Sponsored by:

crazy convertible to coupe question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2024, 05:04 AM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 303 Posts
Default crazy convertible to coupe question

The 993 convertible starts life as a coupe shell, and the factory cuts off the roof, and then fits (lower down) strengthening/stiffening metal to compensate.

Has anyone reversed that move, and welded a tin-top back onto a convertible? (I know, I know, the rain gutter would be a nightmare)

I know that some coupe sunroof deletes involve the 'whole-roof' , where the cut/reweld happens just at the top of A and C pillars, but could you do it at the bottom of the C pillars ?

I also know that buying a D.Moris hardtop would be cheaper, but......

Thanks for any crazy input
Old 08-25-2024, 05:04 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Hi Orange Curry.
I am not sure the sheet metal rear quarters are the same for the coupe & the cabriolet. Even if they are, a weld-up conversion car would lose significant market value with such a modification. It might be a better move to just sell the cabriolet and go find a coup to purchase. As far as a sunroof delete goes I would just weld up the existing sunroof opening. For me, it seems cutting the pillars is significantly more invasive with the potential to ruin the unibody.
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 08-25-2024 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2024, 05:42 PM
IainM
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 244 Posts

A couple is episodes of Ian Roussel and I was going to buy some welding gear. A couple series later and there is nothing that cannot be done with metal.
can’t answer your questions but admire your resolve. Document the journey well!!
Old 08-25-2024, 09:53 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 150 Posts

The Inner B to C Cab quarter gets removed. That's the extra strength.
The B Pillar by itself is just the RS america type. Carpet only. The Rear Cowl is easy. The tough part is the Inner C-Pillar reaches up to connect to the roof.
The Roof cuts rarely ever cut into the quarters. I've completed a handful of roof jobs. Finishing with 993 glass is easier but $$
Value rests back at Cab's value. Roof skin is the only part made today. D-morris's Taiwan Manufacture is working on recreating the Body. They are so focused on recreating the Targa.
They are almost complete with the design. Coupe pieces might be in 2-5 years. I asked for the Parts. Parts meaning inner C pillar to A pillar. B pillar, rear Cowl. The piece that has the main rain gutter might be difficult to manufacture. Looks like a hockey Stick.
The Rear quarter is widely available and comes with the rain gutter.
The following users liked this post:
993FJ80 (08-26-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 10:05 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

Nice respose ^ Scott.

Could this not be a chance to go carbon?
The following users liked this post:
993FJ80 (08-26-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 10:50 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
Nice respose ^ Scott.

Carbon is just a Skin
Old 08-26-2024, 04:01 AM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
Nice respose ^ Scott.

Yes - thanks Scott. I thought it would be difficult but that inner pillar join sounds bad.

I have a coupe - convertibles are so cheap in comparison, I was thinking of a future project.
Old 08-26-2024, 05:15 AM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Scott Dunavant
D-morris's Taiwan Manufacture is working on recreating the Body. They are so focused on recreating the Targa.
They are almost complete with the design. Coupe pieces might be in 2-5 years. I asked for the Parts. Parts meaning inner C pillar to A pillar. B pillar, rear Cowl. The piece that has the main rain gutter might be difficult to manufacture. Looks like a hockey Stick.
The Rear quarter is widely available and comes with the rain gutter.
Do you mean the complex 993 Targa roof? Or the previous 911/964 Targa design?
Old 08-28-2024, 08:50 PM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 1,078 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecurry
The 993 convertible starts life as a coupe shell, and the factory cuts off the roof, and then fits (lower down) strengthening/stiffening metal to compensate.
Just catching up from two weeks vacation and had to ask... where is this information coming from? Either way it is false.

For the coupe, the windscreen frame includes the roof skin. It is the outer A-pillar (without the reinforcements, which are separate part numbers) and entire roof skin without any part of the B or C pillar. The side fender includes the B and C pillars and is specific to the coupe. The roof is joined to the top of the B/C pillars which are part of the coupe rear fenders.

For the Cabriolet, the windscreen frame is an entirely different part number w/o the roof skin and contains the structural reinforcement for the windscreen frame. The rear fenders don't contain the B or C pillar and are formed/ finished in a specific way along the top edge in order to weld them to specific reinforcements. They aren't "cut" versions of coupe fenders. The top edges are stamped differently. There are even specific fenders for Cab vs Targa as the top edges are formed differently from one another.

All part numbers and drawings are in the PET in the body section. Certainly coupes are not "cut" into cabs.

Old 08-29-2024, 04:32 AM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Something I read a very long time ago - your point is taken, but I was asking if anyone had tried this craziness. Obviously the windscreen frame would have to be different, and probably the doors, and a million other things.

Quick Reply: crazy convertible to coupe question