Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T to 991.1 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2024, 11:16 AM
jbenegasi
Track Day

Received 40 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 992 Carrera T to 991.1 GT3

As the title states I am thinking about trading my T in for a freshly CPO .1 GT3. Since this is a 2014; I am somewhat worried about the engine issues on the F series engines. I really like driving my cars and put 10k over the past 15 months on the T.

They are going to give me 118k for my T(MSRP 126) towards the gt3 with 13k miles with original engine. Is this something I should jump on or can I do better? Listing link
Old 09-18-2024, 11:30 AM
Booth9999
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 119 Posts

Unique color and you probably won’t have the opportunity to buy it again. $150 seems high with original engine. Are you prepared to replace the engine financially if it pops?
The following users liked this post:
jbenegasi (09-18-2024)
Old 09-18-2024, 11:51 AM
jbenegasi
Track Day

Originally Posted by Booth9999
Unique color and you probably won’t have the opportunity to buy it again. $150 seems high with original engine. Are you prepared to replace the engine financially if it pops?
That is where I am getting hung up.. I’d have the CPO for two years, but after that I would seriously have to consider if I want to risk a 50k+ repair bill. Ideally this would be a car that I keep a long time. Maybe I should buy it hoping the engine goes before the CPO is up and re evaluate near the end of the warranty if it doesn’t pop.
Old 09-18-2024, 12:26 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 412 Posts

I wouldn’t do this deal. Let’s say you’re fine with their ask for the sake of this example. For $10-$20k more you can find a 991.2 GT3 (PDK) with 25k+ miles. And, not have the constant anxiety of a fatal engine issue.

Yes it’s CPO because that’s how they are attempting to justify that massive ask on an original engine 2014. My gut tells me this car is around $100k the moment there is no warranty attached to it. Agree the color is unique, and nice that it has PCCB,

I believe you can do much better! Often when I come across these threads, at least for me, one glaring part is missing. Where is the…I found my dream spec GT3, what do you think…To this point, what exactly are you looking for. You’re in the driver’s seat. If I’m buying a GT3 whether a .1 or .2, I’m not making any deal if it’s not exactly why I want. And if I’m buying a .1 GT3, it would need to have a G6 motor, or be a screaming deal that’s to good to pas on.
The following 2 users liked this post by CubsFan1:
catdog2 (09-21-2024), jbenegasi (09-18-2024)
Old 09-18-2024, 01:18 PM
jbenegasi
Track Day

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
I wouldn’t do this deal. Let’s say you’re fine with their ask for the sake of this example. For $10-$20k more you can find a 991.2 GT3 (PDK) with 25k+ miles. And, not have the constant anxiety of a fatal engine issue.

Yes it’s CPO because that’s how they are attempting to justify that massive ask on an original engine 2014. My gut tells me this car is around $100k the moment there is no warranty attached to it. Agree the color is unique, and nice that it has PCCB,

I believe you can do much better! Often when I come across these threads, at least for me, one glaring part is missing. Where is the…I found my dream spec GT3, what do you think…To this point, what exactly are you looking for. You’re in the driver’s seat. If I’m buying a GT3 whether a .1 or .2, I’m not making any deal if it’s not exactly why I want. And if I’m buying a .1 GT3, it would need to have a G6 motor, or be a screaming deal that’s to good to pas on.
I agree that I’d have anxiety about the engine any time I took a long trip in the car. Before I drove the car and saw the color in person I was indifferent about the spec. Now I kinda love the color. Not sure I want to be left holding the bag on this one once CPO is up.
Old 09-18-2024, 01:27 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,192 Posts

I wouldn’t do it because of engine concern.

Also, if your T is manual, I’d have a hard time giving up manual for the PDK if that’s important to you.
Old 09-18-2024, 01:34 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 412 Posts

It’s an unfortunate reality for the 991.1 GT3. The look, the feel, the sound…it’s all there. And with prices escalating on new GT cars, this is often the model that gets a lot of attention. I would be patient and keep looking. Write down what you want most out of the experience. What is it that’s not meeting that need with the T that you want to switch?

Old 09-18-2024, 01:36 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by jbenegasi
As the title states I am thinking about trading my T in for a freshly CPO .1 GT3. Since this is a 2014; I am somewhat worried about the engine issues on the F series engines. I really like driving my cars and put 10k over the past 15 months on the T.

They are going to give me 118k for my T(MSRP 126) towards the gt3 with 13k miles with original engine. Is this something I should jump on or can I do better? Listing link
If you plan to drive it and drive as intended (especially some track use) BUY IT! You will not get another opp to purchase such a rare PTS spec, and that original E-series motor WILL eat itself. Can nearly guarantee the motor already has some FF/cam wear if ever driven 'spiritedly."
I would be certain to have a PPI despite a dealer car, and verify motor serial #. Some folks have reported buying what they thought was an E/F-series motor only to discover they in-fact had a G6. I am unable to see the tire DOT code on those CUP2s, so be sure to check they are not six or more years of age. I have purchased two CPO cars from a dealer with each having very old tires. That can also be an indicator of track use which in your case is welcomed!
$150K is much too high price even for a PTS spec. A new motor is >$70K, and a PDK approx $20-25K both covered under CPO.
Tell them to add the Porsche Platinum VSP warranty an additional three yrs after CPO expiration. Believe max the car can go is 15yrs under extended warranty thru Porsche.
https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...ctionplan/vsp/
My car had 14k miles at purchase, and she let-go at 24k. Car is covered thru 2028 or 101k miles, and had G6 installed 2022.
Gold or gloss black OEM wheels would look amazing on that color!

Last edited by slipaway37; 09-18-2024 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added additonal information.
The following users liked this post:
jbenegasi (09-18-2024)
Old 09-18-2024, 01:42 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

I agree that I’d have anxiety about the engine any time I took a long trip in the car. Before I drove the car and saw the color in person I was indifferent about the spec. Now I kinda love the color. Not sure I want to be left holding the bag on this one once CPO is up.
Even if she let's go on a road trip you can still drive the car. It just will not exceed 8,250 RPM.
I drove over 400 miles to a respected dealer for G6 replacement after throwing the codes.
If you do NOT plan to drive it hard ALL THE TIME and don't have the opp to get on a track event, pass especially at that ridic price.
If not you, someone will certainly snag that Unicorn. I have NEVER seen that color-ever.
Old 09-18-2024, 02:16 PM
Jonathan_987
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

PTS (does it really look good in reality?!), but no bucket seats, no leather package, no seat heating (the only real advantage of those seats) etc. I wonder what the intention of the original configuration was? That together with the uncertainty of the engine and the comparatively high price ... I wouldn't buy it myself.
Old 09-18-2024, 02:22 PM
jbenegasi
Track Day

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
It’s an unfortunate reality for the 991.1 GT3. The look, the feel, the sound…it’s all there. And with prices escalating on new GT cars, this is often the model that gets a lot of attention. I would be patient and keep looking. Write down what you want most out of the experience. What is it that’s not meeting that need with the T that you want to switch?
I didn’t know what I was missing out on until yesterday lol. The sound of the NA flat six was intoxicating. My T is a manual so that is a point in its favor, but the sound is just not there on the new turbocharged cars.
Old 09-18-2024, 02:25 PM
Yc911Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 873 Likes on 460 Posts

be careful with limegold tho. It'll be a tough sale down the road
Old 09-18-2024, 02:27 PM
jbenegasi
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jonathan_987
PTS (does it really look good in reality?!), but no bucket seats, no leather package, no seat heating (the only real advantage of those seats) etc. I wonder what the intention of the original configuration was? That together with the uncertainty of the engine and the comparatively high price ... I wouldn't buy it myself.
Color is obviously subjective, but I personally loved it. I am not too picky when it comes to spec as long as the color is right and it has the FAL I’m good to go. The engine made me ultimately pass on this car. Regardless of warranty I don’t want to be worried even time I take a road trip with my girlfriend.
Old 09-18-2024, 02:28 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
be careful with limegold tho. It'll be a tough sale down the road
Why do you say that?
Old 09-18-2024, 02:30 PM
slipaway37
Rennlist Member

Color is obviously subjective, but I personally loved it. I am not too picky when it comes to spec as long as the color is right and it has the FAL I’m good to go. The engine made me ultimately pass on this car. Regardless of warranty I don’t want to be worried even time I take a road trip with my girlfriend.
That's too bad.
Be sure to follow that car and watch how quickly a knowing buyer get's a new motor after purchase.........

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T to 991.1 GT3