Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paid for Bose Stereo, got the Base system. Think Porsche scammed me.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2024 | 11:45 PM
x-ray
Advanced

Default Paid for Bose Stereo, got the Base system. Think Porsche scammed me.

Long story short. I participated in the recent group buy with SCR distribution for replacement speakers for my 992 Targa with Bose audio. After several months, I received my kit including 2 new Feelart tweeters, 2 new FeelArt midranges with custom mounting bracket and plug and play wiring harness, and 2 new Feelart 8” door woofers with mounting brackets and wiring harness and some sound deadening material.

I have this week off so I decided to start the installation today. I started by replacing the tweeters which went fine . After the tweezers, I started on the passenger side door. I removed the door panel, removed the midrange driver and the 8 inch woofer. I applied the sound deadening material to the door and the door panel without any issue. I reinstalled the new Midrange and woofer and then reassembled the door. Before starting on the driver side door, I decided to test the system, just to make sure there wasn’t any connection issue. I used the balance and fader to switch all of the signal to the left front. When I did that, I had tweeter and midrange but no woofer. I disassemble the door and checked all the connections. No issues there. I then swapped the woofer that was in the door for the other feel art woofer. That did not fix the problem. Now I was starting to sweat. I actually removed the fuel art woofer and put the OEM woofer back into the door. When I tested the OEM woofer, I still had no base in the door.

At this point, I was really concerned. I decided to message Peter from SCR distribution and he replied very quickly. I sent him pictures of the installation and told him what was going on. I even sent him pictures of the OEM mid range and woofer. Peter asked me if I had the Boese system or the base system because all of the drivers that I sent in pictures of were the ASK drivers that come in the base system. The Bose system should have drivers labeled with Bose on the back. He even sent me pictures ofOEM ASK and Bose drivers. The issue as he saw it was Porsche put the ASK speakers and presumeably the ASK amplifier in my car even though I have Bose on my speaker grill and Bose in my infotainment AND I paid Porsche $1600 for the Bose upgrade. The Bose woofers are a different impedance (2 ohm) than the ASK woofers (4 ohm) and the ASK amp won’t like the lower 2.5 ohm load of the Feelart speaker causing the amp to shut down and protect itself.

He recommended I replace the OEM midrange and the woofers in the door, put the door panel back on and let the car go to sleep to reset itself. I did all that and after a 30 min nap, the system worked as it should. I had bass in the passenger door! This made Peter feel he was right and I actually had the ASK system but it was labeled as Bose. He figured Porsche was again having a parts shortage like during COVID and instead of waiting or cutting off the ability to order the Bose system, they just shoehorned the ASK system into my car and no one would be the wiser! Who would take the drivers out of their car and look? ME!

I called my dealer and told them what was going on. They were very surprised. They decided to start by looking up a the part numbers of the system that SHOULD be in my car so we can compare to the pictures of the speakers that are ACTUALLY in my car. I wonder how many other cars this has happened to because I don’t think this was a one off mistake.

I will update this threat when my dealer gets back to me.

X

My Door Woofer Labeled ASK

What a real Bose midrange looks like

My little Bose speaker grill emblem showing I paid for the Bose system.

The Bose in the infotainment

What a Bose Woofer looks like

Midrange labeled ASK
The following users liked this post:
MAXFPS (10-08-2024)

Popular Reply

10-08-2024, 12:59 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Weird how they don’t accidentally install Burm when you pay for Bose, even if it is a parts shortage issue.

Enjoy your future $500 voucher to use towards a $150 hoodie.
Old 10-07-2024 | 11:58 PM
Jrezaf
Instructor

Holy can of worms, Batman. Please keep us posted as to how this goes. I smell class action lawsuits if what you say is true.
Old 10-08-2024 | 12:14 AM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

wow.... maybe a dumb question but did you order your car brand new or buy it used? Was it a dealer demo or anything?
Old 10-08-2024 | 12:18 AM
renn.tp
Racer

Wow. Although not surprising given the build issues I’ve been seeing on here recently…
Old 10-08-2024 | 01:20 AM
RG88
Racer

This definitely doesn't sound right.
The following 5 users liked this post by RG88:
Butzi (10-08-2024), Guzzgreg (10-08-2024), Icegrill (10-08-2024), mashoutposse (10-08-2024), PSPorsche (10-08-2024)
Old 10-08-2024 | 01:36 AM
smilin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RG88
This definitely doesn't sound right.
i see what ya did there. good one.
The following 2 users liked this post by smilin:
Bruce R (10-08-2024), Icegrill (10-08-2024)
Old 10-08-2024 | 01:37 AM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

everyone taking apart their cars tomorrow?
The following users liked this post:
bz_911 (Yesterday)
Old 10-08-2024 | 02:00 AM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Yikes
Old 10-08-2024 | 02:03 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Following.
Old 10-08-2024 | 02:21 AM
sids
Intermediate

Yikes! What year is your car? Purchased new or used?
Old 10-08-2024 | 07:29 AM
Newbie T
Intermediate

No wonder you wanted to upgrade, clearly the "Bose" was not delivering the sound it suppose to deliver!
Old 10-08-2024 | 07:35 AM
jezzaa
Advanced

Wow, I wonder how many other ‘Bose’ equipped cars are having this but the owners have no idea. Following this thread.

i see you said “ ASK amp won’t like the lower 2.5 ohm load of the Feelart speaker causing the amp to shut down and protect itself.” - I bought the feelart kit to replace my base ASK system and Peter never mentioned this to me. In fact he recommended the feelart over the focal setup. Seems odd and I’m wondering if this is why my feelart setup right now has no bass
Old 10-08-2024 | 08:12 AM
x-ray
Advanced

Originally Posted by jezzaa
Wow, I wonder how many other ‘Bose’ equipped cars are having this but the owners have no idea. Following this thread.

i see you said “ ASK amp won’t like the lower 2.5 ohm load of the Feelart speaker causing the amp to shut down and protect itself.” - I bought the feelart kit to replace my base ASK system and Peter never mentioned this to me. In fact he recommended the feelart over the focal setup. Seems odd and I’m wondering if this is why my feelart setup right now has no bass
So the feelart woofer can be wired in two ways since it is a dual voice coil woofer. The Bose way has an impedance of about 2-2.5 ohms and the ASK way has 4 ohm impedance. Theoretically if you wooders were wired the Bose way you would have NO output from the woofer it should be very noticable. Play thinging with lots of bass and see if you fell any air movement from the woofer area.

Car was ordered new by my on 12/2/23 and built 2/29/24. Not a used car nor a demo.

X
Old 10-08-2024 | 09:59 AM
J Irwan
Racer

Wow...
Did you also get Bose amp as well ? I see that you have Bose in the PCM, if I recall there were couple option for Bose in PCM like surround and linear sound , etc.. Do you see these option in the PCM as well ?

I am wondering what would be the quickest way to check on this, aside from pulling the door panel and take the speaker out.

Last edited by J Irwan; 10-08-2024 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-08-2024 | 10:12 AM
jezzaa
Advanced

Do you have a centre speaker behind the chrono clock? or if not, at least existing wiring there?

mine is the ASK system and upon ordering the audiofrog centre I realise I can’t use it because the base ASK system does not have wiring (and no speaker) there

Quick Reply: Paid for Bose Stereo, got the Base system. Think Porsche scammed me.