Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your windscreen seal - is water in the corners under the lip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2024, 01:35 AM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Your windscreen seal - is water in the corners under the lip?

Just cleaning the windows today I noticed a drop of kochGc disappear into the seal as it ran down the side of the windscreen. So I got curious and grabbed the trim tools to look under the seal. Full of water, both sides about 4-5 inches from the corners inward. Last time I washed the car with water was maybe 2 months ago. It lives in the garage full time and the seals still look/flex new.

The windscreen is a P SIGLA and the rest of glass is P SEKURIT. The screen was replaced in POship in the late 90s or early 00s due to rock chip, with a new seal all genuine.

What I can't see if if there is just water up top here between the glass and the rubber top flap, or if there is also water under the seal making contact with steel frame. In which case I suppose I had better get the windscreen off and have a look.

Luckily haven't had to do glass in any my P cars. If I imagine what's in there, this could be the seal doing it's job correctly, and the top seal flap is cosmetic only. The seal happens between the glass pressed against the rubber underneath, and the seal to steel frame under that (is there glue there?)

Last edited by wicks; 09-16-2024 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-16-2024, 02:54 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

It is inherent that some water will make its way pass the window seal. The seals are not IPX7!! After a wash I use my compressor to blow the water out from underneath the seal. I hear some owners use a leaf blower.
Old 09-18-2024, 12:24 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,123 Posts

And now you know why these rust at the windscreen corners :-)

Old 09-18-2024, 03:17 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

And why if you have the a windscreen replaced you want it replaced carefully without damaging the paint and exposing any bare metal.
Old 09-19-2024, 01:17 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 150 Posts

#1 I replaced with 993 glass and seals
#2 You have to take compressed air and blow the water out while pulling the seal up with a poly nylon type tool
Old 09-19-2024, 01:37 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Just went across the whole window with air and nylon trim tool, and I'got a good 1/4 cup of water splashed around. Luckily the water looks clean and clear not rusty/dirty.

All the way across the windscreen, a lot was pooled in the center area where it's flat as well. The seal rubber is still taught against the glass.

Is the 993 seal better? I don't want to ditch the original glass, but fixing this flaw would be nice. Terrible!!! I'm quite tempted to use a silicon or some kind of sealer to attach the seal trim to the glass.

Last edited by wicks; 09-19-2024 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2024, 03:32 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 138 Posts

Stories like yours have me wanting to never wash my car.

Nowadays if I wash it, I use minimum water, minimum pressure from hose and I don't direct the water at the windows, sunroof seals or anywhere near the spoiler. I used to wash my cars after any road trip that involved bugs but with my 964 I will instead use a spray bottle of detailer and a soft cloth to remove the bugs. I still wash the car once a year, hand dry it, inspect frunk and cabin for water ingress and then give it a wax. It's not a daily driver so it does not see rain.

To the OP, I hope you get the leak fixed. Do you think it was due to the replacement window or should we all be peeking under the seal after a wash?
Old 09-19-2024, 03:46 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

had mine done lof time ago, but did not trust the work so recently pull the front and rear screens out and the paint has lots of bubbles meaning there is rust under the paint, so I will rub the paint treat and repaint properly.
There was a suggestion to drill holes but how to fit a drain tube, I think some had sealant fitted between the rubber seal and frame .
Old 09-19-2024, 09:27 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts

Since this is a known issue why don't people peal back the seal and lay in a bead of weather strip adhesive under it?

Pete

Quick Reply: Your windscreen seal - is water in the corners under the lip?