Front Wheel Bearing Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 12:53 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Front Wheel Bearing Issues

Hi Guys,

We have a Boxster S we run in a series in Canada (Area 27) that we are continually having to replace front wheel bearings, we have use factory as well as aftermarket bearings with the same result.. Is anyone else having issues with front bearings?

The series runs a spec Continental street tire (340 Wear rating) so the forces are nowhere near as high as you would get with a sticky tire.

Any help, guidance is appreciated.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:06 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

We ran a SPB in endurance series for quite a few years. One thing we did was replace the grease in the new bearings before install. Krytox is $$, but helped for sure. Replaced the bearings after 4K miles, just part of the service schedule. You should do better than we did on the rears, as the S uses bigger rear bearings. Another thing we did was have a second set of wheel carriers built and ready to go. makes the swap much easier if you lose a bearing over a race weekend.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:08 PM
trophy
Race Car

@Bull_D Thanks for the quick reply.. We are not even making a season on a set of front bearings.

How difficult is it to replace the grease? Do the seals go in and out relatively easily?
Old 10-02-2021, 01:22 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
@Bull_D Thanks for the quick reply.. We are not even making a season on a set of front bearings.

How difficult is it to replace the grease? Do the seals go in and out relatively easily?
I didn't find it too difficult. a good set of picks is helpful. on the *** bearings, there wasn't a ton of grease, and it looked like pretty wimpy. (is that grease bullying?) Krytox is the spendy, but worth it. As mentioned, about 4k miles is the outer limit of the service interval. On our local track, front left was the first to go. It isn't really a cost problem, more the labor involved. That is where having two sets of wheel carriers helps. We just had a full set rebuilt and ready to go, then swap them in and rebuild the others back at the shop. much easier to do, than doing it on car.... I was lucky enough to have access to a nice media cabinet, so I always blasted the carriers prior to rebuild, so it was always like working with new parts. Couple of other hacks...... Buy a hotplate and set the carrier face down on it with the temp on high, have the bearings in the freezer overnight. Makes the bearings almost drop in. I would also put a VERY light coating of no seize inside the carrier where the bearings go. reduces the spalling you get when you pull the bearings next time.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:30 PM
trophy
Race Car

That's awesome, the cost really isn't an issue it's the time, I really like the idea of the second set of uprights.

We always freeze the bearings and use a little anti-seize, this and a press makes light work of the install. The hotplate is a great idea!!

I think Grease shaming in this case is appropriate... whimpy it is
Old 10-02-2021, 06:57 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,006 Likes on 672 Posts

I believe most repack stock new bearings with Redline CV-2 grease. Replace all 4 every winter offseason.

Here is a video.
The following users liked this post:
tgsmith4845 (10-04-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 10:49 AM
CTS
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 87 Posts

I have made a tool that makes greasing the bearings a 5 minute job. I found a 2000 mile service life was realistic with stock grease. They go much farther with Krytox. I did not test CV2.

Chris
Old 10-03-2021, 09:49 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

I used to go through a couple every season. Since I started repacking with Redline it's one every 2 years or more.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:22 AM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by CTS
I have made a tool that makes greasing the bearings a 5 minute job. I found a 2000 mile service life was realistic with stock grease. They go much farther with Krytox. I did not test CV2.

Chris
hey Chris,

Whar kind of tool did you make? I preemptively replace all 4 bearings in the off season, and am interested in your tool to make the job easier.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 10-05-2021, 10:18 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
hey Chris,

Whar kind of tool did you make? I preemptively replace all 4 bearings in the off season, and am interested in your tool to make the job easier.

Thanks,
Tim
Honestly, its a non issue. First one might take a few minutes to get apart but after u figure out how it comes apart, it takes a 90 degree pick and 90 sec to disassemble.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:01 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Honestly, its a non issue. First one might take a few minutes to get apart but after u figure out how it comes apart, it takes a 90 degree pick and 90 sec to disassemble.
+1 The seal is pretty robust. Don't be afraid to apply a little pressure. What will surprise you is how little grease is in there.

Last edited by sbelles; 10-05-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:10 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,006 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Originally Posted by sbelles
+1 The seal is pretty robust. Don't be afraid to apply a little pressure. What will surprise you is how little grease is in there.
I believe Chris' tool is designed to re-grease the bearings ON the car. Not on the benchtop. As in you could re-grease them 1-2x per season to try and extend bearing life. Right Chris?

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Bearing Issues