Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Sound issues / What exhaust system do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 12:02 PM
jc22
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sound issues / What exhaust system do you use?

I was at Roebling Road this weekend and clocked in as high as 106 dB on the sound meter. The meter is 100 feet off-track driver's left 3/4 of the way down the front straight and I'm not even at max rpm as I shift to 5th just past start/finish. Fortunately, nobody said anything to me because I didn't have much of a backup plan but the car is just too loud. Unnecessarily, annoyingly loud. Right now I have straight pipes that crossover right at the tip.

So what exhaust system is everybody using? I've heard good and bad on the Fabspeed systems but it's hard to tell how loud the different options actually are. I've seen an expensive Soul system and it looks like Patrick Motorsports sells one as well. I don't really want to hack my system up but I'm considering doing just that by adding some resonators.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:51 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

A friend recently went to a Fabspeed system to make noise restrictions. His review was positive. Personally I find how the updated Fabspeed system connects to the chassis to be really wonky. Which is too bad b/c their old system mounted to the end of the transmission which is how it should be.
If I bought one I would find a fabricator to modify the mount so it could mount up the way their original SPB system did, they no longer make that one.
Old 02-28-2022, 02:40 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 134 Posts

I’ve had the Patrick Motorsports exhaust on both of my SPBs. Like it a lot, 102 db.

https://patrickmotorsports.com/products/exh986bsrms

The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (02-28-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 11:54 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I built my own for dirt cheap, less than $150 using the following items from Summit:

JEX-ATT12S-3 - Muffler, Turbo Tube, 2 in. Inlet/Outlet, Steel, Aluminized, 18 in. Length, Each

WLK-47972 - Exhaust Tubing, Straight, 2.000 in. Diameter, 7.5 ft. Length, 15-Gauge, Steel, Aluminized, Each

I don't know the exact dB, but it's not loud compared to most SPBs on track.

The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (03-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Sound issues / What exhaust system do you use?