Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

What's the difference between different 986 ECU flashes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 06:40 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 968 Likes on 647 Posts
Default What's the difference between different 986 ECU flashes?

SPB rules say we can run any country's OEM ECU flash. Euro, USA, other. What is the difference between the Euro vs the USA flash? According to my Durametric my car has "US1" ECU software on it. 1997 chassis.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-03-2022, 09:25 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

I believe the Euro flash does not give you a CEL when the ECU cant find the SAI pump. There may be other differences too but no performance difference as far as I know
Old 12-04-2022, 10:43 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 968 Likes on 647 Posts

It's interesting my car has no SAI but never shows a CEL for it being missing w/ the USA tune. Maybe that's a 1997-only thing as I have learned there are many 1997-only things on Boxsters.

I read elsewhere that the Euro/ROW tune only measures cam timing from one bank, while the USA tune measures it from both banks. Not sure if that is accurate info or not.

Anyhow I am chasing what I think may be a lean running issue under certain conditions that causes the engine to get overly hot, was wondering if it could be related to ignition timing, which could be tune-specific. Doesn't sound like it though.

Last edited by Nickshu; 12-04-2022 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:39 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
It's interesting my car has no SAI but never shows a CEL for it being missing w/ the USA tune. Maybe that's a 1997-only thing as I have learned there are many 1997-only things on Boxsters.

I read elsewhere that the Euro/ROW tune only measures cam timing from one bank, while the USA tune measures it from both banks. Not sure if that is accurate info or not.

Anyhow I am chasing what I think may be a lean running issue under certain conditions that causes the engine to get overly hot, was wondering if it could be related to ignition timing, which could be tune-specific. Doesn't sound like it though.
I remember there being a difference in the 97 wiring harness and DME connector related to the fuel pump. Probably not related -- but good to know.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (12-05-2022)

Quick Reply: What's the difference between different 986 ECU flashes?