Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Throttle and Brake sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 07:10 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Throttle and Brake sensors?

I would like to add sensors for throttle position and brake pressure to my Spec Boxster. Do y'all have any recommendations for sensors (and related hardware) and also for where to mount them? I'm guessing a pressure sensor tee'd into the brake line somewhere for the brakes, and a rotational or linear sensor tied to either the factory TPS or the throttle cable, but need suggestions on what to get and the best place(s) to mount them.

I have a VBox HD2, and my vendor is ordering the micro input module needed to make allow the VBox to read the sensor values.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2021, 08:39 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

You can get voltage from the TPS and send directly to the micro input module of the VBox. For the brake pressure, I ordered an Autometer 2240 and plumbed it in using the ATLspeedworks setup to the Vbox.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:18 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
You can get voltage from the TPS and send directly to the micro input module of the VBox. For the brake pressure, I ordered an Autometer 2240 and plumbed it in using the ATLspeedworks setup to the Vbox.
I too have the VBox HD2. I did this for the throttle - pulled the signal neat the ECU. I did not want to do anything too complex for the brake pressure so I created a math channel using the brake light and long G to provide an estimation, which is pretty accurate. By using the brake light as an input, it avoids a false brake indication when you simply lift from the throttle.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:31 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

We make a brake pressure adapter that runs off the master cylinder. And we pull throttle position from the throttle body.
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 02-13-2021, 10:54 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 673 Posts

Mine has Motec C127. The brake pressure sensor is on the front brake channel, Tee'd between the master cylinder and ABS using stainless steel brake lines.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,349 Likes on 1,902 Posts

All of that works with the Micro Input Module. Just measure the voltage sweeps to do the scaling and offset and build a scene for it.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Throttle and Brake sensors?