Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

SPB battery recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 10:44 AM
Charles Kline
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
seems to me, htats a lot of amps. and while the battery probably can take it, its drawing a lot of juice and probably starts to impact power a smidge. dont most SPBs have to add some weight to meet minimums. i think my car has 30,40lbs of ballast in it? it would be great if chillout had a battery pack option for their thing since, atleast for spbs, it might be a useful alternative to lead plates.
one of my kids had a leg injury and they prescribed andi bought a cooling system called "Game ready" google it. pretty nice system, same concept as the rest. they have a chest type thing for cooling and while designed for motorspors, the concepts are all about the same. they have a battery pack. id be concerned with it rattling itself apart having not been built for motorsports use. but i guess the point is, a battery pack option might be great. or a 15lb braille battery and an inverter...then, no draw from main battery.
So far with the 400+ systems that have been installed and running in cars since last year this has not been a problem. We did a lot of preliminary testing that went into the development of our systems and that was when amp draw was 28 amps with our Version 1. The system now operates around 18-20 Amps which is significantly less. Headlights use 30-40 amps, just to put in perspective.

cooling a race car driver in a 140-150 degree car with a 150 watt thermal load take a lot of engineering and power then most realize. Our system is a 24 volt based system with a power converter to step up the voltage from 12 volts to 24 volts in order to get the type of performance race teams need to work in 24 hour races. Designing our cooling system to last in a race car environment took 1000s of hours of engineering and development, trial and error. There is nothing out there that can cool and last like Chillout.
As as an external battery option, we have one. It’s a 24 volt solution since the system is 24 volts and this is the most efficient way to make last the longest. It’s under $300 and comes with a fast charger. Lasts about 3 hours at max amp draw.

the only people concerned. About using a battery pack so far have been spec Miata where they are adding weight anyway and don’t want to lose the 1/8th of a horsepower since weight isn’t an issue anyhow. You may as well have the redundancy, just like having extra fuel pumps etc if you need to meet weight minimums.

this system saves over 20 lbs vs a ice based system. Less weight, no sloshing water/ice effecting cornering, braking and acceleration. No black flags for leaky coolers.

Quick Reply: SPB battery recommendations?