Notices
Spec Boxsters For info sharing on this exciting new class

Removed parts for SPB build - junk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 08:14 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Removed parts for SPB build - junk?

I’ve got a small collection of stock parts removed from my Boxster because of the build. At this point I’m a bit tempted to junk them.

What’s worth keeping, selling, or offering? I kept a few things for spares and junked a lot of it already. I have a handful of nice condition interior bits that I didn’t throw away, but frankly I don’t want to waste time listing each on eBay and driving to the post office half a dozen times and what not just to pick up a few $50 payments so perhaps they’re effectively junk as well. I also have the spare tire assembly, the convertible top, and the top motors/transmissions, but aside from the little motors they’re rather large so I’m sure shipping costs degrade the value...

It seems at this point the 986 is dirt cheap so a lot of cars go to the scrapyard and parts aren’t worth much of anything. Did you guys just chuck everything, did/can you conveniently get a little cash towards tires for it somewhere to where it’s worth the time to drop it off, or do enough folks want parts that it’s worthwhile to make a local ad along the lines of “come take it before I get rid of it?” This is as much a desire to use/recycle good parts as anything.

And perhaps I should think a bit and see if a younger family member or friend/neighbor would like to take the parts and sell them on eBay to raise a few bucks for him/herself. It could be good money to a teenager...
Old 01-04-2019, 09:19 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 68 Posts

Im going through the exact dilemma myself right now, hate to chuck stuff but looking on eBay so much of it is worth peanuts. I think my near new glass window soft top and the plastic mesh headrest/rollbar wind blockers are probably the two most valuable things, lol. But shipping that top, ugh..
Old 01-04-2019, 10:10 PM
trygve
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

The cars are so much older now, that it's probably not worth comparing, but when I gutted my (original owner) '98 Boxster into SPB form in 2011-2012, I tried to sell everything I could -- the larger pieces locally only -- and gathered $4580 in total. However, as you can see, some of the priciest items were add-ons that were not part of the stock parts. The items sold for $100 or more were:
- factory hard top with glass window: $1000
- leather seats: $600
- Brey-Krause roll bar extension: $400
- Porsche Roof Transport System with bike racks: $400
- complete interior floor tub carpet set: $380
- convertible top and frame: $350
- leather interior door panels & hardware: $200
- Sto' Away hard top hoist: $200
- lexan rollbar windscreen: $150
- TRG camber plates: $150
- A/C compressor & hoses: $100
- there were 14 other sub-$100 bits and pieces sold

I think it would be a lot harder to sell much of that stuff today.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:47 AM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Try your luck over at 986forum.com, as most there have street cars and might be looking to replace worn out interior pieces or maybe even a convertible top. I was able to recoup maybe $2k, gave my very nice top to my shop to install on another customer’s car, and threw much of the rest out.

The spare kit is worth something, steering wheel and shift **** (hey actually I need one of those...) might be worth something...I just sold my seats for $150 and a local guy bought the door cards for maybe $100. The rest of the interior trim got tossed.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:13 PM
Pcatnt
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am interested in your Brey-Krause roll bar extension:
Old 01-10-2019, 10:13 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcatnt
I am interested in your Brey-Krause roll bar extension:
I don't have one, and I'm not sure any of the posters presently have one. trygve says in the post that his was sold several years ago.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:32 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 278 Likes on 134 Posts

most valuable things are

soft-top motor assembly ~$200
center console ~$80-150 depending on condition
HVAC screen (if not pixilated) ~$175
spare tire set with tool roll and jack ~$180-200
windblockers (all 3) $250
upper or lower storage bin from center console fetch $40 easily since Porsche raised the price last year.

thats all the low hanging fruit, the below items are impossible to sell at a profit

if you have seats and they're junk, throw the seats out and sell the rails
throw out the carpet, its a pain to ship
all the other plastic interior parts are worthless unless they're mint (door entry sills, heater box etc)
we can't give away factory roll bars
front wheels, there is 0 market for them. I had a brand new set and couldn't get $200 for them. We keep several around to move junk cars, they fit on the rear
door panels are a pain to sell unless they're perfect or they're the basic ones without speakers
A/C Lines
soft top with mechanism, you would think it would be worth something but again we haven't had luck selling any
airbags, set them off on July 4!

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook

Quick Reply: Removed parts for SPB build - junk?