Sponsored by:

1st Time Post re: first 911 carerra

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2024, 01:05 AM
lakersgo82
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1st Time Post re: first 911 carerra

I am looking at the following 911 Carerra build for a CPO Arctic Gray, Black leather interior 911 (below). The car has less than 3K miles and is selling for below MSRP. It is CPO'd until 2029. For the most part I really like the configuration though missing is front axle lift and rear wheel steering...Tho it has Sport package PASM was not configured.

My question for the group: I don't have any plans to track the car - I plan for 2-3 days/wk for commuting and weekend drives. Is there anything glaring from the build below that I should consider further (ie. option A,B... is highly recommended or...) in my decision to move fwd or not...

Appreciate your guidance based on the build and how I expect to drive the car

​​​​​​AU Leather Interior in Black
U0 Arctic Grey
P3R Premium Package
4D3 Ventilated Seats (Front)
QE1 Storage Package 9VL BOSE Surround Sound System
8JU LED-Matrix Design Headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus
6XV Power Folding Exterior Mirrors
7Y1 Lane Change Assist (LCA)"
KA6 Surround View
QQ2 Ambient Lighting
PORSCHE Logo on Rear in High Gloss Black
2RB ""911"" Logo on Rear in High Gloss Black
3FE Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass"
VR4 SportDesign Side Skirts
2D1 SportDesign Package
6FU Exterior Mirror Lower Trim and Base in Exterior Color
8LH Sport Chrono Package
0P9 Sport Exhaust System incl. Tailpipes in Black
1N3 Power Steering Plus
0I2 Extended Range Fuel Tank (23.7 gal.)
1NX Wheels Painted in Satin Black
J 20"/21" RS Spyder Design Wheels
3J7 Porsche Crest on Headrests (Front)
Q1J Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
2FS GT Sport Steering Wheel in Leather
8VH Exclusive Design Taillights
Old 08-25-2024, 01:17 AM
MAXFPS
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lakersgo82
I am looking at the following 911 Carerra build for a CPO Arctic Gray, Black leather interior 911 (below). The car has less than 3K miles and is selling for below MSRP. It is CPO'd until 2029. For the most part I really like the configuration though missing is front axle lift and rear wheel steering...Tho it has Sport package PASM was not configured.

My question for the group: I don't have any plans to track the car - I plan for 2-3 days/wk for commuting and weekend drives. Is there anything glaring from the build below that I should consider further (ie. option A,B... is highly recommended or...) in my decision to move fwd or not...

Appreciate your guidance based on the build and how I expect to drive the car

​​​​​​AU Leather Interior in Black
U0 Arctic Grey
P3R Premium Package
4D3 Ventilated Seats (Front)
QE1 Storage Package 9VL BOSE Surround Sound System
8JU LED-Matrix Design Headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus
6XV Power Folding Exterior Mirrors
7Y1 Lane Change Assist (LCA)"
KA6 Surround View
QQ2 Ambient Lighting
PORSCHE Logo on Rear in High Gloss Black
2RB ""911"" Logo on Rear in High Gloss Black
3FE Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass"
VR4 SportDesign Side Skirts
2D1 SportDesign Package
6FU Exterior Mirror Lower Trim and Base in Exterior Color
8LH Sport Chrono Package
0P9 Sport Exhaust System incl. Tailpipes in Black
1N3 Power Steering Plus
0I2 Extended Range Fuel Tank (23.7 gal.)
1NX Wheels Painted in Satin Black
J 20"/21" RS Spyder Design Wheels
3J7 Porsche Crest on Headrests (Front)
Q1J Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
2FS GT Sport Steering Wheel in Leather
8VH Exclusive Design Taillights
This looks really good! Just about everything in there, and sadly these days even with 3K miles sometimes they ask over MSRP. If you can test drive this and like it, and it has a warranty and is under MSRP, that’s almost as good as it gets. Unless they offer you an MSRP build slot on a 992.2… there’s not much I’d change on that (front axle lift would be nice but otherwise it’s loaded)!
The following users liked this post:
pal (08-25-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 01:51 AM
lakersgo82
AutoX

Ty v much for the quick reply.

One addl q - Sport design I understand is mostly an aesthetic add vs functional add to improve performance or driving experience. Pls advise if accurate or not…

Is this a relatively common add to 911 carerra and if yes, does it help w value retention of the car?

Thx!
Old 08-25-2024, 02:01 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,156 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Ty v much for the quick reply.

One addl q - Sport design I understand is mostly an aesthetic add vs functional add to improve performance or driving experience. Pls advise if accurate or not…

Is this a relatively common add to 911 carerra and if yes, does it help w value retention of the car?

Thx!
I would say it's largely aesthetic, but there are aero advantages to the SD package.

As to resale, who knows, and who cares. Certainly not you. At least you shouldn't. Buy the car for you, not for the next owner.
Old 08-25-2024, 02:12 AM
MAXFPS
Instructor

Sports Design packages are mainly cosmetic but I’ve never seen any of them that DIDN’T make the car look cooler. Porsche knows this and charges up the wazoo. On the 992.2s SD is $4K more for a very subtle tweak to the lower front that you need to stand way back to even see… but yeah it’s cooler and right in your face on the configurer.
I agree with @ipse dixit , buy the car for you and don’t worry too much about resale. Unless you’re spending an extra $15K to Paint To Sample it in pink or something… then think hard. ;-)
Old 08-25-2024, 03:02 AM
lakersgo82
AutoX

Ty for your guidance. I live out of state where the car is located - hence may not b able to test drive. To get a feel for the drive i test drove a 911 in my area - granted its not the same car.

Are there some q’s you might suggest i ask the dealer for a car that is nearly new from an out of state buyer?

I've reviewed the cpo report and carfax as well…

To research the car further i used Bumper - I welcome ur thoughts too on this service. The report from bumper shows car is pretty clean…

I welcome your thoughts…

MAXFPS (08-25-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 03:21 AM
MAXFPS
Instructor

Ty for your guidance. I live out of state where the car is located - hence may not b able to test drive. To get a feel for the drive i test drove a 911 in my area - granted its not the same car.

Are there some q’s you might suggest i ask the dealer for a car that is nearly new from an out of state buyer?

I've reviewed the cpo report and carfax as well…

To research the car further i used Bumper - I welcome ur thoughts too on this service. The report from bumper shows car is pretty clean…

I welcome your thoughts…
Just ask for lots of high res pictures and your Sales Agent to look it over carefully and tell you what they see that’s got some wear and tear on it. Unless the car has Paint Protection Film already added aftermarket, expect a few nicks and chips on the lower areas even with only 3K miles. Honestly, with CPO it should be well checked out and still has warranty so as long as you’re expecting “really close to new but not perfect”, you’ve done your homework. Flying out and driving it home might be less costly and more fun than having it trucked (which has it’s own pitfalls - ask them to prep the battery for transport if it’ll be more than a day or two’s trucking and not leave the keys inside- mine arrived with the battery so dead it couldn’t get off the truck).
If that’s the config you want I’d jump on it. 911s aren’t exactly rare, but 911s the way you want them are very hard to find because there are so many different ways they’re configured, and very few CPO in any one dealer. Allocations to build them how you want are very rare and above list, so if what you want for a fair price can be had now, I’d jump on it.

PS - What dealership? Might punch them into search just to see if any particularly great/bad experiences here pop up. So far the dealerships and dealing with them seem to be the least-fun part of the buying experiences, but very much varies by dealership.

Last edited by MAXFPS; 08-25-2024 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-25-2024, 03:51 AM
lakersgo82
AutoX

Many thx for the guidance on the hi res pictures, prepping the battery and the keys. If not left inside the car then I'm assuming the truck driver should store in a cool location in his truck or...

One thing I've discussed w the SA is to also create a video of the car before it gets loaded on the truck assuming I buy the car. This together w the hi res pics per your recc will be good to have...
MAXFPS (08-25-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 08:55 AM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 514 Posts

SD rear also has extra ducting for the intercooler.
Old 08-25-2024, 11:27 AM
zanary
Pro

Received 748 Likes on 346 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by MAXFPS
Unless you’re spending an extra $15K to Paint To Sample it in pink or something… then think hard. ;-)
Nothing wrong with pink or Ruby Star Neo with the Spot Design Package or even the Aero Package (Sport Design + GTS Wing) .

MAXFPS (08-25-2024)
Old 08-25-2024, 03:34 PM
lakersgo82
AutoX

JHenson29, can you clarify the benefit of the extra ducting - does it provide a boost to performance at start or during acceleration or...Thx.
Old 08-25-2024, 06:52 PM
MAXFPS
Instructor

Originally Posted by zanary
Nothing wrong with pink or Ruby Star Neo with the Spot Design Package or even the Aero Package (Sport Design + GTS Wing) .

Oh I don't mean to disparage pink or Ruby Star. That's a beautiful car and the silver stripe with the turbonite badge is *chef's kiss*! I just drove a Ruby Star 911 S at PECLA this week actually and it is beautiful in person too. I only meant for the OP that if you're going to spend $15K for PTS in a very particular color, you're unlikely to get that back if resale value is a big concern.
Old 08-27-2024, 04:18 PM
Dec528
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty sure I was looking at that same car about a month ago. its very nicely equipped. Only thing is a month ago it was quite a bit over MSRP so I held off and then I was able to get an allocation on a 2025 base care at msrp from a local (Florida) dealer so went that route. Seems I got lucky in terms of securing an allocation as the other dealers in my area didn't have anything available. If you didn't already, you should check with the dealers in your area. And based on my experience they may not have something available today and then tomorrow they could have a cancellation and one becomes available, so its all about timing with some luck.
Old 08-28-2024, 01:49 AM
lakersgo82
AutoX

Will def check out local desler - up to now inventiry is scant - mostly gt used - not a fit for me

Thx for ur guudance!

Agree the car is nicely optioned - didnt realize it was selling above msrp - will d check this

Cheers
Old 08-28-2024, 03:01 AM
Chalk992911S
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MAXFPS
Just ask for lots of high res pictures and your Sales Agent to look it over carefully and tell you what they see that’s got some wear and tear on it. Unless the car has Paint Protection Film already added aftermarket, expect a few nicks and chips on the lower areas even with only 3K miles. Honestly, with CPO it should be well checked out and still has warranty so as long as you’re expecting “really close to new but not perfect”, you’ve done your homework. Flying out and driving it home might be less costly and more fun than having it trucked (which has it’s own pitfalls - ask them to prep the battery for transport if it’ll be more than a day or two’s trucking and not leave the keys inside- mine arrived with the battery so dead it couldn’t get off the truck).
If that’s the config you want I’d jump on it. 911s aren’t exactly rare, but 911s the way you want them are very hard to find because there are so many different ways they’re configured, and very few CPO in any one dealer. Allocations to build them how you want are very rare and above list, so if what you want for a fair price can be had now, I’d jump on it.

PS - What dealership? Might punch them into search just to see if any particularly great/bad experiences here pop up. So far the dealerships and dealing with them seem to be the least-fun part of the buying experiences, but very much varies by dealership.
100% on battery and keys! Mine shipped to me about 1,600 miles one way, arrived at 10pm at night dead as hell - 4 Volts, could not be jumped, (windows down, keys inside) and took me until 1am to swap the battery and pull the car out of the trailer. HUGE pain in the ***, and cost the selling dealer $1400 for a new battery, and my time to have the dealer install the battery. I would stress to the selling dealer, disconnect the battery once in the trailer. And do NOT close the hood all the way. That’s part of the issue, when the battery is so dead, you have to use jumper cables INSIDE the cab of the car on the electrical panel, just to power the hood-latch. It was my first Porsche, so I spent some time delivery night, figuring all this out.

Last edited by Chalk992911S; 08-28-2024 at 03:04 AM.
MAXFPS (08-29-2024)

Quick Reply: 1st Time Post re: first 911 carerra