Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric Cables - incorrect length or user error?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2024 | 04:30 PM
seewong
Instructor

Default Numeric Cables - incorrect length or user error?

Hey All,
I bought 997 numeric cables (NM202) from a fellow Rennlister and thought I was on the other side of the hump after struggling to push the grommet back into place. I went to adjust the cables on the transmission side, and noticed that i could not adjust the cables as short as the stock ones! The shift rod end bottoms out on the threads before I can align it with the shift lever in the forward position. When comparing the shift cables to stock, the stock ones are about 3/8" shorter than the shortest adjustment of the numeric cables. Hopefully the pictures illustrate the differences. I am currently waiting for a response from Numeric.

I found 2 mentions online about cutting the threaded ends of the cables in order to get the correct adjustment, but I wanted to double check that I am not missing something before moving forward. (See this 996 thread, and post #28 here). My car is a 2005 997.1 and my problem is identical to the 996 thread. What confuses me is that these were previously installed (on a 997 GT3) and if this is not a user error, why is it not more widespread? Thought I would post here before putting 2 nuts on and cutting some of the threads off. Thanks in advance!

Rod end bottoms out here

May need to cut the threads AND shave the bottom of the rod end to get this to fit and keep the locking nut
Old 09-27-2024 | 12:42 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Can you adjust the bracket a little? I did mine 4 years ago and can’t remember if I ran into an issue like that.

Here’s what mine looks like just in case it helps.

Old 09-27-2024 | 05:22 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What about moving the shift rod on the transmission or is that position as far as it goes in that direction?
Old 09-27-2024 | 08:17 AM
seewong
Instructor

The bracket is pretty beefy and I would prefer to not bend it.

I fully disconnected the cables on the other end to remove that variable. I'm trying to follow this guide and if I lock the rod end in the shortest position it will limit the travel of the shift rod on the transmission. It needs to be even shorter.
The following users liked this post:
prestonj67 (10-02-2024)
Old 10-01-2024 | 12:07 PM
seewong
Instructor

Circling back if anyone has this issue in the future. I never heard back from Numeric nor could I get ahold of them over the phone. I ended up cutting about 1/4" off of one of the rod ends, then chasing the threads. With this adjustment, I was able to get perfect engagement in all gears!

Shortened rod end on the left

Shortened rod end on the right, the other one did not require any modification to adjust correctly
The following users liked this post:
TRINITONY (10-01-2024)
Old 10-01-2024 | 12:09 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Nice work and congrats on a happy outcome. Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Numeric Cables - incorrect length or user error?