Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my car totaled? First ever accident in my life.

Search this Thread

Old Today | 04:18 PM
JamesSundy
6th Gear

Unhappy Is my car totaled? First ever accident in my life.

First time poster. Hey ya'll.

My Porsche 911 - 2015 -991.1 GTS (33k miles). Hit a sidewall then ended up on the other side in the dirt. I have a few questions. Do ya'll think its totaled? If it's not which I don't think it is, will it drive the same?

Lastly. How do I go about to diminished value claims? I have USAA GAP/Umbrella insurance so I am fully covered. I never planned on selling this car regardless but I know for sure the value is going to plummet. I am wondering does anyone have experience with the diminished value claim route with your insurance? That is all. Hope everyone is having a nice day.

Only damage is to the wheels that are slanted and a small scuff at the bottom left lip. Every other part of the car is just fine.

Other angle.
Old Today | 04:21 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That rear angle... yes.

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old Today | 04:27 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Maybe. Looks like just suspension arms are broken.

Judging by these photos, id say no. Doesn't seem to be much, if any, body damage. Could just be a broken control arm or two. Maybe less than 1k to fix. (this is an assumption)

This could change if it's thrown up on a lift and measured. Frame could be tweaked (unlikely)

Last edited by RwdConnor; Today at 04:29 PM.
Old Today | 04:31 PM
JamesSundy
6th Gear

HEY! nice 911 btw.

Okay cool. I will say after it crashed when i would turn it on it stayed on but made some FUNKY noises and robot clanking sounds lol. even without moving the wheel.
Old Today | 04:32 PM
JamesSundy
6th Gear

honestly i rather it be totaled. why does the rear angle give off its totaled?
Old Today | 04:55 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Wheels bent like that means internal damage you can't see. I'd say totaled.
The following users liked this post:
JamesSundy (Today)
Old Today | 04:56 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JamesSundy
honestly i rather it be totaled. why does the rear angle give off its totaled?
Thanks!

Because, like I mentioned, a few control arms being broken could make it look like a stance car ;')

Ok well since you're chipper about it, Can I PLEASE have the front bumper (say it fell off)
JamesSundy (Today)
Old Today | 04:56 PM
JamesSundy
6th Gear

thanks for the response. will post whenever my insurance lets me know.
Old Today | 04:59 PM
JamesSundy
6th Gear

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
Thanks!

Because, like I mentioned, a few control arms being broken could make it look like a stance car ;')

Ok well since you're chipper about it, Can I PLEASE have the front bumper (say it fell off)
lmao if i didnt have full insurance coverage I would be salty. so i am chipper rn. and its just a car at the end of the day. tho i love my porschey porsche.

i plan on going the salvage title route so MAYBE you can have it lol.
Old Today | 05:05 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JamesSundy
lmao if i didnt have full insurance coverage I would be salty. so i am chipper rn. and its just a car at the end of the day. tho i love my porschey porsche.

i plan on going the salvage title route so MAYBE you can have it lol.
True, Just a car. But a GTS at that!

PLEASE let me know
Old Today | 06:09 PM
Nashvegas
Pro

Sorry to hear about your damaged GTS !

Interesting accident. Questions;

1) No airbag deployment?
2) So you slid how.... into what? Or you ran over a curb on the right side of the car straight on ? I'm trying to figure out how the wheels got like that but no body damage to front lip or side of car. (lucky!)

Two ways this could go. The suspension arms could be broken if you're lucky, and then you just replace that and the minor body damage around it. Or, if unlucky, the areas on the frame of the car where the suspension arms mount to the car are damaged or the metal ripped - then you're easily totaled and/or it is a much more costly repair. A GTS like that is probably worth around 90-110K so .. you've got some room before it's totaled.

(BTW, a couple years ago, Matt Armstrong in the UK did a video on a totaled 992 GT3 he restored ... which had the front lower suspension arms ripped out of the body -- I watched hours of his videos on the repair and replacing parts of the frame and tub. Pretty cool but complicated to say the least and of course the car he bought was totaled before he bought it.
Old Today | 06:39 PM
VII7
Racer

Looks totalled but with the high value and no airbags still chance, you don't get diminished value when you are at fault.
Old Today | 06:40 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Totaled is going to be a question for your insurance, but I'd say the chances are quite high.

If that was stock suspension and it's now like that, you're looking at between $2k and $30k+ of damages.

You won't get an accurate answer here, though.

For example, sorry rwdconnor I'm gonna pick on you here a little --
Originally Posted by RwdConnor
Could just be a broken control arm or two. Maybe less than 1k to fix. (this is an assumption)
There is literally zero chance of this pricepoint, and an extraordinarily low chance of it being LCAs and nothing else.

The front LCA is 2 hours and $450-550 list price based on SPASM or not. The rear LCA is 2 hours and $250 list price. At $160/hr, which is low, that's over $1300 before the other damages we can safely assume are there, like the axle, transmission, underbody, shocks, wheels, etc..

Oh, and tack on an alignment at your favorite price.
cbredesen (Today)
Old Today | 06:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I would be shocked if that was declared a total loss by your insurance company.
Old Today | 06:53 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Sorry about the accident. Nobody here can give you the answer to your question just by looking at a few pictures. There is no way to know until it is on a lift and the shop starts tearing into it to see the extent of the damage and the insurance adjuster gets involved. You can only wait and see. Like stated above, if it's your fault then there is no diminished value. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Is my car totaled? First ever accident in my life.