:17 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the explanations.
I happen to have access to a lathe and could possibly fabricate something.
Did you check to see if the rack would hit the tank? That's one thing I was unable top check.

It seems Porsche found reasons not to raise the rack, and chose a more costly way to address the bump steer on the strengthened parts. The 996GT3RS parts have lower ball joints on the upright, and the subframe has been machined differently to raise the pickup points. Perhaps the tie rods will interfere with the ARB.

Quick Reply: Anti bump steer, lift rack?