Sponsored by:

Any Alabama drivers here? Looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2024, 11:50 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Any Alabama drivers here? Looking for suggestions

Am driving from Toronto to LA in mid Oct. 7 days of driving at around 10 hrs per day hitting some good roads - google maps set to no tolls and no highways!

I did this trip 5 yrs ago and on day 3 went from TN and the Tellico pass through Decatur (ie north of Birmingham). Is there any advantage to go south of Birmingham (near Goodawter?) once I am out of TN for better roads??

Went to the regional forums and there is East/West/Central but no South? WTH

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks
Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,367 Likes on 1,533 Posts

All the good roads are in North Georgia and Tennessee (near Pigeon Forge). Anything around Birmingham is pretty much flat and featureless. though stopping at Barber Raceway is worthwhile, and touring their motorcycle museum.
The following users liked this post:
passat774 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM
vern1
Drifting

Thanks. I will be doing the TOTD, Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway etc on the way down

Doesn't sound like there is any reason to detour south of Birmingham
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM
Tbounds
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Am driving from Toronto to LA in mid Oct. 7 days of driving at around 10 hrs per day hitting some good roads - google maps set to no tolls and no highways!

I did this trip 5 yrs ago and on day 3 went from TN and the Tellico pass through Decatur (ie north of Birmingham). Is there any advantage to go south of Birmingham (near Goodawter?) once I am out of TN for better roads??

Went to the regional forums and there is East/West/Central but no South? WTH

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks
i assume when you say Toronto to LA your referring to Los Angeles , CA ?
In Alabama when you say LA we think Lower Alabama which is the beach on the gulf.
whic is alway a good reason the go south of Birmingham to beach you could take in beach front driving no curves but beautiful beaches
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,367 Likes on 1,533 Posts

Thanks. I will be doing the TOTD, Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway etc on the way down

Doesn't sound like there is any reason to detour south of Birmingham
I live in Northern VA and have done Skyline and BRP several times on a motorcycle from VA to GA. Its BORING as hell and you can make zero time on those roads, because there are almost no passing zones and you get stuck at 35 mph behind the leaf watchers and RV's. Cops patrol it and are unsympathetic to those that pass on double yellows or speed. You will be on there for two hours and look at your odometer and see you only went 70 miles, and the curves get monotonous. It takes three to four days to do it end to end. So, my recommendation is to do sections of the road, and plan your route so that you enter and can leave the scenic byways near I-81. Get on Skyline at Front Royal for example and run it 66 miles to the Swift Run Gap Entrance/Exit and then run I-81 for a couple of hours. Come back to the Blue RIdge Parkway and run another 60 miles on it, then back to the Interstate. Your goal should be Pigeon Forge TN in a day (from Front Royal VA) and there you will find the best driving roads in the entire country.

Dont' stay in Pigeon Forge, its a zoo and very commercial with gawdawful traffic. Splurge and get a mountaintop cabin - spend a whole day on the roads here and two nights. The views are incredible from many of these luxury cabins. Something like this

https://www.hearthsidecabinrentals.c...passions-peak/

Of course you have Tail of the Dragon (Deal's Gap) which is 118 corners in 18 miles. It's heavily patrolled and full of gonzo bikers, so the key to doing that road is very early in the morning for the most fun. The cops and bikers don't show up until about 9 a.m, so at 7:30 in the morning you have it all to yourself for the most part.

But the crown jewel is the Cherohala Skyway. It's a magnificent drive of 43 miles and is better for cars than the Dragon. Big, sweeping vistas and plenty of Porsche-friendly roadway. And its far less patrolled than the Dragon. This is the highlight drive of the region. https://cherohala.com/. Tip: The Robbinsville cops are NOT friendly. Do not speed or make any traffic infractions in the town limits, they write tickets like McDonalds pushes Big Macs, its a revenue source for the town,

At the end of Cheohala is Tellico Plains. There is a bakery there that usually has a line out the door and the best Apple Turnovers I have ever had. We always stop there and it never disappoints. . https://tellico-grains-bakery.com/

As you leave Tellico Plains, the roads begin to smooth out a bit and become less hilly. You may pass where some of the 1996 water events were held for the Atlantic Olympics and that's scenic. Once you get to Atlanta and head south, its just flat slab, nothing to really see or do roadwise,

Hope you have a great trip!

Last edited by drcollie; Yesterday at 10:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
RealityGT (Today), russbert (Today)
Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tbounds
i assume when you say Toronto to LA your referring to Los Angeles , CA ?
In Alabama when you say LA we think Lower Alabama which is the beach on the gulf.
whic is alway a good reason the go south of Birmingham to beach you could take in beach front driving no curves but beautiful beaches
Thanks. And yes, Los Angeles. Much as I love beaches, just wont have enough time to get that far south
Originally Posted by drcollie
I live in Northern VA and have done Skyline and BRP several times on a motorcycle from VA to GA. Its BORING as hell and you can make zero time on those roads, because there are almost no passing zones and you get stuck at 35 mph behind the leaf watchers and RV's. Cops patrol it and are unsympathetic to those that pass on double yellows or speed. You will be on there for two hours and look at your odometer and see you only went 70 miles, and the curves get monotonous. It takes three to four days to do it end to end. So, my recommendation is to do sections of the road, and plan your route so that you enter and can leave the scenic byways near I-81. Get on Skyline at Front Royal for example and run it 66 miles to the Swift Run Gap Entrance/Exit and then run I-81 for a couple of hours. Come back to the Blue RIdge Parkway and run another 60 miles on it, then back to the Interstate. Your goal should be Pigeon Forge TN in a day (from Front Royal VA) and there you will find the best driving roads in the entire country.

Dont' stay in Pigeon Forge, its a zoo and very commercial with gawdawful traffic. Splurge and get a mountaintop cabin - spend a whole day on the roads here and two nights. The views are incredible from many of these luxury cabins. Something like this

https://www.hearthsidecabinrentals.c...passions-peak/

Of course you have Tail of the Dragon (Deal's Gap) which is 118 corners in 18 miles. It's heavily patrolled and full of gonzo bikers, so the key to doing that road is very early in the morning for the most fun. The cops and bikers don't show up until about 9 a.m, so at 7:30 in the morning you have it all to yourself for the most part.

But the crown jewel is the Cherohala Skyway. It's a magnificent drive of 43 miles and is better for cars than the Dragon. Big, sweeping vistas and plenty of Porsche-friendly roadway. And its far less patrolled than the Dragon. This is the highlight drive of the region. https://cherohala.com/. Tip: The Robbinsville cops are NOT friendly. Do not speed or make any traffic infractions in the town limits, they write tickets like McDonalds pushes Big Macs, its a revenue source for the town,

At the end of Cheohala is Tellico Plains. There is a bakery there that usually has a line out the door and the best Apple Turnovers I have ever had. We always stop there and it never disappoints. . https://tellico-grains-bakery.com/

As you leave Tellico Plains, the roads begin to smooth out a bit and become less hilly. You may pass where some of the 1996 water events were held for the Atlantic Olympics and that's scenic. Once you get to Atlanta and head south, its just flat slab, nothing to really see or do roadwise,

Hope you have a great trip!
Thanks, awesome info! My 2nd day takes me through Skyline, BRP etc arriving in Spruce Pine, NC after 10 hrs. I didnt get a chance to do BRP last time (govt shutdown) I did a similar trip so I thought I would try it but I didnt think about all the Fall sightseers. I can make the call at the time if it gets frustrating. I will check out the cabins though

Spruce Pine leaves me just east of TOTD. I just dont have the time to spend 2 nights there so really have to pick 1 route on my way through. Current route is #19 to 28 to 119 and TOTD then back down 68 through Tellico Plains and southwest. Last time I did this I took Cherohala Skyway as my choice as many people said exactly what you did (ie TOTD overrated). However last time it was mid Jan and most of Cherohala was covered in ice when i got up in height - was terrifying even with winter tires and 4 wheel drive - think I averaged about 5 mph. So maybe I try it again as unlikely to have ice in Oct

Great tips, thanks!
Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM
IXIXI
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 62 Posts

Dr. Collie, I would politely disagree. There are numerous drives around Bham. The best drives I would agree are in North GA (Highland etc.) and TN with the best ones IMO around the Chattanooga area which includes the Tail. If you do end up Bham send a PM and I would be happy to take you on a good drive. I get back to town after the 20th.

FYI, there is a 132 mile drive from Chattanooga to Bham alone which is all rolling hills.

Last edited by IXIXI; Yesterday at 11:25 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM
shack993
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 127 Posts

Please share that 132 mile drive!

I live in LA (lower Alabama). There are lots of good drives south of Montgomery with rolling hills and sweeping corners. Nothing like TOTD but still really good driving.
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM
IXIXI
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 62 Posts

Im at Perdido for the week but would be happy to do some good drives, PM when you are thinking about coming up. I live right next to Barbers and schedule all the club drives I setup from there. I will be setting up a PCA Gran Tour drive for air cooled cars soon which you would like. All cars are welcome but the air cooled/vintage P cars are in front to keep the speed relative.

Note: the PCA drives depart from the Porsche Birmingham location, non P clubs I am part of leave from Barbers…

Last edited by IXIXI; Yesterday at 11:36 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by IXIXI
Dr. Collie, I would politely disagree. There are numerous drives around Bham. The best drives I would agree are in North GA (Highland etc.) and TN with the best ones IMO around the Chattanooga area which includes the Tail. If you do end up Bham send a PM and I would be happy to take you on a good drive. I get back to town after the 20th.

FYI, there is a 132 mile drive from Chattanooga to Bham alone which is all rolling hills.
Yes I would be interested in that route as well. I assume Bham is Birmingham. Right now current route is this:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pine...oASAFQAw%3D%3D
Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes I would be interested in that route as well. I assume Bham is Birmingham. Right now current route is this:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pine...oASAFQAw%3D%3D
You're going to go right past Mercier Orchards. I'd suggest hitting it up, most of the pick your own might be done by then but never know. Great apple orchard, huge store, and they have tastings for wine, etc.. Some good restaurants in Blue Ridge as well.
vern1 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM
TheGeneral
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 116 Posts

You could always work your way to Nashville and get on the Natchez Trace Parkway - much like the BRP - which takes you 444 miles to Natchez, MS missing AL. https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/maps.htm
vern1 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM
Tbounds
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

It’s nice but 50mph slow you can’t drive it that long or you will die of boredom
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM
jctsc
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in the are as well and would love to do some rides around B'ham.

Last edited by jctsc; Yesterday at 10:17 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheGeneral
You could always work your way to Nashville and get on the Natchez Trace Parkway - much like the BRP - which takes you 444 miles to Natchez, MS missing AL. https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/maps.htm
I will hit some of NTP but will hook into it somewhere south of Tupelo - thanks
Originally Posted by Tbounds
It’s nice but 50mph slow you can’t drive it that long or you will die of boredom
Love to hear some alternatives if you have them.

I have found that the only place you can make up time is on the interstates but they bore me more than a scenic 50mph drive

Quick Reply: Any Alabama drivers here? Looking for suggestions