Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tires for the Colorado mountains

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2024 | 01:41 PM
thor2j
Rennlist Member

Default Tires for the Colorado mountains

Just got a 991. 2 TTS. Has brand new pirelli p-zeros on it. My dilemma is this. I live at 8000 feet elevation. Only time it's guaranteed to be above 40 is beginning of June until about now. Will be below 40 tonight. I won't drive the car in any type of real snow. It's an extra car, but would like to drive it on the many days we have that are sunny and beautiful but well below 40. Leaning towards running Continental DWS06+ year round. Hate to buy another set of wheels for literally only 4 months. Dedicated winters are a problem because even though it's going to be below 40 tonight, it's going to be 75 for the few days after. Would destroy winter tires.
I've read the reviews of the contis on here and seems that the plus versions are pretty good.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 09-21-2024 | 01:42 PM
GoTime
Rennlist Member

Michelin ps as?
Old 09-21-2024 | 02:14 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Maybe this will help too: https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...son-tires.html
Old 09-21-2024 | 02:31 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I also live in the Colorado mountains and spent the last 14 years at close to 8,000 feet of elevation. I decided to handle this concern by buying a dedicated set of wheels for my summer tires and keeping my OE wheels for my winter tires. I run Michelin PS4S in the summer and Michelin Latitude Alpin in the colder months. I typically do the seasonal switch on October 15th and on May 15th. My 911 is also a 3rd car, so I don’t typically drive it in snow. I do find an opportunity to drive it in virtually every month of the winter.
Old 09-21-2024 | 03:16 PM
gyh
Rennlist Member

Same as @Dennis C , I live in CO and swap out between summers and winters and will buy a new set of summer wheels in the spring. The Pilot Alpin's are great in the winter and I drive my car year round, including skiing. Car is fine even in real snow with these tires - handled 6" of fresh in summit county no problem. That said, if you really don't want to use your car that way (though as you can see by my avatar, I really like using it that way and would recommend it to others) and only want something that can handle the low temps and no real snow, the Conti all seasons are probably fine. I personally like my summers in the summer and winters in the winter, but I get that at 8,000' the cost/benefit analysis is a bit different. For what it's worth, I put my winters on in November and take them off in late April and I don't feel like the Alpins suffered significantly in terms of degradation from driving on the warm days, particularly if this isn't your primary car. Mine have two seasons on them and are going into a third. There's a set on sale now in the marketplace and the seller is willing to ship. https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1426363

Last edited by gyh; 09-21-2024 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-21-2024 | 03:49 PM
thor2j
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gyh
Same as @Dennis C , I live in CO and swap out between summers and winters and will buy a new set of summer wheels in the spring. The Pilot Alpin's are great in the winter and I drive my car year round, including skiing. Car is fine even in real snow with these tires - handled 6" of fresh in summit county no problem. That said, if you really don't want to use your car that way (though as you can see by my avatar, I really like using it that way and would recommend it to others) and only want something that can handle the low temps and no real snow, the Conti all seasons are probably fine. I personally like my summers in the summer and winters in the winter, but I get that at 8,000' the cost/benefit analysis is a bit different. For what it's worth, I put my winters on in November and take them off in late April and I don't feel like the Alpins suffered significantly in terms of degradation from driving on the warm days, particularly if this isn't your primary car. Mine have two seasons on them and are going into a third. There's a set on sale now in the marketplace and the seller is willing to ship. https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1426363
summers would never work where I am until beginning of June. 2 years ago got 30 inches may 31st.
Old 09-21-2024 | 03:53 PM
thor2j
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gyh
Originally Posted by GoTime
Michelin ps as?
contis get way better reviews
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (09-22-2024)
Old 09-22-2024 | 12:36 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

We have had snow in June and even July at my house. We’ve also had snow in September. It doesn’t last long when it snows that early or that late. I leave the Porsche in the garage and drive my truck on those days.

I drove my 996 and my 997 all year, including skiing. I ran Latitude Alpins on the 997 and Blizzaks on the 996.

Personally, I would only consider running an all-season tire all year if I lived at a lower altitude. I run all-seasons as the summer tire on my truck and my wife’s Jaguar. I install proper winter tires on those cars every October.

When we first moved to the mountains, I had all-season tires on my Cayenne S. The first winter storm showed me that I needed a proper winter tire. The Cayenne couldn’t make it up my driveway with all-seasons, even with AWD.
Old 09-22-2024 | 02:02 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GoTime
Michelin ps as?
Michelin PS AS4 tires are great, but not available in TTS sizes at present. Continental DWS 06+ is the highest-rated ultra-high-performance (UHP) all season at present in OEM Porsche TTS sizes.

I run them year-round on mine because they are also very grippy during the summer months, and all one needs for street use. I have no problems keeping up with the GT3 and GT3 RS crowd on our spirited summer PCA cruises, and they are often on Cup2s.

Last edited by Foosh; 09-22-2024 at 02:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
thor2j (09-22-2024)
Old 09-24-2024 | 03:49 AM
Nikolov
Racer

I run Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 on all my cars in the winter. It's important to order homologated tires (N0 for Porsche), at least for the Pilot Alpin 4, because the thread pattern without homologation is completely different on the PA4 above 275 width.
Old 09-24-2024 | 11:18 PM
thor2j
Rennlist Member

Ok. Going to run alpin 4 in the winter and for now the p zeros in summer since they are new.

Thanks
Now need to find new summer wheels.
The following 3 users liked this post by thor2j:
Beezupra (09-25-2024), Cyclman (09-25-2024), HeyNowSkippy (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024 | 09:44 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I think you’ll be happy with your decision based on where you live and how you plan to use your car. Every decision has consequences and some compromise. There’s no way around it. Going with a set of dedicated winter wheels and tires is expensive, it’s a pain to swap them for the seasons, etc. It’s fun though because you get to change the look of your car for the warm and cold seasons, and you can drive with confidence in snowy conditions.
Old 09-25-2024 | 11:26 AM
thor2j
Rennlist Member

So the dedicated porsche alpin 4s in 295/30/20 says max rim width 11.0". But the 991.2 Turbo S has 11.5. Does that mean I need to run 305 non porsche specific , get 11.0 wheels, or it'll just stretch a little?

Quick Reply: Tires for the Colorado mountains