Best location for Trans Cooler heat exchanger

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 10:36 AM
Maytag
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best location for Trans Cooler heat exchanger

Hey all!
My new-to-me Spec Boxster has a trans-cooler installed (thank you, Dean). However I'm not sure if the current location of the heat exchanger is ideal, as it is mounted to the underside of the trunk floor. I'm sure that location was selected because it it can see the fresh air on the other side of the mesh grill in the bumper-center cutout, but I'm not sure it's close enough to the opening to really see any benefit. In the meantime, the exhaust is right below it, and I'm afraid the heat coming from that might be undoing any cooling effect.

Where do y'all typically mount your heat exchangers for your trans coolers?

Old 02-21-2021, 02:04 PM
Maytag
Track Day

I'm kinda surprised there aren't any opinions on this? I mean, I have an opinion about EVERYTHING!! hahaha
Old 02-21-2021, 02:12 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Well, I don't have a trans cooler, but if I had one, it would not be mounted directly above a heat source.
The following users liked this post:
Maytag (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 06:31 PM
Maytag
Track Day

Originally Posted by Lemming
Well, I don't have a trans cooler, but if I had one, it would not be mounted directly above a heat source.
Well I guess that's fair. ;-)
Old 02-21-2021, 10:15 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

My car has a coolant to oil transmission cooler and it's mounted in the engine bay. Not sure which is better...coolant loop or air cooled radiator style cooler.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:45 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
My car has a coolant to oil transmission cooler and it's mounted in the engine bay. Not sure which is better...coolant loop or air cooled radiator style cooler.
Coolant loop is more effective.
Nickshu (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 10:41 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull_D
Coolant loop is more effective.
I'm sure CTS who built our cars has the data to back that up. He seems to have data for every build decision, which is awesome.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:31 PM
martt1ski
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

@Maytag Drive it. Use one of those temp strips (Tatum has I believe or the website named for the large South American River) to see where you get, temp-wise. On previous builds, I was told they found that temps weren't excessive so they bagged the cooler. Could be that for relatively short sprint races/sessions not an issue - for Enduro may be a different story.
Maytag (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 03:09 PM
Maytag
Track Day

Originally Posted by martt1ski
@Maytag Drive it. Use one of those temp strips (Tatum has I believe or the website named for the large South American River) to see where you get, temp-wise. On previous builds, I was told they found that temps weren't excessive so they bagged the cooler. Could be that for relatively short sprint races/sessions not an issue - for Enduro may be a different story.
yeah, I'm already down the road, haha.
I'm machining an adapter today to put a temp-sender in, and adding a gauge. (I'm already adding an actual VDO Oil Press & an Oil Temp gauge, as well as an indicator light for when the accusump is "open").
In the meantime, I'm going to move the cooler to the left-corner of that area, so it's not directly above the exhaust, but still has sight of the "window" in the rear bumper.
Enduros are going to be the biggest part of my weight-loss plan for the foreseeable future.

I'm only days away from having this thing ready to go. New seat, harness, fluids, once-over on all the nuts-n-bolts, boots, rubber-goods, brakes, etc etc etc. I know: I cheated. hahaha.
martt1ski (02-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Best location for Trans Cooler heat exchanger